Simon's 52 in 2023

That certainly works for the theme.

The funny thing was I had the same idea and went rootling around the kitchen cupboard, but we were out of food colouring!

That certainly works for the theme.

The funny thing was I had the same idea and went rootling around the kitchen cupboard, but we were out of food colouring!

Great minds and all that! Thanks Paul.

It all looks in focus to me, and very well set out. I think it’s a great picture.

One thing I’ve learnt from this weeks theme too is not to rush, I also thought of so many things I could do but like yourself, they just didn’t work or didn’t look right.

It all looks in focus to me, and very well set out. I think it’s a great picture.

One thing I’ve learnt from this weeks theme too is not to rush, I also thought of so many things I could do but like yourself, they just didn’t work or didn’t look right.
Thanks Sophie!

Nice setup and exposure, like you I had a few different ideas so think I will leave it a few days before deciding in future.
Perhaps more colouring would help the picture but then you might be in trouble next time cakes were being made “ have you used all the colouring for that picture you did”:)

Nice setup and exposure, like you I had a few different ideas so think I will leave it a few days before deciding in future.
Perhaps more colouring would help the picture but then you might be in trouble next time cakes were being made “ have you used all the colouring for that picture you did”:)
Thanks Keith. Going away for a few days tomorrow so needed to get something done today. You’re right about using more colour, but as it was the wife who was dropping it in whilst I was concentrating on the camera, discretion is the better part of valour! Also, the colouring wasnt as vivid as I’d expected. Could have pushed the red saturation I guess.

Reactions: nog
Lighting is good, it's all in focus, you've frozen the swirling movement of the colouring. Good for you for spotting things you knew could be improved and doing them.
Now you've got the set up sorted, a posher bottle of food colouring and a fancy wine glass would make it even more appealing :)

Lighting is good, it's all in focus, you've frozen the swirling movement of the colouring. Good for you for spotting things you knew could be improved and doing them.
Now you've got the set up sorted, a posher bottle of food colouring and a fancy wine glass would make it even more appealing :)
Thanks! Posh and fancy? Not in this house :ROFLMAO: but point taken

A really creative take on the theme Simon. Love the composition with the bottle and the syringe for context. And loved the commentary.

I'm glad you've made it clear it was food colouring! I don't do much staged work so I can't be particularly helpful on the studio setup but it looks well exposed and composed to me.

I'm glad you've made it clear it was food colouring! I don't do much staged work so I can't be particularly helpful on the studio setup but it looks well exposed and composed to me.
Ha ha! Thanks Helen. I did think it looked a bit like something else!
Posed and indoor shots are a challenge for me. Much happier taking outdoor photos.

I had the same idea but found some flowers so went with that.
I admire your thinking to drop some in the water to give it more impact.

I had the same idea but found some flowers so went with that.
I admire your thinking to drop some in the water to give it more impact.
Thanks Peter. Seems to have worked ok. Some suggestions above for how it could be I,proved, but I’m pretty happy with the result.

It’s a good idea but I think you know where it could be improved it’s all a learning curve and knowing where you can improve is a good step

Week 4 - Transparent

Better late than never. A bit (actually a lot) of a rush job as most of this week I've been up to my elbows in paint decorating my daughter's bedroom. So a point and shoot tick the box job.

DSC02597 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Nice shot on theme. A good tip is not to use your elbows for painting, probably why it's taken you so long.

Very tranquil.

Low angle works and lets us see through to the leaves at the bottom - spot on for the theme!

A really nice picture, the reflections in the river are interesting and the leading line draws you in. Great work! Hope the decorating is coming along well.

A really nice picture, the reflections in the river are interesting and the leading line draws you in. Great work! Hope the decorating is coming along well.
Thanks taking the time to feedback Sophie, very much appreciated. Decorating's done. Well that room anyway. Only two more to go (for the moment!)

Week 5 - Snapper's Choice & Tech (Juxtaposition)

I've been racking my brains for a juxtaposition shot, and whilst out for a walk this morning came across a couple of possibilities which I share here. The juxtaposition is the same in all both cases - "old with new"

The first shot is of the East Aberthaw Nature reserve, between Barry and Llantwit Major on the Glamorgan Heritage coast. The only editing here is a crop to tighten the shot to get a greater focus on the old lime kiln and the (relatively) new, posh house sitting not far away from it. The colours are as seen, using the default Provia profile in the Fuji X-S10. It's been a lovely day here, and the sun shining off the reed beds made the look lovely and golden.

The next three shots are off a signal box at the Aberthaw junction on the ridge you can see in the first shot and away to the left. It makes the point at which the Cardiff-Bridgen line spurs to provide rail access to the now decommissioned Aberthaw power station (you can see the old chimney behind the hill.

The first shot has a very gentle crop. I tightened the crop in the 2nd shot, and converted to B&W in the 3rd. However, it's the first shot that I prefer, as it just offers a little more view of the sad dilapidation surrounding this fabulous old signal box, despite the expanse of fairly uninspiring sky (the sun was in the wrong direction). The juxtaposition here is the ugly new(er) grey container to the left.

Nature Reserve - the Old and the New

East Aberthaw Nature Reserve Lime Kiln by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Signal Box wide angle

Aberthaw Signal Box by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Signal box tighter crop

Aberthaw Signal Box Crop by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Signal box B&W

Aberthaw Signal Box B&W by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

I'd favour the colour crop of the signal box. The only one with a clear subject and composition. Lovely light too. But with little interest in the sky, you only need enough to not clip the tower on the hill.

I'd favour the colour crop of the signal box. The only one with a clear subject and composition. Lovely light too. But with little interest in the sky, you only need enough to not clip the tower on the hill.
Thanks for the comments and thoughts Graham. That makes sense! Was a shame about the sky, and might be my inexperienced with settings, as it was. Lovely sky but just not when the camera was pointing that way!

It's a nice set Simon but I'm thinking that the first image is makes for a more apparent juxtaposition and is a cleaner shot.

Nice shots Simon, we used to play around there when we were kids, it's good that these little nature reserve are popping up on what would be otherwise waste ground.

Nice shots Simon, we used to play around there when we were kids, it's good that these little nature reserve are popping up on what would be otherwise waste ground.
Thanks John- it's a great spot. Maybe one day I'll get a good shot of the kingfishers there!

Didn't know there were Kingfishers there, I have been looking for another spot, save me going into Cardiff :)

Didn't know there were Kingfishers there, I have been looking for another spot, save me going into Cardiff :)
Yes - seen them a few times - tend to fly alongside the reed beds on the lime kiln side of the lake

Back