Critique Snow in Glencoe

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Was up there a couple of weeks back. I couldn't make it up the Saturday when the sunrise was really colourful but hoped for the same on the Sunday. It wasn't to be. At least it gave me a chance to try my new 20mm F1.8 out. Prefer it already to the 16-35 which I may well end up selling.

I prefer this spot in the summer when the sun lights up the peaks but with nowhere else giving reflections and no sunlight to speak off it will have to do

_DSC1509 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Does it work better as a mono I wonder?

_DSC1509 (1) by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

For reference sake here is what its like in the summer.

_DSC0498 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

The colour one for me. I like how the warm colours in the stones under the water contrast with the cold feel of the hills and the sky.

Dave

The mono for me. It looks like a different place altogether when compared to summer! Anyway, The colour winter version is almost a mono anyway. The reflection in the colour, given the mono nature of it, doesn’t look as ‘nice’ to me, whereas in the mono it all sits together better. Which I see above is a different opinion to David! Ha.

Very nice indeed, the mono takes my vote ;)

Nice!!

It's a difficult choice but the 1st takes it for me but I do love the light on the Buachaille in the thrid image. Love the reflections too but I don't think they'll quite be spot on enough for you Steve, but I'd still take them.

Trying to figure out this spot, is the bothy over to the left?

Nice!!

It's a difficult choice but the 1st takes it for me but I do love the light on the Buachaille in the thrid image. Love the reflections too but I don't think they'll quite be spot on enough for you Steve, but I'd still take them.

They're not but it's a river. A long exp would smooth them but would introduced blurred grasses as they move during the exposure and that to be is worse

Trying to figure out this spot, is the bothy over to the left?

Yes, it is easy to find. Take wellies.

Black and white definitely, with a muted scene like this it just works. Have you got any with a little more breathing room? The framing is very tight and wonder if extra space on all sides would be more pleasing

Black and white definitely, with a muted scene like this it just works. Have you got any with a little more breathing room? The framing is very tight and wonder if extra space on all sides would be more pleasing

I cropped it taking just the slightly softer extreme edges off (something I almost always do) and felt it was fine as didn’t want too much sky/water

That mono shot is very nice Steve and my preference

That mono shot is very nice Steve and my preference

Can't believe I am saying this but the black and white is my favourite too. Really suits the image.

I do think the first one, (for some reason more than the second) would really benefit from some additional contrast applied locally to just the reflection for some reason, maybe to make up for the lack of light you are working with in the summer shot.

Can't believe I am saying this but the black and white is my favourite too. Really suits the image.

I do think the first one, (for some reason more than the second) would really benefit from some additional contrast applied locally to just the reflection for some reason, maybe to make up for the lack of light you are working with in the summer shot.

Probably, the sun will never really hit this in the winter months. I prefer the summer shot, the lovely green grasses, warm tones, even the clouds - just more me. I rate it as one of my best of the year actually. The other two, not so much.

Back