SimonTALM's Photo 52 Thread

Well I may be a couple of days late posting this but I did take it during the week (check the EXIF if you don't believe me :))

DSC_9928.jpg

Click for EXIF

OK not my best shot but last week was not the best for me for a whole host of reasons which I won't go into, but needless to say this image has a number of meanings for me this week.

Things I've learned this week

1) I don't react to things how I expect (do us a favour and ignore this one please)
2) Even when you are laid up not able to walk you get ideas for photos (I did say it wasn't a good week)
3) Live view focusing on the D700 is not ideal but it does work (ish)

Well that's a nice set of Frodo Baggins's that you have there!! :D

I think the colour treatment is the only way in which a man should get his legs out, unless of course he has the matchin knotted hankie! :LOL:

Seriously this is a fantastic treatment of a mundane object that turns it into something outstanding. Late or not, it gets my vote. Well done :clap: :clap:

That's an amazing bit of processing, Simon. It looks almost like an x-ray - I was looking for bones. :D (y)(y)

You've reminded me I haven't yet tried live view on my D700 - but I have only had it since Christmas. :LOL:

Sorry you've had what sounds like a particularly bad week - hope this one's going better.

Jean

Well that's a nice set of Frodo Baggins's that you have there!! :D

I think the colour treatment is the only way in which a man should get his legs out, unless of course he has the matchin knotted hankie! :LOL:

Seriously this is a fantastic treatment of a mundane object that turns it into something outstanding. Late or not, it gets my vote. Well done :clap: :clap:

Thanks, I have the hankie but fear not I don't think you'll be seeing that :LOL:

That's an amazing bit of processing, Simon. It looks almost like an x-ray - I was looking for bones. :D (y)(y)

You've reminded me I haven't yet tried live view on my D700 - but I have only had it since Christmas. :LOL:

Sorry you've had what sounds like a particularly bad week - hope this one's going better.

Jean

Thanks, I enjoyed the processing this week but I couldn't put my finger on why but I think you've got it - it's the x-ray look :D

Get out there and try Live View - I thought it was a gimmick to start with but it is quite handy (a bit like Climate Control and Cruise Control in the car) you don't use it all the time but you'll never get another without it again.

Very unusual and sorry to hear about your week. Hope you're up and roaring soon!

Get out there and try Live View - I thought it was a gimmick to start with but it is quite handy (a bit like Climate Control and Cruise Control in the car) you don't use it all the time but you'll never get another without it again.

Mmmm - I'll have to give it a go. :)

You've made me think, though! Climate control and Cruise control - I use the heater in winter and I don't know how to use Cruise control! :confused: In fact I don't know if my car has it. :confused::confused:

Jean

Well I had planned to take a simple still life of Dohnuts this week. The reason for this is that I did a Geology degree and on field trips we often stopped off at bakers to get the departmental food stuff. I know they are bad for me but I still long for an occasional Doughnut.

However, the plan changed when I was talking about my idea with Nails and she suggested the longing to lick your lips when you eat doughnuts and even volunteered to be a model, so with suitable credit to Nails...

DSC_9951.jpg

Click for EXIF

Plus the other element to this is the Longing I have for these lips ;) :D

I'm glad you have posted this, cos now I feel o.k. about telling you I hated your duo, sorry, it just kind of gave me the hurl.:D

This weeks however... tells a story...makes me wonder if there is any doughnuts in the house....confirms I'm hetrosexual.....wonder if you were fighting the light (you won)...... lets me know you are back to your usual high standards.

Good effort Sir.

I'm glad you have posted this, cos now I feel o.k. about telling you I hated your duo, sorry, it just kind of gave me the hurl.:D

This weeks however... tells a story...makes me wonder if there is any doughnuts in the house....confirms I'm hetrosexual.....wonder if you were fighting the light (you won)...... lets me know you are back to your usual high standards.

Good effort Sir.

Thank you, I think :thinking: I will admit last week (and this week to some extent) was something random to get an image. I will be back to full form next week.

I am slightly concerned that you may have been attracted to my feet with the comment in red :help: :LOL:

Not keen on the Duo shot, but the processing is amazing.

The Longing shot is very good indeed, nicely done.

Thank you, I think :thinking: I will admit last week (and this week to some extent) was something random to get an image. I will be back to full form next week.

I am slightly concerned that you may have been attracted to my feet with the comment in red :help: :LOL:

This week, confirms I'm hetrosexual because your hairy legs made me feel slightly nauseous and your female subject did not, if that makes sense.

