Sigma DP Merrils Price Drop

really liked my DP2M when I had it - wish it was a bit faster in processing, a thethered option and usable iso up to 1600.

They are slow cameras but that's fine with me.
At least you don't have to wait for an image process before firing of another. Without the buffer it would get frustrating.
At the end of day the important thing...the output is pretty mind-blowing.

D'oh! moment.. when you realise that SPP for all it's faults does do a batch export to TIFF...

not really used mine much in awhile :/, mind not done much with any camera recently

I had both the DP2M and DP3M with me whilst in Bayern over half-term. This is a stitched panorama using the DP3M..

I really wanted a panorama looking to the south towards the Alps, but there was an inversion rolling in and with what little light there was falling fast it just wasn't working. Maybe next time.

I'm absolutely amazed that this area of Germany isn't heaving with photographers every Autumn, the forest colours have been amazing the last two years during the last couple of weeks of October.

The road to Perling..

I do miss my DP2 and looking at the pictures makes me want another :)

Not me Ian.

But as this thread has been resurrected, I've just acquired a teleconverter to adapt my DP3M into a pseudo-DP4M 70mm f/2.8 (105mm eqiv.). Initial indoor tests look very good, but like a muppet I took the kit out today and left the step-up rings for the adapter at home.

First tests with the pseudo-DP4M..

Almost no loss of sharpness in the centre, definite drop-off at the ends and bucketfuls of CA around the edges. Fortunately DPP does a very good job dealing with the CA. Seems to be good flare resistance too.

Not the official one, it's the Olympus T-Con 14B - I'll take a bit of sharpness loss around the edges for £30

Incidentally ^ that's what the pseudo-DP4M looks like :D

Not until I see some examples covering a wide variety of lenses - to include wider, longer and faster lenses than have been fitted to Foveon sensors to date.

The -H looks interesting, but I'd still prefer to see it as a Merrill rather than a Quattro.

It's been quiet in here for a while, let's have a DP3M shot from Saturday night..

I was thinking I might break my Merrill habit, but a bargain DP1M popped upon my feed this evening..

Anyone else still shooting them, or am I the last of the Merrill users? :D

Fantastic cameras but as you know my trio have gone to pastures new.
I'm now developing muscles I didn't know I had with the sd Quattro and 18-35 f/1.8 and 30 f/1.4 :)

Fantastic cameras but as you know my trio have gone to pastures new.
I'm now developing muscles I didn't know I had with the sd Quattro and 18-35 f/1.8 and 30 f/1.4 :)
How does it compare to the Merrills? I wasn't quite as impressed by the results I've seen posted from the DP Quattro sensor cameras compared to the Merrill.

.. and this completes my trinity, I would have had your DP1M but invoice timings and an urgent need to replace the car interfered, and you would not have been impressed to have been offered the price I've picked up this DP1M for, it's substantially less than your eBay sale achieved! :D

How does it compare to the Merrills? I wasn't quite as impressed by the results I've seen posted from the DP Quattro sensor cameras compared to the Merrill.

.. and this completes my trinity, I would have had your DP1M but invoice timings and an urgent need to replace the car interfered, and you would not have been impressed to have been offered the price I've picked up this DP1M for, it's substantially less than your eBay sale achieved! :D

It's different and you're right it's not quite able to extract the per pixel detail that the Merrill sensor can but I think the colour fidelity is better to my eye.
Having said that it's still a noticeable step up from Bayer or X-Trans sensors in terms of detail retrieval and colour fidelity with the bonus you can (and must) use ART glass otherwise the sensor is wasted. I tried a Sigma 8-16 with it recently and sadly it was quite a disappointment, it went back.

Glad to hear you got a DP1M sorted, I'm still a bit torn over whether I should have parted with mine.

After a slow start with the DP1M I'm beginning to appreciate the wider view..

Pimp my Merrill.. there's a DP3M hiding in here somewhere..

34721466922_a7c5fbdd69_c.jpg

I've not seen this mentioned anywhere else, but using the Merrills with the Godox/Atom AD-180 set-up using the standard FT-16 trigger above there's no problem syncing up to 1/800 at about half-power and I've managed 1/1000 and faster at lower powers.

Anyone else notice these are actually now increasing in value!
It's rare for a digital camera to increase in value especially for one a few years old.

Back