weekly SimonB 52 for 2023 - Weeks 50, 51 and 52!

That's great! A fantastic spot and a brilliant take on the theme. Nicely handled DoF too.

I've always had very fond memories of my Granddad growing up and he was always a bit of a hero to me. When I'd go around I would normally ask him to show me his medals from the war and he would proudly show me them. My Mum had a spring clean last year and found this postcard that he sent to his Mum upon being rescued from Dunkirk, my mum included a bit of background information with the typed letter with I thought made an interesting juxtaposition of new and old and typed and handwritten letters.

I'm told that he was originally with the Royal Artillery before returning to the Royal Medical Corps and finally serving as a sergeant in the 2nd battalion of the SAS.

Just in case no one can quite make the postcard it says:

Safe from Dunkirk

Dear Love,

I am safely home
landed Monday morning

See you all soon,

Love to all,

Charley

A letter home
by Simon Brown

Good historical stuffs!

Very nicely done. My first thought was, I hope there's a reason for the folded A4 page. Happily there was.

That's a really lovely back story and lovely items to cherish.

Wow, where has the time gone?

It's funny how things just run away from you, I have been putting off the theme photography for a while as I couldn't find inspiration for a kitchen picture and then I started doing overtime most weeks agreeing to almost every extra shift that was available, this made for a grumpy and tired Simon!

Anyway enough of the poor excuses, it looks like I've got some catching up to do!

Today is a day off for me and I have finally found some time to get back into this game. So with the camera charged up and the memory card wiped this is my take on the Kitchen theme from several weeks ago. There's nothing too clever about this shot but a pan on a stove fits the theme well enough in my mind. A small bit of tweaking was needed here and there to remove unsightly marks from the oven.

Panned
by Simon Brown

Cheers

Hey Simon. I know I'm going to hit a tough theme soon. (may even be this weeks). But my plan is to post something, even if it is a "joker" and move on!

Nothing wrong with kitchen, nice blue flame and well composed.

Looking forward to the next.

Hey Simon. I know I'm going to hit a tough theme soon. (may even be this weeks). But my plan is to post something, even if it is a "joker" and move on!

Nothing wrong with kitchen, nice blue flame and well composed.

Looking forward to the next.

That works fine for the theme Simon. As above, the blue flame adds to the shot.

Fits the Kitchen Theme.

Thanks for the comments guys it's good to get the thinking cap on.

It didn't take me long to find something broken in my house, the weather was decent today for once so I decided to tend to the garden however my fork is somewhat broken. The grass has seen better days too!

Forking Hell
by Simon Brown

Ah, I had one like that too Simon - in fact it might even have been the same prong (tine). I tried straightening it, but no chance!!!! :LOL:

Ah, I had one like that too Simon - in fact it might even have been the same prong (tine). I tried straightening it, but no chance!!!! :LOL:

Ha yep, I have tried to straighten this one too but as you can see with very little success!

That works, grass is nice and green. Mine needs cutting as soon as we get a dry day!

Still playing catch up, it's my intention to get another theme in this week before Thursday! My wife kindly reminded me that I need to do one for the tech as well. Inspiration finally came after toiling all day in the garden and I went to get some wood from my full log store and I made sure my bucket was full too!

May I present a full bucket with tech!

Full Bucket
by Simon Brown

Certainly fits both theme and tech.

Just one thing on the B&W conversion - and I have to be careful here because I think my screen is very bright. I love B&W when the black is absolutely black. To me (and it might just be on my screen) the blackest black on there is sitting at about 90%. Just think it might give it a little more punch.

Certainly fits both theme and tech.

Just one thing on the B&W conversion - and I have to be careful here because I think my screen is very bright. I love B&W when the black is absolutely black. To me (and it might just be on my screen) the blackest black on there is sitting at about 90%. Just think it might give it a little more punch.

You're not wrong it wouldn't hurt to make the black darker, thanks for the feedback :)(y)

That works nicely Simon

Thanks!

All in all it's just a.... nice mono :)

Really like full, the mono conversion works well.
Pattern fits the theme nicely and again works well in mono.

Went out to specifically look for a rabbit hole picture but you know how things are when you go out with the intent to find something and then it takes ages to find it!

Here's the rabbit hole that I found eventually, although it was nice walking around for inspiration, I'm sure people must have thought I was a bit wrong in the head taking pictures like that!

Rabbit Hole
by Simon Brown

Pattern; very Pink Floyd - all in all it's just another brick in the wall.......

Nice find for the rabbit tunnel. Sometimes I'm in the same boat as you, when I took photos of the most uninteresting objects for this challenge and I wonder what others must have thought of me!
LB5AosS.gif

Nice Easter Bunny hole :)

Fox or bunny hole? Either way they are a bit of a PITA in the garden; them and moles, that is.

Pattern; very Pink Floyd - all in all it's just another brick in the wall.......

Nice find for the rabbit tunnel. Sometimes I'm in the same boat as you, when I took photos of the most uninteresting objects for this challenge and I wonder what others must have thought of me!
LB5AosS.gif

Ah I'll have to go and play the song now! I'm glad I'm not the only one looking odd!

Nice Easter Bunny hole :)

Ha, no Easter eggs though!

Fox or bunny hole? Either way they are a bit of a PITA in the garden; them and moles, that is.

Good point I don't know how one would tell the difference, this hole was heading in the direction of the railway line. I can't imagine its a very quiet sleep when the trains are going over!

I've nearly caught up! A bank holiday weekend certainly helps to find a bit of extra time and motivation to do these things justice!

I had initially thought of taking a picture of the spring in the back of my motorbike however it was very dirty (it used to be yellow!) and difficult to get a decent picture of it. So I opted for a picture of a spring from a pen. I couldn't quite decide which one I liked best so it was a case of eine mine miney mo.

Spring
by Simon Brown

I quite like this one but the whole spring isn't in focus which annoys me slightly, I imagine a tripod would help with focus stacking perhaps?

Deconstructed Pen
by Simon Brown

This one I feel has a bit more interest about it but the spring wasn't playing ball with lining up with the rest of the setup!

Nicely done Simon. I had a similar idea with disassembling a pen, but couldn't get my composition/lighting right and the spring kept rolling away! :LOL:

Good catchup Simon, I really like the deconstructed take on the spring theme

Yes, a tripod and affinity to merge the photo stack would have allowed you to get the whole spring in focus.
(Affinity > LR in this respect).

Thanks Tim, it's something I've not tried before so I shall look into giving it a go.

Nicely done Simon. I had a similar idea with disassembling a pen, but couldn't get my composition/lighting right and the spring kept rolling away! :LOL:

Ha it's annoying, isn't it?!

Good catchup Simon, I really like the deconstructed take on the spring theme

Thanks very much!

Back