Sigma DP Merrils Price Drop

Some nice water beading on the Porsche 911

You can get some of the best shots when it has been raining as it adds to the shadows and detail, only problem is unfortunately the Merrils are not weather proofed.

Keep these coming, I do look forward to you posting these pics.

Have a drink on me

DP3M
ISO 200
1/13th sec
LR/PS processed

S African White, Bramon Wine Estate, The Crags, near Plettenberg Bay, S Africa

glass_BP.jpg

Last edited:
Well this thread was a long read but highly enlightening. And it has made me give serious consideration to picking up a 1 or 2. Would owners suggest a 1 or 2 for street shots, such as colourful foreign markets and temples when on summer hols?

And on another note, how much time needs to be spent into not learning the operating system, but also the PC software?

Thanks

I just phoned a shop to buy a DP1 M as they had a used on listed, to find after a couple of minutes chatting that it had gone! £269 so not a bad price.

Any suggestions?

Well this thread was a long read but highly enlightening. And it has made me give serious consideration to picking up a 1 or 2. Would owners suggest a 1 or 2 for street shots, such as colourful foreign markets and temples when on summer hols?

And on another note, how much time needs to be spent into not learning the operating system, but also the PC software?

Thanks
Depends which focal length appeals to you most. I don't particularly like a 28mm field of view and prefer something closer to a 50mm, so I went for the DP2M. Corner sharpness is supposed to be better on the 2 than the 1 as well, but that's only a minor issue. The PC software isn't too bad to learn although it's a bit slow and clunky!

There's a used DP1M showing on the LCE website at the Derby shop for £249.99. (no connection)

I acquired a small flash for my DPMs today.

Jessops Tecno 20.

Simple small thyristor type flash with bounce facility which looks suspiciously similar to the Metz 20 C-2.

The auto mode allegedly works at F2.0 and F4.0 at ISO100. Initial experiments suggest these are perhaps a stop too high on my DP2M so F2.8 and F5.6 look like preferred settings at ISO 100. (coincidentally the Metz unit auto settings are F2.8 and F5.6). Guide number is given as 22 (the Metz is given as 20).

Price of this flash? A penny under £20.

id say to try for a dp2, unless you like 28mm or 75mm equivilent
dp2 40mm equivilence ish is my favourite

Has anyone tried SPP6 on Windows 10 yet? - I don't want to be hasty upgrading OS to find I've lost my only means of processing Merrill raw files.. ..

This thread has all gone a bit quiet, has everyone moved on from the Merrills?

If there is anyone still shooting with the DP Merrills I've found the SAC-5 mains adapter (£40 in the UK) is available for £20 (inc p&p) from Amazon.de (http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B008GS8CPI). Looks like a standard fig-8 lead so should be a simple swap for a UK lead.

If there is anyone still shooting with the DP Merrills I've found the SAC-5 mains adapter (£40 in the UK) is available for £20 (inc p&p) from Amazon.de (http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B008GS8CPI). Looks like a standard fig-8 lead so should be a simple swap for a UK lead.

Still have mine but haven't had a whole lot of time for photography over the last few months.

I've Sold mine as I also have not had time with photography but getting another shouldn't be a problem as FFords photography still has new stock of the DP2 for £269

Has anyone tried SPP6 on Windows 10 yet? - I don't want to be hasty upgrading OS to find I've lost my only means of processing Merrill raw files.. ..

Yes I have it running on Windows 10, no problems that I have identified so far.

think u can do something with that to link it to a usb battery

yeah i was wondering if i have any use for that, ive got tons of batteries, maybe time lapse but theres a gap between frames which makes it sucky i think

The best use I can think of for a large capacity USB battery with the Merrills is winter landscape shooting. I'm not sure if I'll get across to Bayern this winter, but at -10C and below I can imagine that having a separate battery inside your jacket and linked to the camera by a cable might provide a lot more juice than the low capacity standard batteries which have been reported as struggling to get out of single-digit shot counts at winter temperatures.

Back