Simon's 52 in 2023

Week 48 - Arrow(s)

What might become a fairly common theme on the challenge this week - some roadsigns, taken on a foggy morning walk along Penarth seafront this morning,

Arrows by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

I think you might win the award for the most arrows in one shot.

I can see an obvious six/seven (depending on how you look at that sticker on the one way sign) but I’ve got a seventh/eighth you might not have clocked.

Last edited:
Plenty of arrows and a good spot if seating ever comes up as a theme, looks like the weather we have up here atm

I think you might win the award for the most arrows in one shot.

I can see an obvious six/seven (depending on how you look at that sticker on the one way sign) but I’ve got a seventh/eighth you might not have clocked.

Thanks Kell! I reckon there are at least 9 here - a couple were bonus ones, but the intention was to get more than the obvious ones in there! Good spotting.

I might have been outdone by @DB5 though......

Plenty of arrows and a good spot if seating ever comes up as a theme, looks like the weather we have up here atm

Thanks Keith!

Thanks Kell! I reckon there are at least 9 here - a couple were bonus ones, but the intention was to get more than the obvious ones in there! Good spotting.

I might have been outdone by @DB5 though......

Ah ok - there's clearly some I didn't get then.

The one I wondered was the road nARROWS sign.

But it sounds like maybe you already had. Including that, I could see 9.

Ah ok - there's clearly some I didn't get then.

The one I wondered was the road nARROWS sign.

But it sounds like maybe you already had. Including that, I could see 9.
A little bit of artistic interpretation....I'm going with
  • 2 on the first One Way sign (could argue more depending on how you interpret the little arrow symbol on the main white arrow)
  • 1 on the Parking sign
  • 4 on the Fire Assembly point
  • A sneaky one: Just sticking out behind the Fire Assembly point is the end of a fingerpost arrow signposting towards a now non-existent pitch and putt course
  • Another sneaky one: About half way down the line of lamp posts is another fingerpost arrow (pointing towards some toilets)

Nice take Simon - even the street lights at the left are having a go :)

Autumnal.. what a lovely location. Great leading lines for a lovely shot.
Arrows: you've definitely ticked the box with that one!

Autumnal.. what a lovely location. Great leading lines for a lovely shot.
Arrows: you've definitely ticked the box with that one!

Thanks Helen - yes, the autumnal spot is a fab location

Week 49 - Wet

So with plenty of rain about the obvious shot was some wet ground or puddles, and that was still my intention when out for a stroll along Penarth front this morning. But then I cam across the RNLI chaps who'd just brought their inshore lifeboat in from assisting with the "Santa Paddle Board" event in the Marins (how did I miss that?). They were washing the boat down, so I asked them if I could take a couple of shots, and they were happy for me to do so.
Some more obvious wet ones making up the set this week.

Washing down 3 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Washing down 2 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Wet 3 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Wet 2 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Wet 1 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Yep... tick!

Barry Island eh? Shame the Dai doesn't still have a scrapyard full of Steam Locos to shoot ;)

Your photo certainly fits the bill and has some nice textures.
Chere’s Tim. The loco scrapyard is loooong gone.
I vaguely remember it from a visit back in the 70's when my Dad who used to work for Geest came over from Lincolnshire as barry was where the “banana boats” came into.
live been in Cardiff since the early 80's and in Barry since 2005 and they've certainly been gone all that time.
Would have been a fascinating place to shoot.

Chere’s Tim. The loco scrapyard is loooong gone.
I vaguely remember it from a visit back in the 70's when my Dad who used to work for Geest came over from Lincolnshire as barry was where the “banana boats” came into.
live been in Cardiff since the early 80's and in Barry since 2005 and they've certainly been gone all that time.
Would have been a fascinating place to shoot.
According to wikipedia, the last loco to leave Woodhams was in 1990. though the last to actually leave the yard (the last of the Barry 10 - taken on by Glamorgan CC ?) was actually in 2013.

According to wikipedia, the last loco to leave Woodhams was in 1990. though the last to actually leave the yard (the last of the Barry 10 - taken on by Glamorgan CC ?) was actually in 2013.
Ah thanks. There’s always some wagons parked around there, but i don’t think there’s anything else left now, or even know how much track there is. I must stop one day instead of whizzing past to the island.
It’s weird how much we don’t know about the areas we live in!

Reactions: LC2
Week 51 - Festive

Thanks to this gent on Penarth promenade today, looking very festive and obligingly let me take a photo gf him.

Now, where can I get one of those suits......

Merry Christmas everybody!

Festive by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice one. He matches the fence :)

Back