Simon's 52 in 2023

Bonusprint! Now there's a memory :)

Happy days, who knew what the result would be until the postman delivered. There’s another memory, having a post delivery every day!

Happy days, who knew what the result would be until the postman delivered. There’s another memory, having a post delivery every day!
I miss the anticipation of postal deliveries. Mind you, if I got 2 good shots out of a roll of 36 I’d be doing well!
Thanks Alan!

Gate - I like the symmetry of the building.. and am very envious of the blue sky!
I prefer the colour version of the Llandaff gate

Gate - I like the symmetry of the building.. and am very envious of the blue sky!
I prefer the colour version of the Llandaff gate

Thanks Nicky - appreciate you dropping by and commenting. The colour gate version seems to be the preferred one for most people.

Reminds me of the fun of opening the envelope and not knowing what sort of shot's you'd got.

Reminds me of the fun of opening the envelope and not knowing what sort of shot's you'd got.
Well my early days photography with a 110 camera and my first Praktica SLR tended to yield about a 10% workable image rate and 30 odd shots that were rubbish :LOL::LOL:

I think I prefer the pier although the light is a nice contrast with the horizontal islands.

I think I prefer the pier although the light is a nice contrast with the horizontal islands.
Thanks Nick. I like the pier shot too, but felt the lamp post was a slightly better fit for the theme.

Processing suits the pier, just making the preference for the pier shot unanimous so far .

Processing suits the pier, just making the preference for the pier shot unanimous so far .
Cheers Keith. I preferred the pier shot as an overall image, but genuinely thought the lamp post fitted the theme better, (but what do I know :LOL: ).
pier was shot on an Sony RX100vi, auto exposure bracketed with 5 frames and processed in Affinity Photo using the HDR merge function. Came out quite nicely.

Reactions: nog
It's the pier shot for me. Nice one :)

Two great upright shots Simon. I'm not sure how I feel about the tops of the bushes in your chosen shot (I find them a little distracting) but you might not have had any choice on that.

Two great upright shots Simon. I'm not sure how I feel about the tops of the bushes in your chosen shot (I find them a little distracting) but you might not have had any choice on that.
Thanks Bill. I left the tops of the hedge In deliberately but in hindsight, in doing that, I should have left more in view.

Week 42 - Forgotten

This high contrast mono shot was taken in Dyfffryn Gardens, a National Trust site just outside Cardiff today. The context for the theme is that this angle of this particular building in the gardens is usually never seen because the garden path runs in front of it, so people almost never venture behind to see this "forgotten" view. I include myself in that category - I've been here many, many times (it's only about 7 miles away) but until today have never ventured behind the building.

It just goes to show what changing perspective can bring...

Dyffryn Gardens Mono by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Lovely shot Simon :)

My kind of shot, excellent

My kind of shot, excellent
Thanks Gary!
Processing has worked well, love the brickwork
Cheers Keith. It was an auto bracketed exposure (3 frames), HDR merged in Affinity photo with the stock high contrast black and white option. A touch of perspective straightening too for full disclosure.

That works really well in B&W. Quite a bit of clarity? It suits it.
Thanks very much Tim. Yes, there’s definitely plenty of clarity in there - it was a default B&W HDR theme in Affinity and I didn’t pay any attention to how much each of setting had been applied/changed - just thought it looked rather cool

Very nice! I hadn't thought of using HDR on a mono. Something else to add to the list...

Very nice! I hadn't thought of using HDR on a mono. Something else to add to the list...
Thanks Donal. It definitely adds more punch to a shot. I’m having a bit of an HDR phase at the moment. Have to be careful I don’t overdo it!!!!

Week 43 - Spooky

Well, it's Halloween week of course....who saw that one coming? :LOL:

A few ideas for this one, but I thought I'd change it up a bit. My chosen shot is my (26 year old!) daughter's pumpkin carving but converted to B&W and given a bit of post processing. The eerie light over the top is actually the moon (it was sat on a post with the rising moon behind it) but suitable out of focus to give it a slightly more eerie affect. I was going to clone out the slightly odd looking top to the pumpkin, but decided it looks better with it in, giving it a somewhat odd look.

SpookyTP2 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

The second shot is the same pumpkin in colour without the moon behind it.

SpookyTP3 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

My final shot was going to be my main shot, but Pete (@seaodyssey) beat me to it - I had it prepared and ready to go, and yes I could have used it anyway. It's a witch silhouette overlayed on a spooky looking moon and cloudy sky from the other night over the back of my house.

Spooky by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

The witch is a lovely photo. It made me smile.

Back