Skye, Harris and Lewis - The Highlands, EdinburghGary Set 01

One day I will meet up with you guys, I love your work. Very inspiring thread and, in general, photos from everyone on this trip. :)

One day I will meet up with you guys, I love your work. Very inspiring thread and, in general, photos from everyone on this trip. :)

Thank would be awesome Ian - have you been up this way before? The scenery is breathtaking just north of Glasgow!!

Gary.

The Filters

OK, the long and short of it, Alexisonfire helped drive home something I should have probably known, but didn't. I was with him and extremely surprised at his "In Camera" shots, they do resemble very accurately his finished articles. I felt in order to get something similar, would require PP trickery and what not...

However, he simply explained - if there are even slight colours in the sky, using an ND filter, and slowing that exposure right down, would intensify said colours. Sounds simple, but it was something I was not aware of.

At one point we did a test. I had 6 stops of grad on the sky, he had 5 stops of grad on the sky, and a 3 stop ND. The vast difference in colours was absolutely incredible.

To cut a long story short, it was not long before I had set my custom white balance (another absolutely mind blowingly simple task, with earth shattering results!), and the 10 stop! I was getting photos that I could not have dreamed of within minutes.

Don't ask me about the science, I haven't a clue how it works. Woodsy tried to explain it to me, something to do with emulsion on a wall, one coat = no ND's, several coats = ND's (I think!) :). Yes, he lost me :D

Gary.
Gary.

Slight under exposure to produce richer colours was done all the time by the film photographers. Take a look at the work of "Galen Rowell" to see wonderfully rich velvia exposures. It's a method frowned upon today because it is not employing the "expose to the right" supposed rule and therefore some exposure detail is lost.

It's the difference between shooting to get as much exposure detail as possible for digital manipulation afterwards and "getting it right in camera" with little to nothing to do as regards to exposure in PP afterwards. It's something I did a lot of during my "au naturel" period and it taught me quiet a bit about exposure. I still believe you can produce better results this way that cannot be fully emulated in PP after exposing for highlight detail. To me it produces deeper richer colours that somehow seem more natural. Something I tried to explain while defending my reasons for going "au naturel".

So which choice to make? Expose this way getting it right in camera or "expose the the right" the get every ounce of exposure detail for PP later?
I know which one I chose in the end and I guessing it the same one your going to go for too Gary ;)

fantastic set, no.1 is the best of the bunch, i'd stick that on my wall :)

Slight under exposure to produce richer colours was done all the time by the film photographers. Take a look at the work of "Galen Rowell" to see wonderfully rich velvia exposures. It's a method frowned upon today because it is not employing the "expose to the right" supposed rule and therefore some exposure detail is lost.

It's the difference between shooting to get as much exposure detail as possible for digital manipulation afterwards and "getting it right in camera" with little to nothing to do as regards to exposure in PP afterwards. It's something I did a lot of during my "au naturel" period and it taught me quiet a bit about exposure. I still believe you can produce better results this way that cannot be fully emulated in PP after exposing for highlight detail. To me it produces deeper richer colours that somehow seem more natural. Something I tried to explain while defending my reasons for going "au naturel".

So which choice to make? Expose this way getting it right in camera or "expose the the right" the get every ounce of exposure detail for PP later?
I know which one I chose in the end and I guessing it the same one your going to go for too Gary ;)

I am gonna need to read your post a few times to get my head around it :D Ultimately, I would want to do whatever is required in order to get the best finished article. There is a limit though, I don't want to have to spend 3 hours per photo on PP :)

Gary.

fantastic set, no.1 is the best of the bunch, i'd stick that on my wall :)

Thanks,

It's one of my fave pics - it is OTT in almost every way, its easy to dislike. Still the fact that I like it at all surprises me :D I normally see my work as a bit shoddy, but this photo pushes my button.

I want all photos to be at this level.

Gary.

Thank would be awesome Ian - have you been up this way before? The scenery is breathtaking just north of Glasgow!!

Gary.

I've been up to Scotland quite a few times (Edinburgh, Inverness, Mull, Pitlochry etc) although never with a camera unfortunately. I'm treading water life-wise at the moment as I don't have a job, but as soon as I sort that I may well aim for just north of Glasgow. Standing on the shore by Loch Ness Youth Hostel at 6am on a winter day will be hard to beat though. :)

I've been up to Scotland quite a few times (Edinburgh, Inverness, Mull, Pitlochry etc) although never with a camera unfortunately. I'm treading water life-wise at the moment as I don't have a job, but as soon as I sort that I may well aim for just north of Glasgow. Standing on the shore by Loch Ness Youth Hostel at 6am on a winter day will be hard to beat though. :)

No it won't :D

The minute you set eyes on the West Highlands, with a camera in hand, you will feel all giddy. Like a kid at xmas, X 1,000 !!!!

It is absolutely breathtaking, it is completely and utterly awe inspiring.

Let us know when you fancy a visit, will catch up with you :)

Gary.

No it won't :D

The minute you set eyes on the West Highlands, with a camera in hand, you will feel all giddy. Like a kid at xmas, X 1,000 !!!!

