Sky Q Launches Today

Ricardodaforce

Self requested ban
Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Anyone going to get it? I probably will cos I am a sucker for new tech!

Just had a look and it's tell me £1.50 extra a month with an upfront cost of £150 which is not as bad as I expected.

I can't seem to find much info on the app though, it's listed as a tablet app but doesn't say anything about phones and I can't see to find out whether you can also stream all channels outside of your house (I know you can take recordings).

Last edited:
Web site seems to playing up. I can´t order yet, I keep getting bad gateways etc

I'm just about to cancel sky, so no I will not be getting Sky Q :)

Well I say about to cancel, it may take me a while for them to actually cancel, from past experience they can be a little obstinate on the matter of cancelations, passing you from one department to the other and then offering you huge discounts. Personally I would prefer to be able to simply cancel online, not an option they give, although surprisingly you can upgrade online, I wonder why :rolleyes:

Ah here you go..

For me to switch back to Sky from scratch, with Q silver, unlimited Fibre, no movies or sports

Your selection
  • Sky Q Silver TV£54
    • Sky Q Bundle
    • Sky Q Silver Bundle

• Sky Talk Pay As You Talk £0
  • Sky Line Rental £17.40
  • Sky Fibre Unlimited £20
  • Total monthly cost £91.40
  • One-off cost £149
    Minimum 18 month contract

An Extra £12 a month for me only have Sky TV no movies or sport.

But a £350 one off cost no thanks

I just spoke to Sky on the phone and was really up for upgrading bug the new setup just wouldn't suit us.

In our house we have two Sky+ HD boxes and I was looking to upgrade one or two of them so in the two rooms we can still have a totally separate list of recordings but Sky Q isn't compatible with other boxes and you can't have two Q boxes so we would need to have one main box and the mini box thing in the other room meaning that we're all using the same Sky box hard drive. The guy on the phone said he's had tonnes of people telling him this is a rubbish idea and I agree.

I use the app on my phone to watch Sky all the time and was interested when they said that you can sync your box recordings with the app and take it out with you as well as stream the TV channels but it turns out that they haven't developed the mobile app yet and it's only available for tablets which is ridiculous.

I was almost ready to throw my money at them but the setup just won't work for us at all.

I think it is a step forwards and really want the sharing feature but 2tb is limited considering we currently have three sky+ boxes.

An Extra £12 a month for me only have Sky TV no movies or sport.

But a £350 one off cost no thanks

An extra 18/month for me with a one off cost of 149. That comes with the silver box (which I want) and one of the mini boxes (which I don't). No option just to have the silver box. So I won't get it until there is the option.

One thing that puts me off is ,why pay a one off fee to never to own the box you have to give it all back if you cancel.

£12.75 extra per month, £99 for the box and £50 installation.

I don't see the value myself. I still don't get what I get for my increased monthly fee other than the ability to watch my recordings elsewhere like I can already.

So two more wifi access points; I've already got four in my home.

£50 installation? For what?

Nah I'll stick to my current big box.

£12.75 extra per month, £99 for the box and £50 installation.

I don't see the value myself. I still don't get what I get for my increased monthly fee other than the ability to watch my recordings elsewhere like I can already.

So two more wifi access points; I've already got four in my home.

£50 installation? For what?

Nah I'll stick to my current big box.

It differs depending on your current package. It was only £1.50 extra a month for me and you don't have to use the boxes as range extenders.

The installation is for a new LNB on the dish.

What will the lnb do? Mine already has four feeds.

What will the lnb do? Mine already has four feeds.
I don't know. The point is, you need a new one.

Traditionally Sky will never just send out equipment anyway and let you do it, they will always install even if it's just a new box. I presume it's just part of the service they're trying to offer or they don't trust people enough to do it without crashing Astrasats satellites into the ocean.

I don't know. The point is, you need a new one.

Traditionally Sky will never just send out equipment anyway and let you do it, they will always install even if it's just a new box. I presume it's just part of the service they're trying to offer or they don't trust people enough to do it without crashing Astrasats satellites into the ocean.
Yes and every time they say they cannot do the installation for me as the loft isn't boarded and I refuse to have wires on the outside of the house. Likewise I won't give their engineers access to my home network.

Ah well I'm not getting one. I really can't see the value add.

FYI, don't take the web site prices as gospel.

I have the following:

Sky HD box in living room
Sky HD box in bedroom
Sky multiscreen
Every Sky package
Sky Fibre 40mb internet - unlimited
Sky pay as you go landline (only need a landline for internet, don't even have a phone)
Sky Go Extra

This should be IRO £150 a month and I pay £75.15 pm

i called them about it a few weeks ago as my bt contract was due to expire and i was hoping that i could work out some sort of a deal whereby i upgraded my current sky bundle and moved across to their broadband (albeit downgrading from 70mb to 40) with a view to paying less overall. For what basically amounted to a bit better sky box system with the q box and a streaming box, downgraded broadband and a slightly lesser phone package, not to mention losing bt sports they wanted to charge me about 10 quid a month more than what i was already paying (and wanted to try and reduce since i was paying over the odds then). So in a nutshell i told them to shove the q box package, called bt and just downgraded my infinity 2 to infinity 1 and got a deal sorted over the sports. Didn't get the upgrade on the sky boxes but brought my bill down by about 30 quid a month. It wouldn't have been so bad if the guy on the phone actually had half a clue what he was talking about with the sky boxes, he was trying to tell me the router is a 2gb router whereas it actually just has 2 1gb ethernet ports when most half decent routers have 4 1gb ports...

My OH had just brought a quad HD tv and wants the £150 quad hd sky box but they say that because we do not have sky broadband then she has to wait - seems very unfair to me as I can't really see what a broadband service has to do with a satellite tv service as it does not even need a broadband connection to work!

It's like sainsburys saying they will not sell me food as i do not use their insurance or banking services.

My OH had just brought a quad HD tv and wants the £150 quad hd sky box but they say that because we do not have sky broadband then she has to wait - seems very unfair to me as I can't really see what a broadband service has to do with a satellite tv service as it does not even need a broadband connection to work!

It's like sainsburys saying they will not sell me food as i do not use their insurance or banking services.

It does need a broadband connection. All the on-demand stuff is delivered via broadband, not satellite signal.

I have some sympathy for them delivering it first and only to Sky Broadband users. I can only assume they want the experience as good as they can control/provide it, and having other suppliers involved can make it more complex to troubleshoot issues for this relatively new service.

Technically I see no reason why it can only be Sky Broadband, but from a service introduction perspective I do understand it.

i guess some isps block certain ports which could cause issues but i tend to avoid port blocking providers
Not everyone has that luxury to pick and choose their providers. Even if I wanted Sky, they don't provide it where I live...

Back