Simon's 52 in 2021

Heh, like that last one. A ridiculous concoction of arrows!

I'm going to take a contrary position. I find the Pier shot far more appealing. You've nicely lined the pier up on the horizon, it's straight, you have people in it for scale, the shoreline leads you to the pier, which in turn leads you out through the shot to the horizon.
The only change I might have made would be to lose some of the sky to put the Pier/Horizon on the top 1/3rd.

Whereas with the post, you lose the top in the background and it looks wonky (even if it isn't - there is nothing really to provide a reference). It's redeeming feature is the odd arrows. Perhaps there is a better composition in there if you want to emphasize that bit?

Thanks for all the feedback. I like the post one (it IS wonky) as I thought the multiple arrows worked nicely with the idea of “nearby” - nearby depending on which way you’re going!
Point taken though about the composition. I took it this morning on a walk so wasn’t thinking about the context of the theme when I pressed the shutter, I was just taken by the arrows - this is what differentiates me as a “snapper” at the moment as opposed to a photographer - I need to think a little more before pressing the button.
The pier shot in that regard is a luckier snap - but again point taken re the sky it’s a half and half photo rather than a thirds - although rules are made to be broken

I too like the post. It is, to me, obvious that the post is wonky, in reality, because of the trees in the background. And the multitude of arrows, very funny.

Thanks for all the feedback. I like the post one (it IS wonky) as I thought the multiple arrows worked nicely with the idea of “nearby” - nearby depending on which way you’re going!
Point taken though about the composition. I took it this morning on a walk so wasn’t thinking about the context of the theme when I pressed the shutter, I was just taken by the arrows - this is what differentiates me as a “snapper” at the moment as opposed to a photographer - I need to think a little more before pressing the button.
I did think the post wonky, tbh, but you could have been on a hill ;) It's hard to get a reference.
The point of the 52 is to garner opinions so you can view your shots as others might and perhaps start to see things you wouldn't otherwise, all with the ultimate aim of continuous improvement. I know I have certainly grown in the 6 years I've been doing this (just ask @Allan.H (although maybe don't ;) )).
The pier shot in that regard is a luckier snap - but again point taken re the sky it’s a half and half photo rather than a thirds - although rules are made to be broken
Indeed they are.
And critiques are only opinions If you prefer the shot as is, then it's actually right, as you're taking the image for you. :)
I too like the post. It is, to me, obvious that the post is wonky, in reality, because of the trees in the background. And the multitude of arrows, very funny.
And this in essence is the beauty of the 52. Everyone has different views on things (it would be a boring world if we all thought the same).

I like the post image although I wouldn’t want to rely on it to guide me on my way

I know I have certainly grown in the 6 years I've been doing this (just ask @Allan.H (although maybe don't ;) ))

I have no idea what he’s on about if he means grown up then he certainly hasn’t :ROFLMAO:

good start to your 52 anyway

Hi Simon

The post shot fits the theme. Nicely framed. (y)

I like the pier shot best of the bunch but agree that sign post is confusing.

Week 1 - Fruit

Couple of points worth bearing in mind.
  1. I've just purchased a Fuji X-S10 with 18-55 - these are my first uploaded TP shots from it. Still getting used to it (only had it a week) - it's a touch more complicated (to me at least) than my Canon EOS 100D and 77D were and my Panasonic FZ330 is.
  2. These were taken using a cheap (very) Lightbox I purchased of Amazon that only arrived an hour or so ago. I've never used one of these before!
Apple by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

B&W Citrus by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

Grapes by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

Citrus by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

Well, for a first outing with a light tent, and a pretty new camera too, I think you did very well. #1 is my favourite.

You need to work on colour balance. That could be tricky, or really easy, depending on quite how you work. If you need more info, just shout.

Well, for a first outing with a light tent, and a pretty new camera too, I think you did very well. #1 is my favourite.

You need to work on colour balance. That could be tricky, or really easy, depending on quite how you work. If you need more info, just shout.
Thanks - I see what you mean - it's all a bit "blue". Would that be just white balance adjustment or something else?

As you have edit ticked, a couple of minutes tweaking the WB in CS5.
You do lose a little detail though.
Match the WB to the lights you are using in camera, that should sort it out (y)

edit.jpg

Last edited:
As you have edit ticked, a couple of minutes tweaking the WB in CS5.
You do lose a little detail though.
Match the WB to the lights you are using in camera, that should sort it out (y)

View attachment 305342
Thanks - I'm also fairly new to post processing - beyond straightening and cropping (!) but have been having a go, so certainly appreciate the suggestions and feedback

I see some rotter ate your grapes while you weren't looking I love the vibrant colours of your main photo and don't mind the blue black ground, although they are positively neon in @Cobras edited version.

