Simsling - 52 for 2011 Wk5 - Hard

loving the composition of #1, but it looks a touch soft. A close crop maybe?

your final image for me is the winner (the ticking second hand), how did you take it? handheld? lovely how you have captured the second hand...just a shame the rest of the image looks like the camera has moved during the exposure.

keep it up though, excellent so far!

#1 was a close crop, but I think the resizing for the forum sizes maybe softens it a little as the original looked sharp.

The ticking second hand setup - camera mounted on a tripod (not handheld) however after examining the original prior to resize, there is a reflection of the hands on the blue face, it is not actually that the camera moved. the lighting I had was just a table lamp, and I think this caused the problem. I had to focus on the 10 in order to get the effect of the hands moving, if I had the words in focus the second hand just became a blur. I will come back to this type of shot in the future, preferably during daylight to try again, as I said in my op I found this shot much more difficult to do than I thought it would be. I learnt a lot from it and will try to put this knowledge to use next time.

Simon.

Many thanks to everyone else who took the time to comment, Looks like number one in the series is a clear winner in most peoples eyes.

Simon

Here we go again then with week 4 - Open.

I had several ideas this week,looking for doors, gates, cans all sorts of things to photograph, I finally settled on this one though - mainly because at the end of the photo session, I actually got to eat the fruits of my labour :LOL:

anyway here is week 4 - Open Sandwich

As always all comments appreciated - I know there are a couple of flaws in this photograph, but by the time I had spotted them when they were uploaded it was too late as the sandwich had been eaten !! (well I didn't want it to dry out under the lights did I)

5385343592_192c0e1520_b.jpg

As always thanks for looking

Simon.

Hiya Simon,

Well done :clap: a great take on the theme and it definitely looks appetising :)

I like the added touch of the herb.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Great take on the theme. I'm suddenly feeling very hungry!

So was I - until after the shoot when the subject got eaten :)

oh yummy !!! lighting is great

pleased you liked it.

Hiya Simon,

Well done :clap: a great take on the theme and it definitely looks appetising :)

I like the added touch of the herb.

herb was Rosemary - straight from the garden, tasted awful but gave the picture the finishing touch.

thanks all

Simon.

Cheers

Yet another great take.

I really like the tight composition.

I wonder if you could have placed the cheese to make the sandwich have a face (tomatoes as the eyes, brown crust and the smile and the herbs as the hair)?

Cheers.

Yet another great take.

I really like the tight composition.

I wonder if you could have placed the cheese to make the sandwich have a face (tomatoes as the eyes, brown crust and the smile and the herbs as the hair)?

Cheers.

Thanks for the comments - I did think about that at the beginning, but if you will pardon the pun, I thought it would look a bit "cheesey" :LOL:

Simon

This shot is excellent. Such a simple idea but very well executed.

The lighting is almost perfect and I feel I could just reach in and pick it up.

Ok, now I'm going to get really picky. The lighting is great everywhere except on the cheese which has little detail/texture. Would anyone really put Rosemary in a sandwich? The edge of the table on the left of the pic is a bit distracting.

But all that is just being very picky. This is a lovely shot.

You've just made a man who has not much for his lunch today awful hungry!

Great product shot... nothing more to say I like it... and the theme is obvious... good work!

Well thats made me hungry! Good shot and nice strong colours.

My only tiny little crit is that the board corner/edge is a bit distracting. Would interesting to see in the middle or photoshoped out as a continuation.

Really great shot, I do however agree with partick that the corner of the table to the left distracts a bit from the main image.

Apart from that faultless in my eyes!

Nice idea and very well shot too(y) I'm glad I've just eaten before I looked at this :D

Super take, great colours, well lit. Love it

This shot is excellent. Such a simple idea but very well executed.

The lighting is almost perfect and I feel I could just reach in and pick it up.

Ok, now I'm going to get really picky. The lighting is great everywhere except on the cheese which has little detail/texture. Would anyone really put Rosemary in a sandwich? The edge of the table on the left of the pic is a bit distracting.

But all that is just being very picky. This is a lovely shot.

Not at all picky Patrick, I agree with you entirely, if I was to look for excuses I would say that I was going to fix the corner of the board in PS, but found I wasn't good enough to do it. The cheese was a cheap cut and didn't have much texture. The rosemary - I used artistic licence, I was going to go for a piece of cucumber on a coctail stick with parsley garnish, but didn't have any parsley, saw the rosemary in the garden, liked the contrasting dark green and silver and decided to use that. A cheap excuse but mainly because I was too lazy to go to the shops. :LOL: Note for next shot, get out of the house and stop being Idle.

