Slide film - strips or mounted?

Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
I've got a roll of Agfa Precisa to shoot (my first ever roll of slide film!), with which I'm hoping to photograph some colourful autumn scenes. Is it best to get the results as strips (which I can scan on my V550), or mounted slides (which I can also scan on my V550)? Which of the two options will scan better, or is there no notable difference?

I don't plan on projecting the slides (given I have no projector or screen).

Thanks.

All my 35mm and 6x7 cm are mounted in glass Gepe frames.
https://www.gepe.com/website/index.asp

I took that way so to frame only the keepers and save room and
better protect and archive them.

For sure, you could scan the keepers still on strip and frame later.

I don't know about your scanner but I find it's easier and quicker to scan strips rather than individually mounted slides in either of mine, plus it's a lot more convenient to store strips because they can go into the same storage sheets/folder as my negatives.

Its all about scanning :(

My scanner does 4 mounted slides in one go, or 6 on a strip, so its quicker to scan strips.
If you aren't going to project, don't seem much point in going to the faff or expense of getting them mounted, chances are the film would return from dev cut in to 6 frames of 6 anyway.
I like mounted slides, kodachrome always came back mounted but 35mm is a bit piddly, never had 6x6 mounted.

You lose a bit of frame real estate when you mount them. I've not had slides mounted since I got a scanner, for all the reasons above. Also mounting costs more, and if you're not going to project, there's no real advantage.

Snip:
You lose a bit of frame real estate when you mount them.

I've found I can lose a bit of frame real estate scanning from a strip of negs or transparencies with a flatbed type scanner anyway. If it's a tight crop (or well framed, as I prefer to call it!) I have to turn off the 'auto' settings and preview scan the full strip and then select the image cropping manually to match the film holder edges. And yes, that does slow things down! :(

Snip:

I've found I can lose a bit of frame real estate scanning from a strip of negs or transparencies with a flatbed type scanner anyway. If it's a tight crop (or well framed, as I prefer to call it!) I have to turn off the 'auto' settings and preview scan the full strip and then select the image cropping manually to match the film holder edges. And yes, that does slow things down! :(

That's what I do all the time now - the default settings of Epson Scan crop a noticeable slice from the edge of the negatives, so I've switched the setting off and manually select the area instead.

Snip:

I think the Plustek does that a bit better. I only occasionally have to adjust the crop on mine, often the first frame of a strip then the rest are OK.

Back