I see some rotter ate your grapes while you weren't looking I love the vibrant colours of your main photo and don't mind the blue black ground, although they are positively neon in @Cobras edited version.
Thanks (y)

My favourite is the one you put in the main thread - striking contrast in the colours. I guess the white balance could have been warmed up a little but I didn't notice until it was mentioned. I quite fancy getting a light box to play with.... it's still in my wishlist on Amazon at the moment :)

They look a bit neon for me too @Cobra in your version - were you wearing sunglasses at the time? :cool:

My favourite is the one you put in the main thread - striking contrast in the colours. I guess the white balance could have been warmed up a little but I didn't notice until it was mentioned. I quite fancy getting a light box to play with.... it's still in my wishlist on Amazon at the moment :)

They look a bit neon for me too @Cobra in your version - were you wearing sunglasses at the time? :cool:
Thank you! The Lightbox I got was this one (hope it's OK to post link). It's a bit cheap and cheerful and I think you might find it, (or versions virtually identical) even cheaper on Amazon and eBay, but comes with a number of changeable colour backgrounds and is certainly good enough for me to start experimenting with.

Looking forward to seeing how other shots come out using that light tent. Not something I've ever used, but given we're going to be stuck inside for a few months more, maybe something worth investing a few quid in.
I'm not sure there is much wrong with the colours in your shot. The background is a little blue, but the orange/lemon/lime in #4 seem appropriately coloured to me.

How are you finding the X-S10?

Looking forward to seeing how other shots come out using that light tent. Not something I've ever used, but given we're going to be stuck inside for a few months more, maybe something worth investing a few quid in.
I'm not sure there is much wrong with the colours in your shot. The background is a little blue, but the orange/lemon/lime in #4 seem appropriately coloured to me.

How are you finding the X-S10?

Thanks.
I’m loving the X-S10 so far, although only had it a week and it’s been raining most days and and as black as Mordor on the few occasions it hasn’t, so still very early days.
I sold a Relatively new Canon 77D and lenses to fund it - like Canon gear but I was struggling with the size and weight.
The Fuji is much lighter but solidly built. I’ve seen people worried about a small EVF, but I’m finding it fine and I wear glasses - it’s about the same as my Panasonic FZ330. It would be nice if it was bigger, but it’s perfectly useable.
I also never had a Fuji with all the manual dials - I'm comfortable with PASM, so it works for me. The deep grip is also nice, making it easy to hold.
Bought with the 18-55 kit lens which is supposed to be decent (and so far seems so), and have added a new 50-230 for just under £160 but only got that yesterday, so haven’t had chance to try it yet.
All round, very pleased.

Thanks.
I’m loving the X-S10 so far, although only had it a week and it’s been raining most days and and as black as Mordor on the few occasions it hasn’t, so still very early days.
I sold a Relatively new Canon 77D and lenses to fund it - like Canon gear but I was struggling with the size and weight.
The Fuji is much lighter but solidly built. I’ve seen people worried about a small EVF, but I’m finding it fine and I wear glasses - it’s about the same as my Panasonic FZ330. It would be nice if it was bigger, but it’s perfectly useable.
I also never had a Fuji with all the manual dials - I'm comfortable with PASM, so it works for me. The deep grip is also nice, making it easy to hold.
Bought with the 18-55 kit lens which is supposed to be decent (and so far seems so), and have added a new 50-230 for just under £160 but only got that yesterday, so haven’t had chance to try it yet.
All round, very pleased.
Sounds similar to me.
5D3/80D retired in favour of an X-T2 (and subsequently an X-T3) due to being fed up of the weight of the larger Canon bodies and lenses.
The 18-55 kit lens is far better than any kit lens has a right to be (and a stop brighter) though admittedly I reduced my weight further still by using primes most of the time.

Nice colourful trio!

although they are positively neon in @Cobras edited version.
The background is white ( more or less :D )
I wasn't aware that the fruit had to look natural as well :LOL:

Thank you! The Lightbox I got was this one (hope it's OK to post link). It's a bit cheap and cheerful and I think you might find it, (or versions virtually identical) even cheaper on Amazon and eBay, but comes with a number of changeable colour backgrounds and is certainly good enough for me to start experimenting with.
Ah I see! This is more the sort of thing I was looking at...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultra-Thin...ix=light+box+drawing+,electronics,204&sr=8-11

and yes it is fine to post a link - there may be certain restrictions if you're promoting yourself I think.

Nice one! I don't mind a slight blue tinge to the BG.

Good strong contrasting colours. The lime looks in good nick, the other two have matured slightly. ;)

Fruit
Your main thread photo ID the pick for me. Just a bit more brightness on the fruit themselves perhaps. I find with an image like this, it's worthwhile editing it, then coming back to it later, to take another look and make more adjustments if needed.

I like the idea of the washing up. In the name of simplicity, it might look better sans sponge. ;)

I like the idea of the washing up. In the name of simplicity, it might look better sans sponge. ;)
Thanks - I debated whether to keep it in or lose it. You're probably right...

I'm fine with the sponge to be honest, it's like you have the problem and the solution in the same shot.

It works much better blown up in Flickr, the reflections in the bubbles really pop out then.

Back