Skylum Launches Luminar Neo: New Features and a Big Speed Boost

I’ve given it a few goes over the last couple of days.

The results are pretty amazing, my only gripe is that I feel the sliders could do with making a bit less sensitive.

I’ve given it a few goes over the last couple of days.

The results are pretty amazing, my only gripe is that I feel the sliders could do with making a bit less sensitive.

They're pretty short sliders. In On1 Photo Raw, the editing panel on the right-hand side is resizeable, so you can just drag it out to the left and get LONG sliders. Skylum might consider doing something similar if we ask them nicely.

I’ve had it for nearly 2 weeks now(early bird), and have enjoyed using it. It’s by no means the finished article though as there are some features missing currently that will be included in the first free updates, and there are some functions that could do with a little tweak, but I guess(hope) that this will all be addressed soon enough.

One thing Neo appears to lack is a "Reset All" button, which restores your image to its original, unedited state.

Under "Edits" I found a button that says "Discard Edits" which appears to reset everything.

Under "Edits" I found a button that says "Discard Edits" which appears to reset everything.

How on earth did I miss that? Right at the bottom of the stack! :D

Edit: It just seems to turn off each edit in the stack without deleting them. If you click on one, it comes alive again. But if you go back into Tools and use one, those disabled edits all disappear, leaving only the new one. It seems strange, but I suppose it gives you the chance to undo what you just undid.

Last edited:
It's worth noting Skylum is based in Kyiv so updates/support may well be slow/non existent for some time.

Hi, I already own On1 Photo Raw 2022, find it lags even after I upgraded my CPU. also have Topaz products including the Topaz Mask AI and to top it of Affinity Photo so my question is to those who have maybe something along similar lines as far as software goes, "What can this Skylum Neo do better than they can"?
Tried to find an option for a free trial but could only see you have to pay and then request a refund if you don't want to keep it and that in itself makes me warry of a company.
Thanks, Russ.

Hi, I already own On1 Photo Raw 2022, find it lags even after I upgraded my CPU. also have Topaz products including the Topaz Mask AI and to top it of Affinity Photo so my question is to those who have maybe something along similar lines as far as software goes, "What can this Skylum Neo do better than they can"?
Tried to find an option for a free trial but could only see you have to pay and then request a refund if you don't want to keep it and that in itself makes me warry of a company.
Thanks, Russ.
You can do all and better in Photoshop if you know what you are doing. These are just quick and easy sliders with fancy names. There is a lot of gimmick like terrible sky replacement packs or worse these fake looking birds, etc just encouraging folk to create nonsensical manipulations

Thanks, Russ.
I use similar products to you but not Topaz Mask. Plus I have Skylum Neo whuch I bought out of curiosity. For masking I use Affinity Photo, which for my use, does everything that PS can do without the monthly rental charge.
To dismiss sky replacement as "terrible" is simply churlish and the other options are there if you want to use them, you don't have to use them if you don't want to.
As for whether Neo is "better" than some of the other options, I'd be more inclined to say it's "different" and some of the effects are quite impressive, and easy to apply. The addition of masking in the latest edition makes it even more useful. I would say it's largely a matter of approach, and that Neo is simply different in it's approach to adjustments. The thing I find slightly annoying is that I've not found a way of using Neo as a plug-in for Affinty Photo.
Why should it be necessary that adjusting an image is difficult? I find it difficult enough to capture a decent image to process anyway, so why make life even more difficult?
For my useage I find that On1 handles the majority of my images, and I seldom need to resort to alternative software, but when I do it's nice to have a choice.

