So iPad 2 or 3....

Name
thomas
Edit My Images
Yes
With the iPad 2 so cheap... Is the iPad 3 really worth the upgrade? With the 2 you can jailbreak and tween away but the 3 will of course make images so much better to view, hum answere on a postcard!

You can jailbreak all iPads, it's the software, not the hardware.

You just need I answer the question. Is that screen worth the extra?

I'm hopefully getting mine on Tuesday providing they have stock. Apparently the back orders are not huge so I'm hoping to get what I want. I was going to go for the iPad2 16gb but feel 16gb is going to be a bit tight on the memory so I think it's going to be the iPad 3 with 32gb. I was playing with my son's iPad 2 and it is superb so which ever you get it will be brilliant!

If the screen is like comparing the iPhone 3 to the iPhone 4 then the new iPad easy.

You can jailbreak all iPads, it's the software, not the hardware.

You just need I answer the question. Is that screen worth the extra?

The jailbreaks are hardware specific. It took them a while to break the A5 chip in the iPad2/iPhone4s as it has encryption built into the chip.

The new iPad uses the A5X chip, I'm not sure if the JB's have caught up yet. We will find out in the next few days!!

Upgarding from an ipad 1, the screen and iphoto sealed the deal for me. unfortunately I have to sit at work all day before I can play with it. :thumbsdown:

That what I thinking.... Question is how good is I photo on it going to be? when jailbreaks works it will be most certainly worth the upgrade!

Im just setting my ipad3 up now so ill let you know tonight after work how good it is.

im upgrading from the iPad1 32gb but only ever filled about 16gb anyway, so will be one hell of an upgrade.

i went for the 16gb 4g model to run a virtual terminal on it :D

will be very interested to know what people think of it as an editing tool ! ive ordered one from argos but im not 100% sure if its worth the money...

I was more excited about the iPhoto app until I learned there is no synch with desktop iPhoto nor aperture. As such I am not convinced it works well in my overall workflow to keep a single source. It would have been great if you could continue where you left it on the iPad non destructively. Ah well perhaps the next version.

If the screen is like comparing the iPhone 3 to the iPhone 4 then the new iPad easy.

This.

I pre-ordered as soon as I saw the words "retina display" in the features. I'm expecting mine to delivered today - can't wait! I've been refreshing the tracking page on the courier's site all morning in anticipation.

Im a compleet noob to these and so badly want one! I play with a friends iPad2 when im round there and like that, but dont know if I should get a 2 or a 3... :( :LOL:

I'll be getting a tablet in May just before I leave Dubai, but as an anti Apple person I'll be getting a Samsung. Just don't know which yet as they keep producing new models in different sizes.

Out of interest though does the ipad allow you to add extra memory, e.g., microSD card?

I'll be getting a tablet in May just before I leave Dubai, but as an anti Apple person I'll be getting a Samsung. Just don't know which yet as they keep producing new models in different sizes.

Out of interest though does the ipad allow you to add extra memory, e.g., microSD card?

Nope.

What are the real benefits of jail breaking your iPhone/iPad ? I currently have an iPad 2 and the iPhone 4s and thinking about getting them done but would like to know the following...

1) is it worth it
2) good and bad points
3) best way to get it done

What are the real benefits of jail breaking your iPhone/iPad ? I currently have an iPad 2 and the iPhone 4s and thinking about getting them done but would like to know the following...

1) is it worth it
2) good and bad points

i've done it and no it wasnt worth it.

The pain of not ebing able to update to the newer OS's each time they are released until a jailbrake is released and the faff of going through doing the jailbrake is a PITA.

the freedom just means that you can install another set of rubbish apps with the odd gem. Not worth it in my opinion

Ruffy said:

1) is it worth it
2) good and bad points

I did it with my iPhone 4. No it wasn't worth it. For me there was too much that I could customise, I like what Apple does and I realised I don't really want to mess with it. I removed the jailbreak the same day.
Good points are that you can customise it and have a lot more freedom with what you have on your phone.
Bad points, drains the battery (depends what apps you have but cydia has been said to have some effect on battery life), if anything goes wrong Apple won't touch it (unless you can remove the jailbreak).
You can get two different types of jailbreaks, Tethered and untethered. I followed instructions from a guy I followed on YouTube, i can't remember his name though but if it comes back to me, I'll include a link.

After I started watching him, I realised I don't use my iPhone to the full potential as it is so there was no point in furthering what it could do because i wouldn't take advantage of it. I can see the attraction of jail breaking but I never used my iPhone enough anyway.

And just to stay on topic. I have an iPad 2, I won't be upgrading, apart from the better screen, there isn't anything that makes me want to upgrade. But if I didn't have an iPad I would go for the 3 :)

the only reason for the jailbrake is there are quite a few good apps that are only for the jailbrake humm i cant decide if i should get one or not... and if so argos has one in stock i can have now or i can wait and get one with a two year warranty from john lewis

I did it with my iPhone 4. No it wasn't worth it. For me there was too much that I could customise, I like what Apple does and I realised I don't really want to mess with it.

