Slimboy Fat's 52 - Week 2

Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
Right, off out now to try and start this.
Good luck everyone. (y)

Last edited:
Best of luck with it, should be an interesting adventure.

Right, away we go then. :D

Already struggling on the first week isn't a good sign, I guess. But I went out this afternoon to get something on the theme.

Looking back at the shot I could of caught the curved arches underneath from a better angle but they're there. The colours weren't great but managed to get a bit more contrast into the mono version. Hope it works.

I'm sure I'll warm up and get some more inspiration for the next one, just wanted to at least get something for this week and not have to play catchup after Week 1.

4257697286_38dd715800_o.jpg

Give it to me straight, every week, because I really want to improve this year and will always take on board some constructive criticism. (y)

I like it, the composition works well. There's plenty of curves in there, and all sorts of perspectives on them too.

I like the shot and the conversion to B&W.

Good luck with the rest of your 52...... Hope you complete it.!

Nice composition but just lacking a little bit of punch for me. Maybe boost that contrast a little more.

Thanks for the comments everyone (y)

Nice composition but just lacking a little bit of punch for me. Maybe boost that contrast a little more.

Cheers. I'll try upping the contrast when I get home from work today.

Great shot, I agree about your comment on the angle as the only thing for me is the curved archers don't stand out enough as my eyes are drawn along the railings above them.

(y)

Hi Stuart,

That's a great start to your project. I really like this shot and the mono conversion has worked well with it (y)
The angle looks good to me for the image, although as you say maybe a slightly different angle would have emphasised the curves a bit more. I think that you could afford to crop just a little off the top to draw a bit more attention to the curves if you wanted to though.

Hi Stuart - glad to see you in the 52 madhouse! :wave:

I like this - but I hope you were on dry land - it looks pretty cold. :) The curves of the arches work well and in fact so do the curvy lamps.

The gentle contrast suggests a cold, grey wintery day to me, but I'm amazed how calm the sea is.

I'll look forward to following your thread through the year. :)

Jean

Hey Stuart,

I think you have started strongly with your 52 Journey, I like the composition of your Image. It would have been interesting to see the picture taken from maybe 10 feet to the right to offer up a differnt view.

I will check on your progress throught the year.

Good Luck

Andy

Hey Stu,

I really like this image, the railing along the top is a really good lead in line and I really like all of the arches from different angle! Got curves spot on! Look forward to seeing the next images :D

Louise

Really must try and get these done earlier in the week!:D

Right, this week is an older shot but I've been sorting out another 3 shots to enter into my very first competition at camera club next week, so it's been a bit manic.

Anyway, gone for a classic and coupled it with one of my first attempts at HDR, so I'm fully prepared for a mix of "love it" and "hate it" comments about the processing.;)

4277653924_06dfa974d4_o.jpg

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed---and gazed---but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

William Wordsworth

like it - thought of that idea as well, but cr4p skies this way lately!!!

for my week 1 was opportnistic, week 2 awful... mixed feelings about what this Sunday is coing to throw up!

I'm not a huge fan of hdr, but for some reason, this works well for me. I always imagine Wordsworth wandering over the Yorkshire Dales of Pennines, but I suppose there's no reason why he shouldn't wander in Dorest (?).

Did you work with 3 exposures or hdr one shot? Anyway, well done on your first attempt - and for me it's a :)

Jean

Thanks for the comments everyone. :D

Jean, it was 3 shots bracketed and then used Photomatix.

To be honest, I'm kind of on the fence about HDR now anyway, and I haven't really done any since the initial excitement died down for me.;)

Going to try and work on more basic things like composition and lighting, and very occasionally mess around with some of these techniques.

Hi, I like the composition but I'm not keen on the processing I'm afraid. It's good to experiment though :)

First (wk 1) I like but could be more contrasty? Number 2 is excellent but the skiy's a bit dull when looked at with the ground below - I realise you got fluffy clouds and a nasty grey misty-type thing there as weel but maybe try to bring out the blue a little more? Excellent picture though and I really do like the shot - postcard stuff there

Arthur

The picture works well with the Poem, personally I think the HDR is a bit too strong.

Well done for giving HDR a go, Lots of folks hate it (not me). For me this image is the classic beginners HDR shot, it's too garish. Try the 'smoothing' to the opposite side in Photomatix. These sort of landscape HDR shorts suit a more natural look, so that you can reveal some of the shadow details. Anyway that's only my opinion, keep at it mate ;)

Just want to add, love your curves shot, super composition and processing :)

Last edited:
Two good images to start with Stuart. 1 is a good strong composition and works well in B&W. 2 is bordering on Hmmm but overall I like it, very moody sky. Wish it was daffodil time of the year.....Mick

Ok, so I wasn't keen on week 2, but I'd have still liked to have seen you continue further. :(

Back