Sigma DP Merrils Price Drop

big crop from me from a head and shoulders portrait very similar to one in post #288, been messing around with 2 cheap triggers and 2 cheap Yongnuo flashes.

12907505204_5bee3749b3_o.jpg

Last edited:
Great detail david..I just received my marumi +5 filter,feels and looks very well made.Looking forward to trying it out properly.

Great detail david..I just received my marumi +5 filter,feels and looks very well made.Looking forward to trying it out properly.

cool looking forward to your testings; just looking at one myself although I have ordered DP1&DP2 hoods and also I am looking at cheapo ringflash so filter might have to wait.... ooo plus if I do get cheapo ringflash I need another trigger to go with the 2 I have as I will want to trigger 3 flashes..

Can hardly see the white strands with the naked eye..this is the piece

lol..the final out put of the images is around 15-16mp as the pixels are layered...still impressive though

chuff me , looks like I am ordering a +5 then, where did you get it from Stuart?

I cannot wow enough over the colour reproduction of the Merrills, apart from convert to jpg and a crop I have done nothing to this... thats not saying I wouldn't but I have never been happier with SOOC pictures.

12954508793_564d13b016_b.jpg

Hi mate got mine from amazon..£48.
I know what you mean about the images straight from camera,I have had some expensive glass in the past but cant recall much coming close to the merrills straight out of camera.Even wide open its silly sharp to the point I sometimes reduce the sharpness!
Very very happy with mine.

Hi mate got mine from amazon..£48.
I know what you mean about the images straight from camera,I have had some expensive glass in the past but cant recall much coming close to the merrills straight out of camera.Even wide open its silly sharp to the point I sometimes reduce the sharpness!
Very very happy with mine.

Hi Stuart,

Are you sure that the excellent results are due to the camera or the person taking the picture? I think it is you, as I cannot get the quality of pics you had from your xf1...:)

Hi Kev...many thanks for that but can assure you the xf1 will produce stonking images,the exr sensor does take some getting used too and is certainly a learning curve. I am sure you will master it.

Hi Kev...many thanks for that but can assure you the xf1 will produce stonking images,the exr sensor does take some getting used too and is certainly a learning curve. I am sure you will master it.
Thank you, had a go today during lunch and can say it is a lovely camera.

I need to stop checking this thread…..it's seriously harming my sanity.
Just when I thought I'd finally settled which way to go (Pentax K5 IIS vs Fuji X-Pro 1), this makes a bid for my money too.

Last edited:
here you are Stuart, hopefully this might help RE bag for merrills..

EM150 bag,

pic 1 showing vertical dividers to house all 3 and horizontal dividers to bring the merrills up to top of the bag level
pic 2 showing a compact tripod underneath or similarly pic 3 a speedlite size flash

IMG_20140306_121555421_zps8bzien6d.jpg

IMG_20140306_121619221_zpsdsv8h7ln.jpg

IMG_20140306_121654682_HDR_zpszajgzgga.jpg

hope this helps, I can see your quandary RE the EM's, the 100 potentially too small the 150 potentially too big, for the price I paid it was a no brainer but for retail or near to it price its a tricky one, the 150's small laptop/tablet compartment is a nice size too if that is something you like to carry.

Thanks for that David much appreciated. Mmm quite like the idea of the extra space especially the idea of storing along the bottom under the cameras.I have a mini trekker thats full of spare inserts so could really customise the bigger bag to suit.I think the 100 would just about do for me now but I do plan on getting either the dp1 or a ricoh gr at some point so space would be an issue then with the smaller bag.Is it quite a comfortable bag?

As comfortable a shoulder bag as I can remember but that might be because it's the lightest set up I have ever carried. it's not very bulky so quite happily sits at your side without getting in the way, good shoulder pad and I like the quiet opener option, decent accessory space too. It's not AW tho so no rain cover.

Cheers mate,not fussed about the AW tbh so just ordered one on amazon(150 version),may as well make use of my sons newly acquired prime account lol,he forgot to cancel after trial period.

i think the rule of thumb is you need about twice the res and probably a step up to full frame to get the same quality output from a bayer camera, and a bloody good lens.

so my Wife is correct there is some reward to cleaning your draws out :D just sorting through my music stuff and found this brand new unused Planet Waves quick release strap for acoustic guitar that I have never used.. I thought 'I know a place for that' :D the loop that will go around my wrist goes around twice.. only fear is its not spongee comfy but it might help in deciding if wrist straps are for me.

IMG_20140306_143357210_HDR_zpsfncuwmnw.jpg

What are thoughts on the merrill viewfinders? Was pondering earlier but I reckon I wouldn't use one, no in viewfinder focus confirm would have me on edge...

Although I do love the zen idea of having a viewfinder, turning the LV off and enjoy some shooting film type moments, but realistically would I?, Could I?

i do remmber you being amused by its foobles and saying it wouldnt be something you would buy :D

and now you wanna it :D

Well iam thinking of getting the DPM1 as iam only allowed x1 sort of compact,and I think I will benefit more from the wider angle. I love the DPM2 camera but my wings have been clipped by my good lady wife on the amount of camera equipment I own. I have the Sigma Lens Hood as well. So if you were ever interested in going for one we might be able to sort something out on the price. This would let me then purchase DPM1 something more suited to my style of shooting.

Adrian be interested in the dp2 merrill lens hood at the right price,could collect to save postage

Last edited:
Back