weekly SimonB - 52 challenge (2021) Weeks 48 to 52 catch-up!

Looks good to me. Perhaps the greens slightly bright in the first image, but I often look out of the window and think if I saw those colours in a photo I would think they were overdone.

2 good looking photos Simon, green is a little bit too much but a good first attempt at HDR

Lovely colours in the posted shot and a great leading line with the path

Snapper choice

It looks like a good hdr. Nothing looks to be over done, the colours look how I imagined they looked when you took the picture.

Nicely done HDR Simon!

Looks good to me. Perhaps the greens slightly bright in the first image, but I often look out of the window and think if I saw those colours in a photo I would think they were overdone.

2 good looking photos Simon, green is a little bit too much but a good first attempt at HDR

Lovely colours in the posted shot and a great leading line with the path

Subtle HDR - as it should be for me!

Thanks for all the comments everyone and for you feedback about the greens. I’ll have to consider HDR in future pictures.

Patterns
It amazes how fast some people can solve a Rubik cube, I don't think I ever managed it. I like how even with the movement achievement you still managed to keep it level enough to maintain some detail.

Up close
Macro lens and a croc doesn't seem a safe activity! Nice details captured.

Personal
I'm thinking a bit too much negative space, I would crop vertically from the edge of the drawers which would create more pleasing triangular sections.

Green
I love the expression, it is well handled given the challenging conditions

Snapper's Choice
The type of shot that looks easy at first glance but needs a lot of effort, skill and some luck to pull it off. The splash is better in the second one.

Looking down
Drones have taken photography literally to new heights opening up views that can't be achieved any other way. The Lake View is really nice with pleasing colours and patterns.

Indigenous
Perseverance paid off capturing the frog with good timing for its pose.

Plants
The title is certainly true, it's well composed and sharp.

Dominating
The "smackdown" stare in image 1 meets the theme perfectly.

Snapper's Choice
The HDR works well although maybe the green level could be lowered a bit, the path takes you through the scene

I had lots of ideas for this one, but working nights for the past few weeks makes one lose motivation!

Still I had an idea of filling up a pair of disposable gloves with water and freezing them. I wanted to place a flash behind the ice hands see what effect I could achieve. I have to say I was quite pleased with the results.

It was cold work moving the hand around and I did have two hands but one broke while I was removing the glove. I enjoyed using the flash in this way and it was "handy" that I had different coloured filters to use too.

Hands by Simon Brown

Last edited:
Hands
They look great. Quite imaginative, good idea with the different colours.

I agree, this is very imaginative and exploring "I wonder what....?" can lead to some interesting results.

I think I would have preferred to see one rather than three. I'm left wondering what the detail & texture is from doing something like this, and can't really tell with the triptych. But it's a great idea nonetheless.

Hands
They look great. Quite imaginative, good idea with the different colours.

Thank you :)

I agree, this is very imaginative and exploring "I wonder what....?" can lead to some interesting results.

I think I would have preferred to see one rather than three. I'm left wondering what the detail & texture is from doing something like this, and can't really tell with the triptych. But it's a great idea nonetheless.

I noticed that on a mobile phone the picture isn't very big at all. So I get where you're coming with the loss of detail and texture, hopefully the singular picture below will show more detail. :)

Thats Handy
by Simon Brown

I thought I had best catch up with my pictures before I find myself weeks behind again! My cat was the obvious choice for the fur category but he was not a very willing subject so I had to wait until he was having one of his many cat-naps.

Dreams
by Simon Brown

Socks
by Simon Brown

Cheers

Awww Kitty. I like the paws :)

Love the sleepyhead. Always so relaxing to look at. And bob on theme too.

Its yet another catch up for me again, funny how time just seems to run away so quickly.

Clean This is one just came to me when I was cleaning the car, I had other ideas but never found the time to take the shot. I think this fits the bill though.

Chores by Simon Brown

Glass As soon as saw this theme I knew that this was the shot I had in mind. It was great to see how everyone did this theme too.

Blind without by Simon Brown

Snappers Choice Took the bike out to a local reservoir, I forgot to pack the memory card for my camera (Typical) but thankfully the drone still had one in it. I quite like how the road splits the water.

Middle Lane by Simon Brown

Thanks again for taking the time to comment on my pictures. I apologise for not always reciprocating, I always to try to comment when I can!

Last edited:
Clean - Nicely vibrant. Does what it says on the tin.
Glass - Could have used it for Free Lensing too ;)
Snappers - My favourite of the bunch. Nicely composed (or cropped?) I like the difference in the water either side of the road.