You've just made a man who has not much for his lunch today awful hungry!

Great product shot... nothing more to say I like it... and the theme is obvious... good work!

Thanks Mark (y)

Well thats made me hungry! Good shot and nice strong colours.

My only tiny little crit is that the board corner/edge is a bit distracting. Would interesting to see in the middle or photoshoped out as a continuation.

I agree, I should have seen this in camera and changed the angle of my shot, another learning curve, thanks for your comments :)

Really great shot, I do however agree with partick that the corner of the table to the left distracts a bit from the main image.

Apart from that faultless in my eyes!

Thanks for the comments and encouragement - much appreciated

A great shot. Beautifully lit and very colourful. Did anyone else stare at it for a minute and see a face?

Well done Simon.

Had a go at creating a face but didn't really like it, but I obviously didn't change it enough - thanks for commenting

Nice idea and very well shot too(y) I'm glad I've just eaten before I looked at this :D

I ate it after shooting, and it did taste good (y) :)

Thanks all for your comments, I will try and take them all on board for next week.

Simon.

That's a well lit sandwich. Agree about the corner of the table, but wouldn't have noticed if it hadn't been pointed out, such is the quality of the shot.

Looks a bit like a girlfriend I used to have.

Thats a nice looking sandwich. I've always struggled to get food looking succulant and ready to eat - you've done v well, I especially like the tomatoes and the ham (thats not to say I like tomatoes and ham, if you made me a tomato and ham sandwich I wouldn't be very happy).

I don't think the corner of the board is that much of a distraction to be honest, I didn't notice it until it was pointed out so it can't be that intrusive.

Now thats what you call a sandwich - what a great shot! The lighting and colours are great, really nice (y)

Great shots for all weeks mate, the watch images for week 3 get my vote. Week4 shot is excellent, lovely colours and perfect exposure. Im actually feeling quite hungry now lol!!!

Again folks, many thanks for all your encouragement and comments, I am sorry I have not thanked you earlier, but unfortunately work commitments are now starting to affect the amount of time I am able to spend on here, I fear over the next few weeks I will start lagging a little behind - but I am determined to catch up !

Simon.

A bit late with this weeks offering, I don't know about you but I always found it hard to do my sums at school, fortunately my 3 year old daughter doesn't seem to have so many problems :)

So here is this weeks entry - Hard Sums:

5416350085_6953e2b4bd_b.jpg

Reason for this picture - couldn't think of anything else, though for next week I really do want to get away from indoor shooting !! (time permitting), down side - a three year old that wants to do what she wants and not what you want her to. overall reasonably happy but look forward to your comments about what I have missed.

thanks for looking

Simon.

A really fun pic which I like a lot. Perfect for the theme. Nice colour with the red, black and natural skin and hair tones going well together.

Nicely exposed and lit. I would like to have seen the little girl more in focus - perhaps a deeper depth of field. I was slightly confused about why the slateboard appears in the pic twice (I'm probably being dim).

Overall a great shot.(y)

Great idea! The thought of a 3yr old managing roots and equations had me smiling :D

I can add nothing to crit given above as this is way outside my comfort zone, but I will say I like the composition and the incomplete problem posted together with the solution in the child's hands (y)

Brilliant idea and very well taken. And Tina says the solution is there so I'll take her word for it (I have no idea)
Only things I would say could improve it for me are cloning out the mark on the slate just beside your daughters left thumb, and smoothing the background.

A really fun pic which I like a lot. Perfect for the theme. Nice colour with the red, black and natural skin and hair tones going well together.

Nicely exposed and lit. I would like to have seen the little girl more in focus - perhaps a deeper depth of field. I was slightly confused about why the slateboard appears in the pic twice (I'm probably being dim).

Overall a great shot.(y)

Thanks for the comments Patrick, I was actually trying to re-create a school classroom type scene (very badly), the board on the wall setting the problem, the board in hand showing the solution. I actually wanted the girl to be more out of focus than she was really, with the emphasis then being on the sum which fitted the theme of "hard" rather than trying to make it look like a portrait. My daughter decided she had had enough after just one shot ! so this was the only one I got, and no time to experiment - but they do say don't work with kids.