Simon, no more leg shots, Ok...:puke:

Sorry Simon I agree with hyster on the feet shot... I looked at it several times but couldn't find anything nice to say about it...

This weeks however...confirms I'm hetrosexual.....(well done for finding yourself Hyster...:LOL:

you are back to your usual high standards.

Good effort Sir.

:agree: and can confirm I'm hetrosexual because I like your girlfriends cheeky tongue...:LOL:

Duo - well its different :) I am in two minds about it - I do like different, but I'm not sure if this one clicks for me - still you got it in in what sounds bad week so top marks for making it :)

Longing: Concept is fantastic, framing and composition also very very good - but to me the mouth/lips/tongue look a little soft or oof :shrug: or is it me?

Ohh I hate being negative :crying:

Duo is an interesting shot, not one for the wall though. The processing is clever though and well done for getting a shot in what sounds like a tough week for you. :clap:

Longing, I long to see a bit more dof tbh. The donut is just a little to oof for me. :shrug:

Like DS I hate being negative, and it's still a far better thought out shot than my own megre effort this week.:crying:

Mark(y)

I think this was a really difficult theme, so all credit for not only confessing your longing for doughnuts but getting a shot to illustrate the sensual pleasure of those grainy bits of sugar, that delectable, slightly chewy texture, the sense of naughtiness, the sheer decadance, the gorgeous, pervasive smell .....

...... STOP TORTURING ME!!!!

Right, pull yourself together, Jean. :LOL:

Seriously, I like the shot, although I think you could perhaps have made more use of dof - perhaps the doughnut in focus, with Nails' mouth slightly oof. And the logical bit of my mind wonders if the doughnut should be whole and Nails is anticipating the first delicious, sugary, chewy, decadant, delectable bite.......

......... TORTURE, TORTURE :D

Clearly I can't be trusted to be sensible around a doughnut.

:exit: - drooling all over the place. :D

Jean

Oh you are havin a larf!!! Here I am trying to be good, cos the trousers are groaning, and then you go and put on a shot with doughnuts n sugar with someone eating them and talk about longing!! :bang: :bang:

Seriously, this weeks them is a pig, and you did well to come up with a shot that meets the theme. I don't think its technically the best I've seen from you, but it is in no way a bad shot. Well done :clap: :clap:

Last edited:
Love the processing on your feet for duo (y) The not licking the lips thing is just wrong imo but it totally fits the theme and the DoF works nicely :)

Good god put some socks on man!!

Duo... I'm not going to comment as I really don't like feet... I really can't be objective about feet... please put the feet away :puke:

Sounds like you had a carp week - hope you are back on top form now ;)

Longing - like the idea and it nearly works for me but the DOF is not quite right. Good idea though and it certainly makes me long for a dohnut (or 12)!

Sorry to hear you've been having a tough time Simon and hope you are picking up now. ;)

Duo had the same effect on me a smy Identity picture had on others :eek:. Love the treatment but hte picture itself makes me :runaway: and :exit:

Longing, well done to Nails for 'volunteering' but this doesn't quite gel for me, I think it's a bit soft, and I too hate being negative :( but I'm sure you'll be back on form this week. I know when I'm not feeling good both my inspiration and technical execution disappear.

Have a :hug:

Seriously, I like the shot, although I think you could perhaps have made more use of dof - perhaps the doughnut in focus, with Nails' mouth slightly oof. And the logical bit of my mind wonders if the doughnut should be whole and Nails is anticipating the first delicious, sugary, chewy, decadant, delectable bite.......
Jean

I agree with this. Has some great potential but with the above carried out could be a really great shot.

Thanks everyone for your comments for the past 2 weeks, it's been a bit of a struggle. I'm sorry I've not managed to get to comment on all your photos but finding the time to get on here to comment on photos has been difficult, I will find time this week - I promise.

Anyway here is this week's photo.

DSC_0030.jpg

Click for EXIF

Things I've learned this week
1) Chocolate shows fingerprints really well
2) Lighting a black reflective surface like granite is very difficult

I think Lindt are doing well out of the TP 52 this week :D

I like the lighting you have used as it has really brought out the texture of the chocolate. Being picky I don't like the thumb / finger print on the broken piece of chocolate at the bottom but to break the choc you have to touch it so it's not like it shouldn't be there if you know what I mean.

All in all - I like it! (y)

Works well Simon, as DS said, you could loose the fingerprints.

Shooting foodstuff for a living must be a nightmare.

