Skye, Harris and Lewis - The Highlands, EdinburghGary Set 01

May I add here Gary, and state publicly that you are a true gentleman. You have taken the time and effort to reply to each and every person who commented on your images. This makes you stand out not just as a superb photographer, but as a decent, and thoroughly 'good egg'.

Kudos to ya!

Cracking set there Gary I'd be proud of myself if I had managed those! :clap: If I had to choose a favorite it would be No.1 as it has that little something extra for me (y) :clap:

Awesome set Gary, 1 and 6 stand out as favorites for me, though enjoyed all of them!:clap:

Number 6 is best for me, the sheer warmth of the rockface is fantastic not to mention the water spray that is beautifully illuminated by the falling sun as it crashes over that prominent rock in the foreground. (y)

I'm not too fond of the first couple, strong reds just aren't my think, the rest are absolutely stunning though, particularly number 10.

Good work mate. You should be very proud.

Absolutely stunning #8 is my fav lovely reflection. All Ab Fab.

all great shots, any hints as to where you were for these? planning a trip up to the highlands later this year! and if you don't might a little critique..;

in the second one I think the graduation line - where it is just visible across the sand just behind the foreground rocks - is a little distracting, I can see what you're getting at but if you lift the filter a touch the graduation would have still been on the far rocks (where people are standing) and over that patch of water there too (to the right), and you'd have still got the silhouettes but with an even tone across the middle-ground sand. my 2p :)
4 with no pp? stunning! :)
can appreciate the change in intensity across the scene in 6, handled rather well especially catching the illumination of the spray on the rocks. is it me or is there quite high contrast on the rocks to the right of the frame ?
love the colours in no 9

can't wait to see more :)

all great shots, any hints as to where you were for these? planning a trip up to the highlands later this year! and if you don't might a little critique..;

in the second one I think the graduation line - where it is just visible across the sand just behind the foreground rocks - is a little distracting, I can see what you're getting at but if you lift the filter a touch the graduation would have still been on the far rocks (where people are standing) and over that patch of water there too (to the right), and you'd have still got the silhouettes but with an even tone across the middle-ground sand. my 2p :)
4 with no pp? stunning!
can appreciate the change in intensity across the scene in 6, handled rather well especially catching the illumination of the spray on the rocks. is it me or is there quite high contrast on the rocks to the right of the frame ?
love the colours in no 9

can't wait to see more

Thanks for the crit, will reply to your post in more detail later, on iphine...power cut! :)

Absolutely stunning #8 is my fav lovely reflection. All Ab Fab.

thanking you :)

set 01 ... im dying to see set 02!

thanks david, hopefully tonight!

Number 6 is best for me, the sheer warmth of the rockface is fantastic not to mention the water spray that is beautifully illuminated by the falling sun as it crashes over that prominent rock in the foreground.

I'm not too fond of the first couple, strong reds just aren't my think, the rest are absolutely stunning though, particularly number 10.

Good work mate. You should be very proud.

Thanks forvthe honest crit :)

Awesome set Gary, 1 and 6 stand out as favorites for me, though enjoyed all of them!

cheers :)

Cracking set there Gary I'd be proud of myself if I had managed those! :clap: If I had to choose a favorite it would be No.1 as it has that little something extra for me (y) :clap:

i'm chuffed wuth the set, glad you enjoyed :)

May I add here Gary, and state publicly that you are a true gentleman. You have taken the time and effort to reply to each and every person who commented on your images. This makes you stand out not just as a superb photographer, but as a decent, and thoroughly 'good egg'.

Kudos to ya!

lovely thing to sAy ta :)

Outstanding set Gary, I think I'll let my Jack Dykinga quote say it all :)

glAd you enjiyed les ta :D

Not fair.

I think there should definately have been an embargo on posting until the LFers got their slides back :D

Seriously nice stuff Gary, only a couple more shots to go through now then :LOL:

Going to have a trawl through everyone elses shots as well and sit nervously waiting for mine to come back.

I reckon 9 and 10 are the best of the bunch (y)

thanks chris glad you got home ok! I wNtrd to call to make sure but lost your number!!

I'm going to send it to him now :)

Cheers for the reminder!

Fantastic shots, btw gary!

ta :)

Erm please excuse the typos in last post, iphone keyboard is a pain in the rear!!!

I've stayed out of this watching the replies. I've had a bit too much wine with dinner and I'm off on holiday tomorrow so I'll post my heathen minority view and disappear for a while :) ..... I just wish these nice scenes you guys found didn't get so heavily filtered and or processed. I just don't get why all the funny colours or long exposure blurs are necessary for stunning views like these.

All stunning shots Gary , well worth the trip

Thanking you! :D

When do we get to see the people shots then? You diving etc?

Holy Cow, slow down :D That's SET 03 !

I've stayed out of this watching the replies. I've had a bit too much wine with dinner and I'm off on holiday tomorrow so I'll post my heathen minority view and disappear for a while :) ..... I just wish these nice scenes you guys found didn't get so heavily filtered and or processed. I just don't get why all the funny colours or long exposure blurs are necessary for stunning views like these.