Excellent idea!

Thank you (y)

Great idea! The thought of a 3yr old managing roots and equations had me smiling :D

I can add nothing to crit given above as this is way outside my comfort zone, but I will say I like the composition and the incomplete problem posted together with the solution in the child's hands (y)

Pleased you enjoyed it Tina

Brilliant idea and very well taken. And Tina says the solution is there so I'll take her word for it (I have no idea)
Only things I would say could improve it for me are cloning out the mark on the slate just beside your daughters left thumb, and smoothing the background.

Cheers Barry - I thought about smoothing the background, but as I wanted it to look more like a classroom, I thought there should be a few more marks on the wall, then again, the more I look at it the less I see a classroom :shrug:

As for if it is the correct answer - I too will trust Tina - I just "googled" an equation cos I didn't know where to start :)

Oooh I love that shot:)
Clever girl!

Only problem I can see is that the 'x' is written incorrectly...

I will tell her about the "x" but to be fair she is still only 3 :) out of interest, how should it have been written ? it was a long time ago when I was at school !

again thanks for all the comments folks

Simon.

more curvy, i.e. a back to front 'c' connected to a 'c'
or else it may be confused with a multiplication...
or at least that's what I was told doing my 'A' Levels!!!

amazing what you can learn on a photography forum :) thanks for the explanation Dan, I wasn't up to 'A' level standard - in fact I only just passed my CSE's (now that really is showing my age)

Simon

Hiya Simon,

:LOL: I love this image ..... it is brill!

Agree with some of the comments already made, so won't repeat what has already been mentioned.

I see this from two perspectives, i.e., 1) your daughter is the teacher marking your work (which is probably the less believable considering what you said about your maths at school) and 2) that your daughter has solved the problem for you (which is the more believable) :p In which case, for the latter option it would have been an added touch if you daughter had a piece of chalk in her hand as though she had just written the solution.

BTW I like how you have the red, black and white combination ..... was it planned that way or just a fluke?

Either way, I think you have a lovely, humourous photo here.

Well done.

Cheers

Hey Simon

Sorry for taking so long to crit your images...

To be honest I dont really have much crit to give... they all reflect the themes well and are shot well!

Mark

Simon, I missed your week 4, what a very well taken photograph! And an awesome sandwich, Hungary again now! I also like your week 5, a great view point, and a well executed photograph.

Thanks for your coments Michael

Hiya Simon,

:LOL: I love this image ..... it is brill!

Agree with some of the comments already made, so won't repeat what has already been mentioned.

I see this from two perspectives, i.e., 1) your daughter is the teacher marking your work (which is probably the less believable considering what you said about your maths at school) and 2) that your daughter has solved the problem for you (which is the more believable) :p In which case, for the latter option it would have been an added touch if you daughter had a piece of chalk in her hand as though she had just written the solution.

BTW I like how you have the red, black and white combination ..... was it planned that way or just a fluke?

Either way, I think you have a lovely, humourous photo here.

Well done.

Cheers

Hi Dawn

I think she would definately be the teacher, she is always putting me in my place and telling me what to do, especially when I am in the wrong (which apparently is all the time) goodness knows what state I will be in when she's a teenager :LOL:

The colours were semi-planned, The white background is permanently up in my home office/studio, I was originally going to use one of her dolls as the model, but persuaded my daughter to be my model when she came home from pre-school in her uniform, she wanted to get changed but I thought the red top would work well with the black so persuaded her not to change, so I will try to take some credit for colour co-ordination.

Agree about the chalk in her hand, but as I said in an earlier post, I litterally only got one shot of her before she decided to go and do something more interesting.

Hey Simon

Sorry for taking so long to crit your images...

To be honest I dont really have much crit to give... they all reflect the themes well and are shot well!

Mark

Thanks for dropping by Mark, I know what you mean about trying to get round to commenting on each persons threads, I am one of the worst for not commenting enough, there never seems to be enough time on here.

interestingly though, the idea for my week 5 photo was suggested in part by one of my work colleagues - a guy called Mark Elliott - it's a small world eh ! I can now tell him he commented on my work (y)

Thanks again to all for taking the time to comment.

I now have a very busy 3 weeks coming up, and I don't think I will have time to continue my 52 for a while, BUT I promise I will be back here within the month playing catchup.

Simon.

Back