So iPad 2 or 3....

Well, most of my media is streamed these days, my 64Gb Ipad1 is mostly empty so I just got a 16GB this time.

We have an iPad2 at home, its very nice.
Went to the Apple shop to have a play on the new one. The screen is a big step up. Nothing else has changed that I could tell. I've read that wi-fi is a problem as is a slightly hotter operating temp for the processor.

Tis not - brother in law has all three and I couldn't tell the difference in what I would consider normal use. Not to say other people don't see a difference just my opinion. Christ you give an honest view.....

switch them on first :rules:

Then your eyesight must be sufficiently poor. It's as simple as that really.

It's either that, or you havn't seen one at all.

+1 (y) Or he is looking at them from the other side of the room
Another reason why one shouldn't believe in subjective 3rd party statements about sharpness...

I went to have a look at the iPad 2 and 3 and I could not tell the difference much either. After having a think I went for the........

eeePad transformer from Asus!! I get a decent tablet that can do way more than the ipad and a keyboard as well. 2x USB slots, SD car slot, HDMI slot and micro SD card slot which is currently holding most of my music with 7GB to spare. The screen is as good if not better than iPad 2 and the screen is also a little bigger I think. Anyhoo I'm very impressed and very happy!

I still love Apple though! :D

I went to have a look at the iPad 2 and 3 and I could not tell the difference much either. After having a think I went for the........

eeePad transformer from Asus!! I get a decent tablet that can do way more than the ipad and a keyboard as well. 2x USB slots, SD car slot, HDMI slot and micro SD card slot which is currently holding most of my music with 7GB to spare. The screen is as good if not better than iPad 2 and the screen is also a little bigger I think. Anyhoo I'm very impressed and very happy!

I still love Apple though! :D

Did you buy it purely on the hardware specs though? Give any thought to how poor the android market is compared to the apple app store? or do you not intend on buying any apps?

Did you buy it purely on the hardware specs though? Give any thought to how poor the android market is compared to the apple app store? or do you not intend on buying any apps?

I looked at what you get with the iPad and just thought it was not good value for money especially when you think of what you can get with a nice small laptop which is what i was going to be replacing. The transformer has the best of both worlds and will be perfect for me. There are over 450,000 apps for Android and only a few i want from either Apple or Android. The transformer has far more to offer ME! I still love Apple, i just wish you get more straight out the box.

There are over 450,000 apps for Android

thats the pinch for me.

450,000 apps so many of which are just beyond poor.

Right now if i wanted to submit an app to the android market (now google Play) that had a picture of me holding an ipad and when you presse it it said "Ipads are better than android" I could upload it and you could download it within the hour. Thats how poorly their market is maintained

What data plan do people use for these iPads? Does anyone buy these 'preloaded' cards from ebay that have data limits on them? I do fancy an iPad 3, but I use my laptop all the time so not sure why I'd need one :thinking:

What data plan do people use for these iPads? Does anyone buy these 'preloaded' cards from ebay that have data limits on them? I do fancy an iPad 3, but I use my laptop all the time so not sure why I'd need one :thinking:

Yes. I buy the 3GB/3 month 3 cards. But nearly all of my net access is via wifi.

I really didn't think I'd use an iPad when I bought one on their very first day, three years ago. I was fully prepared for masses of buyers remorse. I already had a laptop and a netbook, so why would I want a tablet?

The best thing about it is that I'm no longer tied to a desk. Both the laptop and the netbook were a real pain in the bum to use anywhere apart from on a desk/table. The laptop got so hot that it was impossible to use on one's lap without severe roasting of nuts.

But the iPad is easy to use sitting on the settee, standing up or lying in bed (which is where I'm typing this).

thats the pinch for me.

450,000 apps so many of which are just beyond poor.

Right now if i wanted to submit an app to the android market (now google Play) that had a picture of me holding an ipad and when you presse it it said "Ipads are better than android" I could upload it and you could download it within the hour. Thats how poorly their market is maintained

But that's not an issue for me. I just download the good stuff like everyone else.

But that's not an issue for me. I just download the good stuff like everyone else.

aye, but what i mean is it means that finding that "good stuff" is that much harder and choice for the "good stuff" is less. Developers hate google play because of the nature of it's uncontrolled content approval so they don't like producing content on there as there is too much rubbish so visibility is poor. This leaves android users at a disadvantage because choice is worse.

Yes. I buy the 3GB/3 month 3 cards. But nearly all of my net access is via wifi.

I really didn't think I'd use an iPad when I bought one on their very first day, three years ago. I was fully prepared for masses of buyers remorse. I already had a laptop and a netbook, so why would I want a tablet?

The best thing about it is that I'm no longer tied to a desk. Both the laptop and the netbook were a real pain in the bum to use anywhere apart from on a desk/table. The laptop got so hot that it was impossible to use on one's lap without severe roasting of nuts.

But the iPad is easy to use sitting on the settee, standing up or lying in bed (which is where I'm typing this).

Thanks for the info. Yeah the laptop getting too hot is one of the reasons I'm thinking of ditching it, even with these coolpad trays I still find it pretty annoying.

My iPad 1 had 3G built in and I used to use the 3 sims off eBay, I had a 3 month and a 12 month preloaded which worked well but I felt worked out pretty expensive.

I bought the wifi only iPad 2 and just create a hotspot on my phone and use that data connection. It costs about £40 a year on a 3 sim card.

Would definately get the new iPad - especially for photographers, the new screen is worth the small extra premium. Getting mine tomorrow :)

drcph said:
Would definately get the new iPad - especially for photographers, the new screen is worth the small extra premium. Getting mine tomorrow :)

Yeah I saw the new iPad in John Lewis today and it's screen is amazing for photos and reading books etc

Enjoy it!

Laudrup said:
What data plan do people use for these iPads?

I have an O2 iPhone and use the personal hotspot bolt-on. For £2 per month I get an extra 500mb of data to use on any wifi enabled device. We use it on the wife's iPad an I use it on my netbook when I'm on the train, works for me :)

Yeah I saw the new iPad in John Lewis today and it's screen is amazing for photos and reading books etc

Enjoy it!

Thanks, will do - got my money back from an iPad 2 with a defective screen two weeks ago (good timing!), so the upgrade is easier than I thought it would be :D

Got the 2 and 3 in front of me and the the screen on the new one is just brilliant.. especially if you want to show your photos off on it :)

sp0rk said:
Got the 2 and 3 in front of me and the the screen on the new one is just brilliant.. especially if you want to show your photos off on it :)

I agree, compared to my iPad 1 my photos look amazing, for me that alone was worth the upgrade.

I just went into pcworld and it was really confusing in there whether they even had the new ipad or not, marketting from ipad 2 and the new one were all mixed together. I took a look at the 4 display models but couldn't tell if these were ipad 2's or new ipads. I've had a 1 and not used a 2 before so to me I wasnt sure. I asked a guy who told me two were new and 2 were ipad2's

Well, I hope he was wrong and I think he must have been wrong because i got the exact same photo up on both and they looked identical. From reading what people have said here he must have been wrong ......... right?

I only had 2 minutes in there as I had two very upset children in the car so i couldn't hang around and double check, it was merely a glance

They have slightly different aesthetics so you should be able to tell straight away if you know what to look at

keyboard has a mic symbol on it

I had a look at the weekend and the screen does seem better. Better enough to upgrade? Not for me. However, if I was buying now for use with images I would go for the newer model.

You really need to get to the opticians if you can't tell the difference between an old and new ipad screen....it's very obvious.

Back