I can see your point completely, and will gladly take it on the chin. I am glad you said filtered too, as it's 90% filters and 10% PP.

Not sure how best to respond. I guess it comes down to artistic license / personal taste. Some will love the completely natural scene with none of the "peculiarities" that playing with filters and PP induces, and others will enjoy that mad rush of colours and insane movement in the clouds and water. I think as long as we all don't like the same thing, and as long as we can offer these differing views without the toys flying from the pram at 300mph, then it's all good :)

Thanks for responding mate. My next set is deliberately more sedate and less "punch you in the balls" in terms of colours.

Gary.

Last edited:
I'll have to remember to look for them in 10 days time :)

Absolutely magnificent !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

an outstanding set gary.

excellent work all stunning photos (y)

Thanks Billy :)

an outstanding set gary.

Cheers Erding, thanks for looking :)

Fantastic set there Gary :) What a set of shots!
Ricky

Cheers Rickaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!!! :D

Would be proud to hang any of those on my wall ... :clap:

I may just have to pop up that way next year now ... :bang:

Well worth the visit! Even if just for a long weekend. Arrive friday, shoot all day Saturday and Sunday, home Monday. Just pray for good weather!

Gary.

Has to be number 8 all the way for me. A superb image that has a wonderful tranquil nature to it.

Absolutely stunning Gary, everyone is a cracker!

Dave

Totally agree :clap:

Absolutely stunning Gary, everyone is a cracker!

Dave

Lee system with Hitech Filters

0.6 ND Grad
0.9 ND Grad
1.2 ND Grad
1.2 ND Soft Edge Grad
1.2 Full Grad

(y)

Dude, every single one is a pearler! :clap: My favourite being numero 10.

Has to be number 8 all the way for me. A superb image that has a wonderful tranquil nature to it.

You guys are all awesome! :D Thanks for the bombardment of comments everyone, I think I am going to release a book on Thread Marketing :D

Seriously though, thanks - it astounds me how nice this place is.

Snapper, I will come back to you tomorrow with what I learned RE filters. It's all pretty basic stuff, but enough to set my world on fire. I was shocked.

Gary.

You guys are all awesome! :D Thanks for the bombardment of comments everyone, I think I am going to release a book on Thread Marketing :D

Seriously though, thanks - it astounds me how nice this place is.

Snapper, I will come back to you tomorrow with what I learned RE filters. It's all pretty basic stuff, but enough to set my world on fire. I was shocked.

Gary.

Thanks Gary think I might be doing things right so far but just wanted to check to see if there is anything else new to learn ;)

The Filters

OK, the long and short of it, Alexisonfire helped drive home something I should have probably known, but didn't. I was with him and extremely surprised at his "In Camera" shots, they do resemble very accurately his finished articles. I felt in order to get something similar, would require PP trickery and what not...

However, he simply explained - if there are even slight colours in the sky, using an ND filter, and slowing that exposure right down, would intensify said colours. Sounds simple, but it was something I was not aware of.

At one point we did a test. I had 6 stops of grad on the sky, he had 5 stops of grad on the sky, and a 3 stop ND. The vast difference in colours was absolutely incredible.

To cut a long story short, it was not long before I had set my custom white balance (another absolutely mind blowingly simple task, with earth shattering results!), and the 10 stop! I was getting photos that I could not have dreamed of within minutes.

Don't ask me about the science, I haven't a clue how it works. Woodsy tried to explain it to me, something to do with emulsion on a wall, one coat = no ND's, several coats = ND's (I think!) :). Yes, he lost me :D

Gary.
Gary.

Nos. 6 and 8 for me. That light is amazing and well worth the early starts.

May have to take a trip up there soon

Give us a shout if you fancy catching up!

Thanks Gary think I might be doing things right so far but just wanted to check to see if there is anything else new to learn ;)

Hope the post above is helpful, it sounds like it relatively well known - it was news to me thogh :D

Gary.

Hope the post above is helpful, it sounds like it relatively well known - it was news to me thogh :D

Gary.

Thanks for the info and it is what I do at the moment but would like some more info on the white balance, is this set for all landscape shots or do you change the white balance per shot. If you like we can make another thread to keep this one clean and keep all Q&A's in there as this might help others :)

Thanks for the info and it is what I do at the moment but would like some more info on the white balance, is this set for all landscape shots or do you change the white balance per shot. If you like we can make another thread to keep this one clean and keep all Q&A's in there as this might help others :)

I was planning to make a thread at some point, but very quickly...the white balance I would have an Auto mostly, OR I would choose sunlight / cloudy etc, depending on conditions. However, when the conditions allowed for it, for example - strong ambient light from the sun at 1am, maybe 2am, due to the "unnatural" feel of the light, I thought it OK to tweak it all the way from a nice purple to a deep red. The reality is, the light falls along those lines anyway - you have to see a "sunlit" beach at 2am to believe it.

It was an awesome trip and I learned so much, cannot wait to get some more landscape action :D

Gary.

Back