Last edited:
I use similar products to you but not Topaz Mask. Plus I have Skylum Neo whuch I bought out of curiosity. For masking I use Affinity Photo, which for my use, does everything that PS can do without the monthly rental charge.
To dismiss sky replacement as "terrible" is simply churlish and the other options are there if you want to use them, you don't have to use them if you don't want to.
As for whether Neo is "better" than some of the other options, I'd be more inclined to say it's "different" and some of the effects are quite impressive, and easy to apply. The addition of masking in the latest edition makes it even more useful. I would say it's largely a matter of approach, and that Neo is simply different in it's approach to adjustments. The thing I find slightly annoying is that I've not found a way of using Neo as a plug-in for Affinty Photo.
Why should it be necessary that adjusting an image is difficult? I find it difficult enough to capture a decent image to process anyway, so why make life even more difficult?
For my useage I find that On1 handles the majority of my images, and I seldom need to resort to alternative software, but when I do it's nice to have a choice.
Thankyou for your perspective, I have Affinity but for me it does lack the DAM that is why I kept hold of Lightroom 6 perpetual but now with the switch to Sony Lightroom cannot open the A7riv files and need to go round the house with Adobe converter, as I pointed out in the original post I find On1 vary laggy at times. Since posting I have become aware that there is a free version of Capture One for Sony so will be looking at that when I get a chance. Russ

Thankyou for your perspective, I have Affinity but for me it does lack the DAM that is why I kept hold of Lightroom 6 perpetual but now with the switch to Sony Lightroom cannot open the A7riv files and need to go round the house with Adobe converter, as I pointed out in the original post I find On1 vary laggy at times. Since posting I have become aware that there is a free version of Capture One for Sony so will be looking at that when I get a chance. Russ
Not certain what you mean when you say On1 is "laggy"?
Do you mean in operation or startup?
I find On1 2022 a bit slow at launching, but once running there are no delays in operation and every command is executed instantly.
Slow running seems to be an allegation against lots of programs, including Lightroom.
I've never experienced slow running with any of my software, either with Windows7 or now with Windows10.
My system is self built and I used an Intel i7 for Windows7 and an AMD3800 for Windows10, both with 16GB RAM.
The slow running allegations seem to be independent of the processor type or the size of RAM available.
I havent used Lightroom for years, although the image management was one of it's stronger points. Image management with On1 2022 is much better than earlier editions but it still seems to be something that On1 are playing with. There's supposed to be an updated version of On1 2022 released in June, so it will be interesting to see if they've revised the image management aspect of the program, something I believe to be on their "To Do" list.
It may be OK to use C1 for one camera, but I use several different brands and it's more convenient to use a common developer program for all of them, I find things are more convenient that way.

Last edited:
I find On1 2022 a bit slow at launching, but once running there are no delays in operation and every command is executed instantly.
Slow running seems to be an allegation against lots of programs, including Lightroom.
I've never experienced slow running with any of my software, either with Windows7 or now with Windows10.
My system is self built and I used an Intel i7 for Windows7 and an AMD3800 for Windows10, both with 16GB RAM.
The slow running allegations seem to be independent of the processor type or the size of RAM available.
I havent used Lightroom for years, although the image management was one of it's stronger points. Image management with On1 2022 is much better than earlier editions but it still seems to be something that On1 are playing with. There's supposed to be an updated version of On1 2022 released in June, so it will be interesting to see if they've revised the image management aspect of the program, something I believe to be on their "To Do" list.
It may be OK to use C1 for one camera, but I use several different brands and it's more convenient to use a common developer program for all of them, I find things are more convenient that way.
When going from Browse to Develope can take upto 30 seconds or more to render an image even after installing a Ryzen 5 and 32gb ram.

When going from Browse to Develope can take upto 30 seconds or more to render an image even after installing a Ryzen 5 and 32gb ram.
I'd say the reverse.
If I'm in develop and I go to "Browse" it takes quite a while for the catalog to load, just like when it starts from cold.
The actual operation of the program is instantaneous when running develop commands.

I jut ran a test and from "Browse" to "Edit" is pretty well instantaneous (<1/2 second) Whereas from"Edit" back to "Browse" I have to wait for the catalog to load, which takes between 8 and 10 seconds.

Back