Simon's 52 in 2022

The shredder was a great idea Simon. Very creative and well shot.
Thank you Bill! I’d been struggling for inspiration on this one all week, and come across nothing when out and about and was getting desperate. Wandered around the house yesterday and just happened to glance at the shredder!

Week 47 - Ornament

I suspected most people would be going for small, and quite possibly festive ornaments, so I'm bucking the potential trend and I've gone big and marine :LOL:

An anchor on the Cardiff Bay barrage

P1010470 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

P1010470 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Last edited:
I see it now Simon, all good!

Great image. I like how you've managed to grab the boat in the background and kept the tine of the anchor below the line of the far shore. Well composed!

I see it now Simon, all good!

Great image. I like how you've managed to grab the boat in the background and kept the tine of the anchor below the line of the far shore. Well composed!
Thanks bill! The boat was deliberate, the line of the anchor not so much :LOL:

Week 48 - Curves

A bit more thought into this week's shots

The first two are of the harbour wall at the Old Harbour, Barry Island. I'm torn between the colour and B&W versions. I think the B&W is the stronger image (I've upped the contrast a bit here) but personally I just like the colour version a little more. I'd have preferred the tide to be in but you can't have everything! I've also applied a little denoising in the colour version using Topaz Denoise.

The third image is a train pulling away from Barry Island train station, and the fourth of the curves in the bricks on the pavement caught my eye when wandering back to the car after taking the other shots - I had to crop this slightly to lose a distracting sign.

All shot with a Sony RX100vi

DSC02404 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

DSC02403 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

DSC02405 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

DSC02409 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Last edited:
Some nice shots Simon, I agree that the B&W one is better than the colour of the harbour, but they both could do with more seperation of the harbour wall against the background.
I like the train and also the pavement, I think out of the 4 the train wins in my eyes.

Pete

Some nice shots Simon, I agree that the B&W one is better than the colour of the harbour, but they both could do with more seperation of the harbour wall against the background.
I like the train and also the pavement, I think out of the 4 the train wins in my eyes.

Pete
Thanks Pete. What would I need to do to get that separation? Do you mean perspective wise , because the md of the harbour wall blends into the background? The lowish angle was deliberate, but I can see what you mean if that's the point your making.
here's another I took from higher up, still a bit blended at the far end, but a completely different perspective of the curve.
C131C4BA-C049-4C6E-9F8E-23DFF7E7A7BB.jpeg

It was more the flatness of the colour in the wall and background, try sharpening or changing the colour/ contrast of the harbour wall a bit using a mask.

A very Quick edit

SimonH by Peter Dyson, on Flickr

Pete

For me, the "higher up" shot does more to emphasise the curve and is more appealing as a composition

I do like the composition of your chosen image, but I'm much more drawn to the B&W of the same scene.

I think it might be to do with the additional contrast in the B&W.

I think the train shot has more contrast and also benefits from the pop of yellow on the front.

Some nice images. I still prefer the mono version of the harbour wall, but then I usually lean towards the B&W shots.

I do like the composition of your chosen image, but I'm much more drawn to the B&W of the same scene.

I think it might be to do with the additional contrast in the B&W.

I think the train shot has more contrast and also benefits from the pop of yellow on the front.
Thanks Kell. Comments really appreciated. I can see what you and others are saying, and (hopefully) makes me think more about future shooting.
I got the curve I wanted, but the flatness of the light does benefit from the extra contrast in the B&W shot.
Annoyingly we’ve got bright sun and blue sky today!

Some nice images. I still prefer the mono version of the harbour wall, but then I usually lean towards the B&W shots.
Thanks Helen. Yes, the more I look at them, the more I'm leaning towards the mono version

I do like the mono version of the Harbour. Great contrast, and kind of 'filmy'.

The low angle on the train shot is great, it really highlights the curves of the tracks.

I do like the mono version of the Harbour. Great contrast, and kind of 'filmy'.

The low angle on the train shot is great, it really highlights the curves of the tracks.
Thanks Nick - yes, the general consensus seems to be that people prefer the mono version - as I said I think it's a stronger photography shot but I did like the colour version too which is why I posted it.
I'm glad you like the low angle, it was deliberate. I don't use a tripod (as often as I should), but I did have my Manfrotto Pixie with me which I used on the station platform which enabled me to get that low angle without making a fool of myself by lying down, and increasing the chances of a better shot by not being handheld!

All fit the bill nicely and I'd have struggled to choose. I think my favourite is probably the train, because it's so perfectly placed and you can see the curve of the tracks so well.

All fit the bill nicely and I'd have struggled to choose. I think my favourite is probably the train, because it's so perfectly placed and you can see the curve of the tracks so well.
Thanks Bee! Comments and feedback appreciated as always!

Week 49 - Tool(s)

An opportunistically early submission for me this week. There's work going on at the moment to replace some of the decking on Penarth Pier (although most of the time when I've been there recently, there has been no one working!). Today though, there were some workmen hard at it, using a variety of tools....

P1010594 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

The guy kneeling must be confident of his aim - no protective glove.
Well spotted to capture a tool in use.

The guy kneeling must be confident of his aim - no protective glove.
Well spotted to capture a tool in use.
Thanks Peter. Mostly he was just using the drill to screw/unscrew timbers

Good opportunist shot :)

A general lack of H&S going on there.

Back