I agree with this. I can see why some people choose to Jailbreak them, but for me, I'm happy with the phones/iPads the way they are. I'm not a tinkerer, I just want it to work. Some people do like tinkering and customising and all that, so Jailbreaking is for them.

Depends on which type of person you are.

My iPad 3 just arrived and the retina display is just... beautiful.

well made my mind up - just had a play with one and yes the screen is nice BUT there is NO DIFFERENCE is speed between the 3 and the 2, so the 'upgrade' in price is just for the bigger battery and nice screen... so ive just bought an ipad 2....

Been playing round with mine most of the evening. Screen is incredible, but unfortunately most websites look blocky, think the TP logo needs to be updated ;)

Loving my iPad 3 after resisting the tablet route for so long. Loving the ease of use and not having to fire up the mac to check emails. I am one happy customer.

I'm really impressed with the battery life on the new iPad - been using it solidly for the last four and a half hours and only used 30% of the battery.

The jailbreaks are hardware specific. It took them a while to break the A5 chip in the iPad2/iPhone4s as it has encryption built into the chip.

The new iPad uses the A5X chip, I'm not sure if the JB's have caught up yet. We will find out in the next few days!!

iPad 3rd generation jailbreak has been available from yesterday.

Apple hasn't tempted me to upgrade from my ipad2. I can't fault the screen on the 2 and it does everything I need. When I display photos I normally output to a hd tv, and the photos look stunning on there.... Battery life of the 2 is amazing and cannot fault it.

Haven't yet turned off or rebooted my iPad 2 in the year I have had it, and it still runs super fast. :)

Does anyone know if there are still any iPad 2 32Gb ones out there or is it just 16Gb now? I'd rather have 32Gb and save a few quid with getting the iPad2. If not I'll get the iPad 3 on Tuesday Whoop!

AndyWest said:
Does anyone know if there are still any iPad 2 32Gb ones out there or is it just 16Gb now? I'd rather have 32Gb and save a few quid with getting the iPad2. If not I'll get the iPad 3 on Tuesday Whoop!

Still all available

Yes Currys still had them yesterday and available on line for £399 for a 32gb if that helps Andy.

£289 for the ipad2 from the referb store at apple or £399 for the new one so £110 difference , from reading around the screen and battery is the only change if its worth the £110 to you

£289 for the ipad2 from the referb store at apple or £399 for the new one so £110 difference , from reading around the screen and battery is the only change if its worth the £110 to you

You do know you are comparing secondhand to new now don't you ;)

Referb with a full years warranty, not second hand I've always bought via the Referb store and just received 'new' if ur worried its another 40 quid for a 'new' one :)

tomkbucks said:
Referb with a full years warranty, not second hand I've always bought via the Referb store and just received 'new' if ur worried its another 40 quid for a 'new' one :)

Ok let me rephrase that than, a customer return or demo model. ;) a used one

dejongj said:
Ok let me rephrase that than, a customer return or demo model. ;) a used one

All refurbish I have bought from them have looked brand spanking new. The only difference was they came in brown boxes.

I am very happy with my Ipad2. Saw example screen shots comparing it to the new one online the other night but in no way is the screen on mine fuzzy like was shown on the comparison images. Not saying the new screen isn't good but i recommend a direct comparison in person to anyone deciding.

Reminded me of that dodgy Sky marketing ploy used in supermarkets comparing plus to HD; if my plus box had such a poor output as the one shown I would have cancelled my subscription!

I am very happy with my Ipad2. Saw example screen shots comparing it to the new one online the other night but in no way is the screen on mine fuzzy like was shown on the comparison images. Not saying the new screen isn't good but i recommend a direct comparison in person to anyone deciding.

Reminded me of that dodgy Sky marketing ploy used in supermarkets comparing plus to HD; if my plus box had such a poor output as the one shown I would have cancelled my subscription!

Thing is you can't really see the difference between a 2 and a 3 unless your screen is the same as the 3! With HD there is a noticeable difference for most films and sports.

iPad 3rd generation jailbreak has been available from yesterday.

Have you got a link?

Or are you confusing the announcement yesterday that they have discovered exploits that will lead to an eventual jailbreak.

MuscleNerd of the iPhone Dev Team noted that his jailbreak is in early stage and it needs a lot of time to be ready for a public released. However, i0n1c and chpwn/phoenixdev didn’t mention anything about the release date of their jailbreaks.

At which point they'll go "holy crap that's amazing!"

You really have to see it for yourself and experience the ease with which small text can be read to appreciate it. You can read entire A4 pages (PDFs of magazines etc) easily without zooming and view web-pages in portrait mode at full width with ease. Both of these things were difficult or impossible on the iPad2.

Back