Nice set. . I like the glasses one the best

Thanks it was interesting putting that one together.

Clean - Nicely vibrant. Does what it says on the tin.
Glass - Could have used it for Free Lensing too ;)
Snappers - My favourite of the bunch. Nicely composed (or cropped?) I like the difference in the water either side of the road.

Thanks for the feedback, shame about missing the free lensing chance ha!

So yet again I am catching up with the themes as I don't want to be relegated to the gracefully retired section just yet!

This theme for unnatural I found quite difficult to capture and I was looking through some pictures of a recent holiday, I stumbled across an abandoned holiday camp from the 70's.

The swimming pool in its unnatural state of vandalism really caught my eye as the colours and styles were really interesting and in someway quite clever. I did edit out some of the more colourful words in case it was in breach of forum rules.

I hope you guys like it and I thought I would include an overhead shot of the whole camp as it stands at the moment.

Unnatural Pool
by Simon Brown

The campsite known as Howstrake Holiday camp in the Isle of Man from reading online about it closed in 1973 and a fire in 1980 appeared to destroy one of the main buildings. I just find it quite baffling how nature over time can remove all traces of what was there in the past.

Howstrake Holiday Camp Before

Howstrake Holiday Camp
by Simon Brown

Thanks.

I'm getting there! Slowly.

Continuing the catch up for the natural theme. I have included a couple of pictures from the Isle of Man for its natural surroundings. These two are among my favourites from the trip.

The Sound
by Simon Brown

Isle of Man
by Simon Brown

As always all comments and critiques are welcome.

Right onto the next theme!

Cheers

Unnatural - We have something vaguely similar close to us, well, it was a sewage plant in the 1930s, but now the only parts remaining (the circular tanks) are used by the urban artists (and they keep the area remarkably clear/clean).
1980 is >40 years ago. It doesn't take long for nature to reclaim abandoned spaces.

Natural - I agree with your selection of shot. I think because of the nicer blues of the sea.

Unnatural - We have something vaguely similar close to us, well, it was a sewage plant in the 1930s, but now the only parts remaining (the circular tanks) are used by the urban artists (and they keep the area remarkably clear/clean).
1980 is >40 years ago. It doesn't take long for nature to reclaim abandoned spaces.

Natural - I agree with your selection of shot. I think because of the nicer blues of the sea.

Thanks LC2, nature certainly reclaimed it! I thought the same with the colours of the sea. It was the first time that I had a proper play with a polarizing filter. Quite pleased with how it came out.

So moving onto the Autumn theme and given the amount of leaves on my lawn I thought this would be a good fit for the theme. I also watched a couple of videos about free lensing so I'm not sure if I managed to catch the effect but it was fun giving it a go.

Leaves
by Simon Brown

First leaf of Autumn
by Simon Brown

I prefer the colours of the first picture and I like the single leaf of the second picture, again not sure I caught the free lensing effect as I did think that I could achieve the same with a macro lens. Still it was fun trying.

Cheers

Nice colours, I not sure If I would try too hard to use that technique again myself.

Pete

I'm slowly chipping away at this!

So another catch up for the doors theme, I found what appears to be a boarded up chapel nearby. The weather was very much against me, so I didn't really hang about! I thought this picture worked better in B+W than colour. It gives it a bit more depth perhaps?

Abandoned
by Simon Brown

Abandoned Colour
by Simon Brown

Cheers.

I agree, the B&W conversion works the best.

The sun came out for once in sunny Southport, so I took the opportunity to take some pictures in the town centre. Still catching up slowly!

The local church was well lit up against a near cloudless blue sky and really brought out the detail in the building. I ended up taking quite a few of the church from different angles before the sun disappeared.

Southport St Georges Church
by Simon Brown

Nesting Grounds
by Simon Brown

The bridge was interesting as its quite a simple design with plenty of leading lines again I was lucky with the weather and sky for this one too. Quite funny how people seem to stop and up upwards when you point a camera towards the sky.

Marine Way Bridge
by Simon Brown

I've not found it easy to pick one that suits the theme best but happy with the choice.

Oh well on to the next theme!

Doors, The B&W is better
Architure, I Like the bridge, it's nice and simple and the colours make it stand out.

Pete

Both architecture ones nice - I prefer the bridge but both work nicely against the blue sky.

Another vote for the bridge due to its simplicity. The cables work great to lead the eye into the shot.

Nice light on the church, but the bridge simplicity for me also :)

Back