So it really is time to ditch Adobe

Adobe have explained it. It's an A/B test that is hiding it for some users, basically to test whether people will go for it. I would imagine they want to make Lightroom Classic so expensive that nobody goes for it, everyone gets Lightroom CC instead and then they can kill off or at least stop development of Classic.

To be clear the £9.99 plan is still available you just have to look a bit harder to find it.

I’d be fine with them killing off classic if they can get all the functionality into CC. It’s miles away at the moment.

I’d be fine with them killing off classic if they can get all the functionality into CC. It’s miles away at the moment.

I agree. For me the main things missing are applying a preset on import, and export presets and watermarking. I could work around those limits at the moment but it would be great if they could include them in all the versions of CC. I really want to move over to something like an iPad Pro as my main photography machine but it's just little things like the lack of these features that are stopping me from doing it.

It would be nice if all the colour and luminance masking features would come over to CC too but they wouldn't be a deal breaker for me as I rarely use them.

Adobe have explained it. It's an A/B test that is hiding it for some users, basically to test whether people will go for it. I would imagine they want to make Lightroom Classic so expensive that nobody goes for it, everyone gets Lightroom CC instead and then they can kill off or at least stop development of Classic.

To be clear the £9.99 plan is still available you just have to look a bit harder to find it.
It's not just about Lightroom (either version). If the hidden LR + PS package goes away altogether, there'll be no PS at the £10 level, which is a very big deal for some users. And if they're only offering LR + storage for £10 a month, that looks like terrible value compared to the former perpetual licence, which you could buy for just over £100 (and maybe use for 5 years if you didn't need the updates). Yes, they're obviously testing if people will go for one of these (worse) deals, but Adobe have a poor record with hiding things - perpetual CS6 and LR6 licences became hard to find on Adobe's site before they vanished altogether. If they're playing games like this, then there's a strong chance they're thinking of doing it for real.

I have used CS5 for years, and this is exactly the reason that I never went for the cloud.
OK so maybe there are a couple of bits that I don't have over CC.
I don't need nor like lightroom.
And ACR does all the raw processing I need,
even Jpegs can be processed "raw" in ACR.

Flickr for sharing images , PC for storing.. no subscription ..Works for me. (y)

So we're lab rats.

A/B tests are fairly standard practice across the internet. Many people are always being used as testers. Google does this a lot with various subsets of users. My wife's Facebook app on her phone looks totally different to mine at the moment as they test their new layout. She's obviously part of the test but I'm not. It happens all the time, half the time without the users even knowing.

Many users like myself would not tie ourselves into using cloud storage that would terminate if we move our subscription to a different program supplier.
That a 100% price hike is possible or imminent, reinforces the view that we should all be taking the cautious approach and research alternative options.
It is perhaps fortunate that at least one of the options can migrate lightroom catalogues to their own platform.
I for one never link or use cloud storage that is dedicated to a particular program supplier, as it leaves one very vulnerable to such shenanigans as this.

A/B tests are fairly standard practice across the internet. Many people are always being used as testers. Google does this a lot with various subsets of users. My wife's Facebook app on her phone looks totally different to mine at the moment as they test their new layout. She's obviously part of the test but I'm not. It happens all the time, half the time without the users even knowing.

But these tests aren't the same as offering a different product selection or pricing.

The issue here is that Adobe are displaying different options that affect purchase and renewal decisions for new and existing customers.

So as an example. When I looked yesterday the £9.99 option was apparently for LR only. So if I'm renewing and thinking of maybe cancelling to get a lower deal - or if I'm not renewing but see a prepay for LR+PS at £9.99/month then my purchase decision is affected as is my price sensitivity.

The problem is finding a single program that covers everything
Affinity Photo is an excellent alternative to Photoshop.
However the included raw processor is totally rubbish.
I have not found a Dam to match Lightroom but it would have considerable advantage to have one that was independent of processing.
There used to be one called IView that was bought out by Microsoft, then changed hands a number of times but is now defunct.
It was the one I used before it was sold and so was forced to move to. Lightroom.
There is certainly room in the market for a dedicated DAM dedicated to image cataloguing. All it needs is active links to other processing programs.
(In much the same way PTAssembler has active seamless plugins to other helper programs like Smartblend and TuFuse)

There is certainly room in the market for a dedicated DAM dedicated to image cataloguing. All it needs is active links to other processing programs.

