weekly SimonB 52 for 2023 - Weeks 50, 51 and 52!

My wife refused to allow her bottom to be depicted as smooth! So I chose to use this picture instead as we have been sanding and varnishing two doors this week which will hopefully be hung up next week.

Looks like I have finally caught up!

Sanding Smooth
by Simon Brown

Tick the box - and smooths it too ;)

Oooh doesn't she have lovely hands though ;)

Perfect composition, beautiful warm tones... like the diagonal and the soft shadow behind is really pleasant.

Last edited:
I like the single spring shot... the multiple shadows work well and the focus doesn't bother me :)
Smooth is nicely composed and could relate to her nails too!

Last edited:
Smooth works well, good luch with the varnish.

Spring, good idea, fits the theme well.

Pete

Don't you hate it when our better halves refuse to cooperate? Good shot Simon, suits the theme very well.

Tick the box - and smooths it too ;)

Oooh doesn't she have lovely hands though ;)

Perfect composition, beautiful warm tones... like the diagonal and the soft shadow behind is really pleasant.

I like the single spring shot... the multiple shadows work well and the focus doesn't bother me :)
Smooth is nicely composed and could relate to her nails too!

Smooth works well, good luch with the varnish.

Spring, good idea, fits the theme well.

Pete

Don't you hate it when our better halves refuse to cooperate? Good shot Simon, suits the theme very well.

Nice idea on the theme :)

That works very nicely Simon

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

Another excuse to get the drone out, the weather was really nice yesterday so off I went for a wander.

This is Southport Pier you can probably tell as the sea hardly ever seems to come in! That's also Blackpool in the top right corner along with the mountains of the Lake District just next to it. This will be another shot to try when the sea is in, I will have to have a gander at the tide times.

A quick edit to share a fact, Southport Pier is the second longest in the UK at 3,536ft

Southport Pier by Simon Brown

Last edited:
Nice shot Simon - walked along that pier many times!

Checked the tides for you - next one to come all the way in is a 04:34am on 25th May 2028 :ROFLMAO: :angelic:

Love that Simon. Well done. Fantastic to use the high up POV, The lifeguard truck first gives the scale, then you spot the people!

The sand is vast - and there's something of interest everywhere. Nice one.

Last edited:
Lovely shot Simon. You certainly get the best out of that drone!

Nice one Simon, love the view that your drone provides. What's the building at the very end of the pier?

Nice one. The pier does look like it's desperate to reach the sea. It will be interesting to see the comparison when the tide is in.

Nice shot Simon - walked along that pier many times!

Checked the tides for you - next one to come all the way in is a 04:34am on 25th May 2028 :ROFLMAO: :angelic:

Oh har har :ROFLMAO: guess I'll just have to wait!!!

Love that Simon. Well done. Fantastic to use the high up POV, The lifeguard truck first gives the scale, then you spot the people!

The sand is vast - and there's something of interest everywhere. Nice one.

Thanks very much, the lifeguard was shifting and I really wanted to include it in the shot. Got it in the nick of time!

That's a great overhead view shot Simon.

Thanks!

Lovely shot Simon. You certainly get the best out of that drone!

That's very kind, the drone does all the hard work though!

Nice one Simon, love the view that your drone provides. What's the building at the very end of the pier?

Thanks, I always like an excuse to try different pictures. The building at the end has a large cafe and an old-style penny arcade inside, it's very interesting

Great shot. You've just managed to capture the emergency vehicle.

Thanks, only just!

Nice one. The pier does look like it's desperate to reach the sea. It will be interesting to see the comparison when the tide is in.

Doesn't it just? I will have to try again when the tide comes in 2028! :ROFLMAO:

I only just remembered that I haven't submitted the picture for this week's theme! I wanted to take a picture of the moon when I saw how bright it was a few nights ago but promptly forgot. This picture of the moon shows (hopefully) the connection it has with Earth and the influence it has on our tides and moderating Earth's wobble on its axis.

This was taken without a tripod and using my Canon 70-300mm lens. I did a little bit of tidying up in Lightroom as there was quite a bit of noise from the high ISO but otherwise, I'm happy enough with it.

Moon
by Simon Brown

Nice one Simon :)

Nice moon shot - well placed in the frame and resisted the tempation to crop in too tight on it.

My wife and I spent most of the weekend tending to the garden and making it ready for the summer. While she was doing some watering I realised that this would tick the box for liquid. Here is one of our lovely red tulips getting watered, just need to set up the water butts before the hose pipe ban kicks in!

Tulip
by Simon Brown

I'll second that. Great shot! Lovely colours and the droplet, set off nicely against the dark areas of the BG. You can almost feel the rain falling!

Great idea, tulip against the darker background and the rain works really well.

Wow, that's just awesome, possibly my favourite shot of the 52 so far. You choose the right coloured tulip and the perfect shutterspeed and composed to get a dark backgroud to make the rain stand out. I love the drops hanging off the tulips too.

Excellent composition and execution Simon. Like Nicky, this is one of my 52 favourites.

That is Art, top shot

I really love this shot. Perfect shutter speed and dof. Nice one!

That's a great shot (IMHO).

Thank you!

I'll second that. Great shot! Lovely colours and the droplet, set off nicely against the dark areas of the BG. You can almost feel the rain falling!

Thanks, I was quite fortunate with that droplet. It sent shot apart from the others.

Great idea, tulip against the darker background and the rain works really well.

Thank you!

Good shot !

Thanks!

Thanks!

Wow, that's just awesome, possibly my favourite shot of the 52 so far. You choose the right coloured tulip and the perfect shutterspeed and composed to get a dark backgroud to make the rain stand out. I love the drops hanging off the tulips too.

That’s very kind of you to say, especially given the high quality of everyone else’s pictures!

Excellent composition and execution Simon. Like Nicky, this is one of my 52 favourites.

Thank you very much!

I really love this shot. Perfect shutter speed and dof. Nice one!

Thank you, I tried a few different shutter speeds. The tulips were well watered ha

Nice shot of the tulip can’t add anymore to what’s already been said

Back