Sky Q Launches Today

Sky will launch UHD TV on Sky Q by summer says Nick Herm, director of strategy, Sky. The pay broadcaster will also be adding voice control, he said.

Cool! Why?

1 box is connected to the coax cable,,, the other two mini boxes can be moved about your home ,,, mini boxes connect with the wifi . I got 2 mini boxes, thou to be honest only needed 1, as so simple to move about, plus point,,, ill be able to have tv outside and be able to watch Norn iron win the Euros :) .. the new touch remote takes 5 mins to get used, and that will be your one, as the Mrs wont be able to work it,,, so she gets the standard one ... plus plus no more programmes clashing

I have it and like it a lot, cost me £1.50 more a month and £250 one off fee for 1 main box and 2 remote boxes which i think is perfectly acceptable for the tech your getting

plus' for me
  • 4k (eventually) I have a 65" samsung and 4k looks amazing on it,
  • being able to watch the progs recorded on the other boxes (we like to watch a bit of telly in bed)
  • ending program clashes which bugged the hell out of me constantly
  • a few other small but nice touches in the os

BUT

there is a bug in the system the remote boxes after 11.30pm have a tendancy to not show the tv guide and have connection problems

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/No-TV-Guide/td-p/2448048/highlight/false ive had it happen to me numerous times

Installed yesterday- actually costing me less than the three HD boxes as I threatened to cancel. No one off fee either.
Takes a bit of getting used to but so far so good.
As said above the mini boxes can be put anywhere and the remotes are neat. Big sports fans and loads of extras.

I see install cost have really come down now making it a lot more tempting. I do like the idea of watching some movies and the F1 in 4K.

We have the sky q router only as the old one was crap tbh.
Sucks only having 2 ports thou. Wireless signal is still rubbish.
May consider the new boxes thou once the price comes down

I picked up a friends & family code on AVF, Sky Q + all the channels for £35 a month, been with Virgin forever and never had Sky so thought I would give it a go. Due for install next week.

I'm just about to cancel sky, so no I will not be getting Sky Q :)

Well I say about to cancel, it may take me a while for them to actually cancel, from past experience they can be a little obstinate on the matter of cancelations :rolleyes:

I had the same experience and found them quite infuriating - so I just cancelled the payment through the bank and they cancelled my service pronto. Doing it this way means you don't have to deal with the numpties on the other end of the phone and you also get a mean sense of satisfaction.

My Sky Q install went ahead without problems. However I then discovered that my new 4K Sony TV is not compatible with 4K output from either Sky or BT. According to their website they are doing a software update this month to resolve the issue. Not long to do it then.

I'm tempted by the SKY Q hype.
Called them up and they wanted £199 for the 1Tb box.
On further asking it was then £45 for the box and an additional £12 monthly subs (inc one mini box).
Still works out close to £200 :confused:

Anyone have any tips on getting this sans additional £200?
FWIW, I don't have a 4k tv, and can't see a need for recording 4 programmes when iPlayer, C4 have a catch up service.

My OH has had skyq installed today but there do not seem to be any channels that broadcast in ultra hd - does anyone know when they will start broadcasting in ultra hd (ie 2160p instead of 1080p)?

My OH has had skyq installed today but there do not seem to be any channels that broadcast in ultra hd - does anyone know when they will start broadcasting in ultra hd (ie 2160p instead of 1080p)?

The 4K stuff is download only EXCEPT some of the football which is broadcast in 4K.

Sony have released new firmware for their 4K TVs that will stop the occasional juddering seen when using Sky Q.

Over on the Football 365 forum (one of the biggest general chat threads around) there's a good Sky Q thread being run by some Sky employees.

The advice they're giving is to cancel your existing Sky and sign up as a new customer using your partner's details (can be same address and even bank account). Then you'll be eligible for the good 'new customer' Sky Q deals.

Also on that thread, the employees are offering discount codes to obtain the following deal:

12 month contract
Every Sky channel included (incl. Sky Sports & Sky Cinema)
HD package
1tb Sky Q box
Sky Box Sets
£35/mo with no initial fees.

Last edited:
I am tempted by it.

Presumably the Sky box needs to be on the same network as the boxes?

My Sky box is cabled in and its IP range is not one that is broadcast on the Wifi, I lock my Wifi networks down so they can only access the internet and not the rest of the network.

Over on the Football 365 forum (one of the biggest general chat threads around) there's a good Sky Q thread being run by some Sky employees.

The advice they're giving is to cancel your existing Sky and sign up as a new customer using your partner's details (can be same address and even bank account). Then you'll be eligible for the good 'new customer' Sky Q deals.

Also on that thread, the employees are offering discount codes to obtain the following deal:

12 month contract
Every Sky channel included (incl. Sky Sports & Sky Cinema)
HD package
1tb Sky Q box
Sky Box Sets
£35/mo with no initial fees.
Can you post a link?

I found a code, went so far in my wife's name, but it won't go any further as I'm already a sky customer. I've just cancelled it, but the guy says it won't let us register as a new customer for 12 months.
Not sure if this is true? I can understand it being the case for me, but not my wife? He implied it was based on the address, but others have managed to cancel and sign up as new customers in their partners names.
Do you have to wait until it actually cancels before signing up again?

Do Sky offer than option? If so I want it!

No, Sky Fibre is FTTC, it uses your normal copper wire from the cabinet to the property. It's the same service as everyone else, bar Virgin, buys off BT Openreach. You still have to have your phoneline as it's the same as your broadband line.

No, Sky Fibre is FTTC, it uses your normal copper wire from the cabinet to the property. It's the same service as everyone else, bar Virgin, buys off BT Openreach. You still have to have your phoneline as it's the same as your broadband line.

Yeah, I just called and checked with them.

Can you post a link?

http://forum.football365.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=262805

But you need to sign up (with a business email address) to view the thread.

The guy making the offer posted this:

"Right chaps, new deal is out:
Complete Bundle, incl. Sky Box Sets, Sky Cinema and Sky Sports with a 1TB Sky Q box -- on a 12 month deal -- £35 a month.
Remember, this is for new customers only (i.e. you don't currently have Sky). If you recently cancelled, it needs to be set up under your partners name.
email if interested: cman.f365@gmail.com
Thanks"

Another forum member wrote:
"Email me at turtlesballbag@yahoo.com if you'd like a code" (that email address though o_O)

Last edited:
Keep looking at Sky Q but as an existing customer I just don't wan to pay £199 set up fee! Also I get the F1 Chanel as part of my current package would moving to shy Q mean I will have the pay £18 a month for it?

I quit sky, and ended up getting a 1tb box for £20,and the Complete Package for 18m for £35/m. Add extra £12/m for a second box.

That includes all the sports channels.

Mind, I did go sans Sky for 1m and signed up under my wife as a new customer.....

I have SKY Q - not that great really, and the "touch" remote they offer is bloody awful.

Back