It is absolutely breathtaking, it is completely and utterly awe inspiring.

Let us know when you fancy a visit, will catch up with you :)

Gary.

Haha, I hope you're right! I'll give you a shout if I'm ever up that way. I'm hoping to get to the lakes for the August meet, but don't want to commit to anything as things stand.

Cracking set of photos anyway pal, will hopefully be in touch soon.

Haha, I hope you're right! I'll give you a shout if I'm ever up that way. I'm hoping to get to the lakes for the August meet, but don't want to commit to anything as things stand.

Cracking set of photos anyway pal, will hopefully be in touch soon.

Thanks for the kind words. Hopefully see you in the lakes, should be a blast!

Gary.

Theses are fantastic shots and would have loved to come along and learnt something new, feels I've got to as far I can go with learning on my own with landscape and would love to learn something new out in the field.

Theses are fantastic shots and would have loved to come along and learnt something new, feels I've got to as far I can go with learning on my own with landscape and would love to learn something new out in the field.

You know what you need to do then - hit the road, hit Scotland, and give us a shout :)

Gary.

Well I might book a trip up soon will have to let me know when you are free (y)

I'm always free :D As long as plenty of notice. I have a few holidays coming up, and some weekends I get my son. Otherwise, I have nothing to do.

Gary.

Can't say anything other than that they're all stunning!

Gary,
These are awesome, I have just learnt so much from this thread which will hopefully improve my landscape shots, when I get a chance to get out. Thanks for posting the tips you got on your trip.

Gary,
These are awesome, I have just learnt so much from this thread which will hopefully improve my landscape shots, when I get a chance to get out. Thanks for posting the tips you got on your trip.

It's all pretty easy - everything other than composition and waiting on the best light that is. If you can nail composition, and have enough patience to only shoot in the right conditions, you will get a lot of winners.

Gary.

WOW Gary, Ive only just seen these! Absolutely stunning in every way. I adore the one with the reflection in the water. As said before... I can just imagine them printed big and framed and hung round a gallery wall. :woot: (y)

WOW Gary, Ive only just seen these! Absolutely stunning in every way. I adore the one with the reflection in the water. As said before... I can just imagine them printed big and framed and hung round a gallery wall. :woot: (y)

Awww Janice thank you :D Lovely thing to say.

Can I just say on an unrelated note - your dog, in your avatar looks absolutely stunning! I wanna see big! :D

Basil and Baxter say "woof!!" :)

Gary.

Gary, just wondered what you're doing with these shots - are you submitting them to Alamy or other picture libraries? If not you certainly should be.

Gary, just wondered what you're doing with these shots - are you submitting them to Alamy or other picture libraries? If not you certainly should be.

Nothing at the moment, working on a wee plan but its proving difficult and potentially costly!! :)

I need many more of an equal standard though first.

Gary.

Holy cow - these are amazing!

I'm trying desperately to think of something more constructive to say but I honestly think they are all brilliant :clap::clap::clap:

I've never really had much interest in the idea of shooting landscapes myself but you may just have inspired me. Not sure I've got the patience though - and obviously I'd have a lot of learning to do.

Have been away and just caught up with this thread......117 comments! I'm guessing that rule number 1 of that book you are writing about thread marketing is 'always ensure that you write at least 60% of the posts' :) Legendary effort responding to them all Gary - Qudos.

Thanks for the pointers re filters. I have always relied on PP alone but am looking at getting a set of Lee's so Looking forward to putting some of your pointers into action.

#2 for me - the composition is awesome, but I would be interested to see a version without the added red tint.

congrats on a fine set

These are surely award-winning images. I would vote for them all! Simply stunning.

Holy cow - these are amazing!

I'm trying desperately to think of something more constructive to say but I honestly think they are all brilliant :clap::clap::clap:

I've never really had much interest in the idea of shooting landscapes myself but you may just have inspired me. Not sure I've got the patience though - and obviously I'd have a lot of learning to do.

It's a piece of cake I promise. If I can get a half decent shot, any one of us on the forum can. It is extremely simple. Wait for good light, get the settings right, and try and nail a composition. I normally always fail on the final bit!!! :) Thanks for the kind words though! :D

Have been away and just caught up with this thread......117 comments! I'm guessing that rule number 1 of that book you are writing about thread marketing is 'always ensure that you write at least 60% of the posts' :) Legendary effort responding to them all Gary - Qudos.

Thanks for the pointers re filters. I have always relied on PP alone but am looking at getting a set of Lee's so Looking forward to putting some of your pointers into action.

#2 for me - the composition is awesome, but I would be interested to see a version without the added red tint.

congrats on a fine set

Yup, always say thanks. Good manners and if you ackowledge the time and effort people put into replying, perhaps they will appreciate that and check out your threads in future. Reckon I can turn this into a 200 replies monster thread? :D

With regards to the red tint, I have a few I want to reprocess with a more natural emphasis. Will do when bored :)

These are surely award-winning images. I would vote for them all! Simply stunning.

I dunno about award winning :) Just good light, and fantastic scenery.

Gary.

Back