Small Wind turbine in domestic gardens?

Edit My Images
No
Seeing as it is quite windy today it struck me, not for the first time, that what about small wind turbines......

To charge:-
Exterior lights
WIldlife cameras
weather monitoring stations
etc

combined with a small solar panel set, that would likely provide enough power to charge the batteries/power the above low power demand devices.

Has anyone got such a small wind turbine in their garden?

Experience tells me they don't work well down among buildings, the wind is too fickle and changes direction a lot.
That's why they put the big ones on hill tops )

The smaller ones aren't that quiet IME. You can hear them humming when you're trying to get some kip on a boat among others moored up. As Hugh says, they need to be up fairly high and my guess would be that the noise would annoy either you or your neighbours. Not sure what the planners think of them these days.
I'd go more down the solar route - Oxford do small panels to trickle charge 12V car/bike batteries.

Many thanks all for the insights, much appreciated and I do conclude that a wind charger would not be suitable in residential area.

I think it depends on where you live. Guy in the next street to us has one and provides enough power to keep a little tube heater ( the ones used in green houses) going

I asked as an alternative to solar panels- so a biggish helix type drive unit- need to be 50 yards from nearest neighbouring building, garden not big enough!

Back