Like how the chocolate is sitting but wonder if a tighter crop would work?

Fits the theme anyway and its a fine pic.

Very nice, works for me too.... There's so much choccy this week :D... The lighting is great, the granite has worked really well too

I think Lindt are doing well out of the TP 52 this week :D

I like the lighting you have used as it has really brought out the texture of the chocolate. Being picky I don't like the thumb / finger print on the broken piece of chocolate at the bottom but to break the choc you have to touch it so it's not like it shouldn't be there if you know what I mean.

All in all - I like it! (y)

I know I'd spotted the fingerprints when I was processing it - must pay more attention as I'm shooting

That's very good-looking chocolate, Simon. :love::love:

I like the way you've used the lighting to enhance the lettering and pattern on the chocolate. (y)

Granite background :eek: Well done though. It looks good to me (when I can drag my eyes off the choc. :D

Jean

Cheers :D

Works well Simon, as DS said, you could loose the fingerprints.

Shooting foodstuff for a living must be a nightmare.

Like how the chocolate is sitting but wonder if a tighter crop would work?

Fits the theme anyway and its a fine pic.

I think a tighter crop would have been good but I chose a wider crop to include the darkness of the granite as that fitted this theme.

Very nice, works for me too.... There's so much choccy this week :D... The lighting is great, the granite has worked really well too

Cheers, as DS says Lindt must have done well this week.

Yep I have a shot very similar to this as well although not to the standard you've achieved. Like it a lot, off to finish the chocolate now!(y)

Funny how this week theme seem to all be going one way...:LOL:

I like the lighting catching the lettering of Lindt...brilliant...:love:

as said the fingerprint doe's take a little from a other wise fantastic shot...(y)

Nice interpretation Simon - love the lighting on this and the chosen surface you've placed the chocolate on - works very well - I guess the only -ve is the print :)

Caught redhanded eh? :D

Yep I have a shot very similar to this as well although not to the standard you've achieved. Like it a lot, off to finish the chocolate now!(y)

I did spot alot of chocolate this week - and what a rewarding week too we all have an excuse to eat a whole bar of the finest chocolate about.

Funny how this week theme seem to all be going one way...:LOL:

I like the lighting catching the lettering of Lindt...brilliant...:love:

as said the fingerprint doe's take a little from a other wise fantastic shot...(y)

I know, I think I may attempt a reshoot the next time one is drawn from the bag and this watch out for the fingerprints.

Nice interpretation Simon - love the lighting on this and the chosen surface you've placed the chocolate on - works very well - I guess the only -ve is the print :)

Cheers - I think the low diffused angled side light really brings out the texture nicely.

Perhaps running your hands/wrists under cold water before handling the choc would have prevented the finger prints.

It is a nicely thought out composition though and I too adore dark lindt chocolate, although I prefer it in bunny form!! :clap::clap:

(y) :agree:

Jon

Perhaps running your hands/wrists under cold water before handling the choc would have prevented the finger prints.

It is a nicely thought out composition though and I too adore dark lindt chocolate, although I prefer it in bunny form!!

Thanks, good tip for the cold water thing I'll try that next time.

P.S. Are you sure the bunny form is Dark Chocolate? I thought the bunnies were milk :thinking:

mmmm more chocolate :D

tbh the prints dont bother me and i really like the composition.

Thanks, I've just found out that Sainsbury's has a 3 for 2 offer on all Lindt bars at the moment (only a week late :bang: - will just have to console myself by eating a bar :naughty:)

As soon as the theme came out the bag I knew the shot I was going to get as it was "Simples". Unlike some (not looking in anyone's direction - angela ;)) this is a fresh photo.

DSC_2826.jpg

Click for EXIF

What I learned this week.

1) My new (to me) D300 is a perfect host for my 70-200 f2.8 VR, The crop factor helps get that little bit more frame filling goodness.
2) Shooting Meerkats is not simple! The little rodents wait until you move your camera from your eye for a rest before posing.
3) The D300 with 70-200 f2.8 VR is a heavy beast and therefore I must stop eating last week's chocolate and get down the gym more often :D
4) I must get a proper filter wrench set, or at least never stack my CPL and UV together in haste (I know it's not goof for IQ but I was being lazy). It takes a long time, some blood, sweat and tears when you have to unjam them with just your hands when they become stuck together.

Very nice, looks like a good combination of lens and camera. Shame he's not looking at you but as you say, not a simple shot to get.

Mark

Very nice...I just love to oof background...spot on for this great subject...excellent shot...:notworthy:

Back