^THIS

I'm not a fan of LR for DAM and I think this should be a separate function from what LR/PS/DXO/Affinity/OM1/Capture 1/Topaz and others do with the image processing.

A/B tests are fairly standard practice across the internet.

The unintended consequences of which are that in this case, Adobe have partially broken the trust of their customers and are losing sales as a direct result. Just because something is common or acceptable practice for some does not mean that it is actually either a good idea or even useful, and it seems to me that Adobe are increasingly alienating a portion of their customers through their marketing and business program.

Personally I like Lightroom, but I've stuck with 5 because I really really do not want a subscription model (that trust thing) when I would have upgraded. For a business user the issue is much less complicated: need the software, so just absorb the price increases as a business overhead unless it starts to impact the bottom line noticeably, and if the company become a PITA then and only then look at changing.

If I could buy lightroom 7/8 standalone for about £100 permanent license then I probably would. Sod CC. ;)

The unintended consequences of which are that in this case, Adobe have partially broken the trust of their customers and are losing sales as a direct result. Just because something is common or acceptable practice for some does not mean that it is actually either a good idea or even useful, and it seems to me that Adobe are increasingly alienating a portion of their customers through their marketing and business program.

Personally I like Lightroom, but I've stuck with 5 because I really really do not want a subscription model (that trust thing) when I would have upgraded. For a business user the issue is much less complicated: need the software, so just absorb the price increases as a business overhead unless it starts to impact the bottom line noticeably, and if the company become a PITA then and only then look at changing.

If I could buy lightroom 7/8 standalone for about £100 permanent license then I probably would. Sod CC. ;)

I agree this has been handled very poorly by Adobe, just throwing it out there with no explanation ensures a raft of incorrect stories across the internet. They've lost control of the narrative on this and yes it is harming them.

Personally I absolutely love the cloud side of Lightroom now, I use it all the time. Lightroom is probably the most used app on my phone, I have everything synced over from my desktop and when my subscription renews in November I'll probably move over to CC totally and get the 1Tb cloud storage option.

I am going to really show my ignorance, as I never considered and hence never looked into this, in regard to CC and the Cloud usage?

In CC with the Cloud ~ re: LR - in old LR and LR Classic all the image files are stored locally i.e. on the hard drive(s) but in LR CC all the files are in the Cloud, yes?

If the above is the case and as mentioned for some CC is good because all the image files are in the Cloud hence accessible anywhere just how do you cope when on an ADSL broadband line where upload speeds are dire compared to Fibre. A single shoot session can result in a very large number of GB's of files..............................on ADSL that would take, potentially, many days to upload!!!

If I understand the LR CC 'setup' correctly is the inferred, not too far in the future, loss of LR Classic going to effectively 'cut off' a goodly proportion of Adobe LR users???

If the above is the case and as mentioned for some CC is good because all the image files are in the Cloud hence accessible anywhere just how do you cope when on an ADSL broadband line where upload speeds are dire compared to Fibre. A single shoot session can result in a very large number of GB's of files..............................on ADSL that would take, potentially, many days to upload!!!

Before we had fibre broadband any kind of remote storage was completely unthinkable, and if that's the case for you then cloud storage (really just keeping your files on someone else's server) is of no use.

So I'm not hooked into anything right now. Between Luminar 3, Affinity Photo and Photoshop - which one would be best for overall editing?

I've always used GIMP before which has been fine but seemed a bit limited in some areas (though can't complain for free!).

So I'm not hooked into anything right now. Between Luminar 3, Affinity Photo and Photoshop - which one would be best for overall editing?

I've always used GIMP before which has been fine but seemed a bit limited in some areas (though can't complain for free!).

