Simon's 52 in 2020

Your wren looks well fluffed up, and in focus (therefore soft focus..? [emoji16]) Lovely shot.

Narrow looks like s great location as well - not surprised it's been printed up now!

Choice
Lovely capture.

Narrow
Well shot. I bet it'd look great with a nice sunset.

Your wren looks well fluffed up, and in focus (therefore soft focus..? [emoji16]) Lovely shot.

Narrow looks like s great location as well - not surprised it's been printed up now!
Thanks! Well pleased with the wren - so difficult to capture them.
The location for the "narrow" shot is the fabulous Whitesands beach near St David's in Pembrokeshire.

Choice
Lovely capture.

Narrow
Well shot. I bet it'd look great with a nice sunset.
Thanks!
Good shout on the sunset for the narrow shot, although the sun sets about 90 degrees to the right, but on the right day with the right sky it'd work

Snappers Choice - nice feather detail on the wren. Such a pity it's head is in the shade, but you did well to capture it. They're so shy.

Narrow - did your camera get wet? I really like the viewpoint and composition. You've done well with the exposure and depth of field.

Paper: Good idea. I can't help but try and read the in focus part!

Camera: I can't help but wonder about the bracket - looks handy! We ended up propping our camera up on the floor. I hope we get to see a pic in here from it.

Last edited:
Hi Simon, nice composition there, it woks well.

Paper, Great idea using the shredded paper, nice dof concentrating on the main piece in the center.
Thanks! That was what I was trying to do, but I tend to be a bit slapdash about these things, so glad it worked out

Snappers Choice - nice feather detail on the wren. Such a pity it's head is in the shade, but you did well to capture it. They're so shy.

Narrow - did your camera get wet? I really like the viewpoint and composition. You've done well with the exposure and depth of field.

Paper: Good idea. I can't help but try and read the in focus part!

Camera: I can't help but wonder about the bracket - looks handy! We ended up propping our camera up on the floor. I hope we get to see a pic in here from it.
Thanks for the feedback!
  1. The wren was just a lucky shot really. We were walking along the path and it hopped into view and stayed just long enough! I’ve been trying t9 get a shot of a wren for months!
  2. Narrow - no I didn’t get the camera wet, but it came pretty close! Luckily my Panasonic FZ330 has an adjustable screen that allowed me to get pretty low down. I rarely use that facility, and was pretty happy with how this turned out.
  3. paper - I knew people would do that :ROFLMAO:
  4. Camera - the bracket came with the camera. the whole shooting thing was about £35 off Amazon. its far from the best of this sort of camera, but works for keeping an eye on what our cat's been up to.

Hi Simon

Snappers choice, cute looking little fella, great background softness.
Narrow, Nice point of view, showing how narrow it is.
Paper, very interesting shot, fits the theme.
Camera, fits the theme, what is it pointing at?

Pete

Hi Simon

Snappers choice, cute looking little fella, great background softness.
Narrow, Nice point of view, showing how narrow it is.
Paper, very interesting shot, fits the theme.
Camera, fits the theme, what is it pointing at?

Pete
Thanks Pete - the camera is pointing at our drive - partly because I'm interested to see what out (an other cats) get up to and if there ais any other wildlife around, and partly as there have been some reports of nefarious activity around here lately and I'm a bit paranoid and if anything untoward does happen, I might get something on here that might be useful. It's only a cheapo, so quality not great for wildlife, but picks up people very well

Paper - I quite like this, an interesting take and the use of DoF suits it.
Camera - Ah, used for watching the cat, not for security. An interesting looking thing. If used for security the mount would worry me (could be improved by drilling the heads so that a screw driver would no longer work).

Paper - I quite like this, an interesting take and the use of DoF suits it.
Camera - Ah, used for watching the cat, not for security. An interesting looking thing. If used for security the mount would worry me (could be improved by drilling the heads so that a screw driver would no longer work).
Thanks for the feedback.
I didn’t get the camera for security, but recent local “activity” has prompted the current positioning (it’s sort of half hidden at a corner of the house, so not immediately obvious)e already moved the camera. Will probably love it again after the festive season....if it’s still there (luckily not an expensive one)

Hi Simon,

Leaves - I quite like the Canna lily leaves shot, but I think your choice was teh right one.
Abstract - Hmm, I would plump for the sculpture actually, but that's because I like vibrant colours. The murmuration is an excellent capture.
Showcase - Again, I think you went with the right choice. The water breaking over the rocks gives the image action.

Fabulous murmuration capture but I’d also go with the sculpture for the theme, and maybe crop in tight. I like the challenge of trying to guess what an abstract is, and this sculpture has some lovely colours and shapes that could keep you guessing.

Lovely landscapes and yes, tricky to choose, but that’s part of the challenge [emoji3] Pembrokeshire is such a lovely spot - hoping I can pay a visit in 2021.

Hi Simon,

Leaves - I quite like the Canna lily leaves shot, but I think your choice was teh right one.
Abstract - Hmm, I would plump for the sculpture actually, but that's because I like vibrant colours. The murmuration is an excellent capture.
Showcase - Again, I think you went with the right choice. The water breaking over the rocks gives the image action.
Thanks for the feedback! :)

Fabulous murmuration capture but I’d also go with the sculpture for the theme, and maybe crop in tight. I like the challenge of trying to guess what an abstract is, and this sculpture has some lovely colours and shapes that could keep you guessing.

Lovely landscapes and yes, tricky to choose, but that’s part of the challenge [emoji3] Pembrokeshire is such a lovely spot - hoping I can pay a visit in 2021.
Thanks for the feedback, especially about the sculpture. Can't beat Pembrokeshire - been going there since the early 70's - love it!

Nice framed Lupin, I like the colourful sculpture, but the murmeration is stunning, The Pembrokeshire coast is beautiful.
Thank you! The murmuration wasn't as sharp as I'd have liked, but light wasn't good, and my gear probably wasn't the best, but it was good fun trying to capture the shapes, and the moon being there added something.

The murmuration is great - even if not technically perfect, it looks great and is hugely evocative.
Thanks! Far from perfect - first attempt, and just pointed camera and clicked. Probably got all setting wrong! Would know a bit better now for next time!

Week 52 - Decorations

I've had 61 Christmases, and I still find Christmas trees and their decorations so evocative - I always take the opportunity to stay up late at night in the dark looking closely into the tree with the lights glowing and all other lights off. It generates such powerful memories for me. I used my iPhone XR for these shots (I know I should be kicked off these forums for even mentioning such a thing ;))

IMG_8355 by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

IMG_8345 by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

Hard to choose. Initially I preferred the first, but I do like the feeling that you're in the tree in the second and the red lantern gives a focal point before you explore the image.

1st for me Simon it seems to draw me right into the tree rather than just on the outside looking in.

Nice In tree shots Simon, hope you cleared up all the needles from the floor.
It’s been up since beginning of December, and has done well to hold on to its needles thanks to a combination of water & 7 Up )
eginning to go at the bottom now though......

It’s been up since beginning of December, and has done well to hold on to its needles thanks to a combination of water & 7 Up )
eginning to go at the bottom now though......
7 Up, does that help?

7 Up, does that help?
Apparently it does - it's the sugar. I saw a few articles before Christmas where people were swearing by it, so thought nothing to lose, especially given the tree was going to be up for a week or two longer than normal. It seems to have helped. Any lemondadey (is that a word?) type drink, but don't go for the diet variety, and probably avoid Tango - might turn your tree orange! Now that would make a good photo! :D

Back