Simon's 52 in 2023

Week 1 - Your area

Here we go:
I live in Barry, Vale of Glamorgan, just outside Cardiff, so what better way show this than a photo of the Gavin & Stacey mural on Marco's Café on the front at Barry Island. It's a bit of a "snap" so I was going to use one of the other photos for the main post, but they could have been shots taken anywhere - this one is Barry through and through....

P1020095 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Just next to Marco's is the Western Shelter, home of fish n chip and tat shops, amusements and ice cream parlours. Proper seaside!

P1020097 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

At the other end of the prom, by the Eastern Shelter are the colourful beach huts

P1020077 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

And whilst Barry (and Barry Island in particular) can get a bad rap from some (OK, the water's fairly murky), the beach is actually fabulous, although at this time of year it's mostly used by dog walkers!

P1020080 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice set - the beach huts is the best by far.

Barry is also famous for the huge steam train scrapyard that used to be there. Many of the heritage locos that were restored were rescued from there.

Yes, same as Dave said, nice set, beach huts is very strong - worth a repeat visit in the future (after rain!)

Your chosen one is tricky. If you went in closer, it would just be someone else's art. Perhaps you needed to be further back to show the setting.

Nice set - the beach huts is the best by far.

Barry is also famous for the huge steam train scrapyard that used to be there. Many of the heritage locos that were restored were rescued from there.
Thanks Dave. I vaguely remember the scrapyard. Gone before we moved here, but I once visited Barry back in the 70's with my Dad who worked for Geest, and this is where the banana boats used to come in.

Yes, same as Dave said, nice set, beach huts is very strong - worth a repeat visit in the future (after rain!)

Your chosen one is tricky. If you went in closer, it would just be someone else's art. Perhaps you needed to be further back to show the setting.

Thanks Paul. Beach just always a good shout. I was hoping for better reflections in the puddles. Usually quite busy down here so tricky to get shots without people unless you come stupid early.
Fair point noted on my chosen one, but it could have got messy with other distractions That were behind me (council van, people, motorbikes).

Fair enough with your reason for picking the Gavin and Stacey one... But, as said, the beach huts really stand out. I'd love to see the full reflection as well.

Fair enough with your reason for picking the Gavin and Stacey one... But, as said, the beach huts really stand out. I'd love to see the full reflection as well.
Thanks Graham….probably won’t have to wait too long for more rain here…

Some good images there Simon. Beach huts for me.
Thanks Peter - Beach huts seems the universal choice....(y) (I do like that shot, even though I didn't choose it as my posted theme)

Beach huts best shot for me as well.
The huts look in great condition and suspect you were right about not having to wait long for more rain- might need your wellies there now.

Beach huts best shot for me as well.
The huts look in great condition and suspect you were right about not having to wait long for more rain- might need your wellies there now.
Cheers Keith. Yep, bit damp here (again),

I love the reflections of the beach huts. Gavin and Stacey was a series I really enjoyed. Always think of it when I have an omelette :)
Cheers Bee! I play golf with a bloke who talks just like Uncle Bryn!

Some great shots there and your chosen image does what has been asked. However, another vote for the beach huts - great colour and reflections.

Beach huts image for me, definitely.

A really good set of images, Simon, and they give a strong sense of the place. I agree with the others who have said the image of the beach huts is a really strong one, although I understand why you picked the one that was most clearly Barry. There are some great lines, colours and shapes in the central third of the beach huts image and hopefully there will be a future theme when you can revisit and put them to good use! Best of luck with your 52.

A really good set of images, Simon, and they give a strong sense of the place. I agree with the others who have said the image of the beach huts is a really strong one, although I understand why you picked the one that was most clearly Barry. There are some great lines, colours and shapes in the central third of the beach huts image and hopefully there will be a future theme when you can revisit and put them to good use! Best of luck with your 52.
Thanks Andrea!
im pleased people liked this shot, although in full disclosure, I still tend to point and shoot without putting a whole lot of thought into the composition, although I do think I’m getting better at thinking about the shot. I tend to take most of my photos when out for a walk, rather than going out somewhere specifically to shoot, and I keep having to catch up with my wife!

All wonderful shots. I'd have gone beach huts though, Gavin and Stacey is a godawful show.
Thanks David! It's unanimous for the beach huts so far!
G&S is a must watch in our house....but then we live in Barry. And when the mind takes her, my daughter sounds just like Nessa! :LOL:

Week 2 - Incomplete

I can't say I'm struggling already - it's only week 2 after all, but a combination of continued bad weather, lack of opportunity and a fairly full diary (how did that happen, I'm supposed to be retired) are making things tight this week (getting my excuses in early). So I had a flash of inspiration. Well it was a flash for me, and I set up this shot of a partly opened daffodil - it's not yet completely open - geddit?

It's far from perfect on many counts, but hopefully it'll get me past @LC2 's eagle eyes to get me a tick in the box for this week.

DSCF0080 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Reactions: LC2
I think it works a little under exposed maybe but otherwise a good choice

Interesting and contrasting set of images of "Your Area. Like a lot of others. My fave is the beach huts for a lovely bit of colour and reflections.

I think it works a little under exposed maybe but otherwise a good choice
Thanks Allan. Yes, I played about a bit in post, but I still couldn’t quite get the light right.
Interesting and contrasting set of images of "Your Area. Like a lot of others. My fave is the beach huts for a lovely bit of colour and reflections.
Thanks Mandy!

A slightly tighter crop on a black background. In some way I like this one better, but I've managed to lose what little details I had in the petals

DSCF0083 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

I prefer the first take. As you say - detail.

Hey Simon, it's only week two! don't worry too much just yet, just keep posting. It's a marathon, not a sprint!.

I like a vignette, but feel it's too strong on the first, like the colour and mottled BG in the second. If you can see your own critique - you're halfway there. :).

Definitely checks the box Simon. I think you chose the right one.

I think the 1st one is better, maybe just try to boost the shadows in PP? Good take on the theme though

Hey Simon, it's only week two! don't worry too much just yet, just keep posting. It's a marathon, not a sprint!.

I like a vignette, but feel it's too strong on the first, like the colour and mottled BG in the second. If you can see your own critique - you're halfway there. :).
Thanks Graham. The background in the 2nd isn’t supposed to be mottled, but it’s a fairly old black foam insert for a cheapo lightbox, so has worked out ok in this instance. Thanks for the encouragement!

Definitely checks the box Simon. I think you chose the right one.
Thanks Bill!

First one for me too Simon. Perhaps just lightened a little in pp.
I think the 1st one is better, maybe just try to boost the shadows in PP? Good take on the theme though
Cheers Pete and Jim. Will have a play with lightening up.

I'm with the first shot too.. I haven't seen anything close to being open yet.

I'm with the first shot too.. I haven't seen anything close to being open yet.
Thanks Helen. Quite a few appearing round here. Saw some open about a week ago down near Cardiff Bay

Week 3 - Artificial

Artificial food colouring

So as usual, I came at this like a bull in a china shop. Had a few ideas, none of them worked for one reason or another, and then I though "articial food colouring"! No idea why - I never do any baking, that's my wife and daughter's domain. Anyway, set it all up took a few shots almost posted them but light, and focus wrong - DoF too narrow and syringe was OOF and creases from Lightbox as I'd positioned it badly as I'd rushed it (as always) just trying to get it out of the way.

So I set it all up again more carefully, thought about my settings and ended up with this. I'm sure it's not perfect and as always open to constructive comments, but I'm fairly pleased that it's a shot that fits the theme and I didn't post the first shots I took and came back and thought about it some more.

DSCF0170 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Back