They are different things.

Affinity and PS are pixel editors, Luminar and LR are for ‘developing’ and managing your images.

For most photographers Luminar (or LR) does for 99.9% of what they need.

They are different things.

Affinity and PS are pixel editors, Luminar and LR are for ‘developing’ and managing your images.

For most photographers Luminar (or LR) does for 99.9% of what they need.

Which ones are nearer GIMP in operation and output? I also have an Ipad pro so if there was possible integration with that, it would be helpful too.

Which ones are nearer GIMP in operation and output? I also have an Ipad pro so if there was possible integration with that, it would be helpful too.

The only things that integrate, as far as I know (and I often look) is Lightroom, Apple Photos (if you have a Mac) and google photos.

To replace gimp I’d suggest Affinty, which you can get for computer and iPad (but they don’t really integrate).

The only things that integrate, as far as I know (and I often look) is Lightroom, Apple Photos (if you have a Mac) and google photos.

To replace gimp I’d suggest Affinty, which you can get for computer and iPad (but they don’t really integrate).

I've tried the trial of affinity for pc (unfortunately there isn't one for ipad!) and it seems pretty good. I'm happy with it. I've never played with anything like Lightroom though - I seldom have masses of images to work through as I'm just a hobbyist. I may give it a try though and see what it offers.

Thanks for the help :).

I've tried the trial of affinity for pc (unfortunately there isn't one for ipad!) and it seems pretty good. I'm happy with it. I've never played with anything like Lightroom though - I seldom have masses of images to work through as I'm just a hobbyist. I may give it a try though and see what it offers.

Thanks for the help :).

I just Googled Affinity Photo for Ipad, and there is one.

I just Googled Affinity Photo for Ipad, and there is one.

I couldn't see a trial version for the ipad last time I looked, then I do tend to be oblivious to things like that! I shall check on it later today and have a play.

I ended my subscription to CC last year but, for some reason, Photoshop carried on working in full. Then I got a new iMac and that was no longer the case. I clicked the link to renew the subscription and it showed the Photography Plan at £19.98/month and thought "screw that!". Having read this thread, I had another look this morning and it showed the Photography nPlan as £9.98/month (20GB). There's also a Lightroom Plan at the same price but with 1TB, was that there before or is it new?

Another thing I notice is that there isn't much incentive to pay yearly, it carries a grand saving of 56p!

I ended my subscription to CC last year but, for some reason, Photoshop carried on working in full. Then I got a new iMac and that was no longer the case. I clicked the link to renew the subscription and it showed the Photography Plan at £19.98/month and thought "screw that!". Having read this thread, I had another look this morning and it showed the Photography nPlan as £9.98/month (20GB). There's also a Lightroom Plan at the same price but with 1TB, was that there before or is it new?

Another thing I notice is that there isn't much incentive to pay yearly, it carries a grand saving of 56p!
All three of those options have always been available. £10 per month for photography plan with 20GB storage, £10 per month for lightroom plan with 1TB storage and £20 per month for photography plan with 1TB storage.

If you are paying for the photography plan with 20GB storage annually its far cheaper to buy a subscription from somewhere like amazon.

All three of those options have always been available. £10 per month for photography plan with 20GB storage, £10 per month for lightroom plan with 1TB storage and £20 per month for photography plan with 1TB storage.

If you are paying for the photography plan with 20GB storage annually its far cheaper to buy a subscription from somewhere like amazon.

Every day's a school day. I originally signed up to the photography plan (LR & PS) when it was $9.99

On1 does everything that LR does and also has layers and masks, which means it can do a lot of what PS used to do as well.
You also don't need to load all your images into a "catalog" either, which is what I used to dislike about LR.
You can still label and keyword all your images, and searching is just as quick and simple as it is in LR.

It’s unclear then if adobe will at some point up the prices for renewals. Doubling the price would sound unreasonable, from about £120 a year to £240. But how many of us spend far more than that every year on equipment that we use far less? Personally I use Lightroom / Photoshop several times a week, on projects and other stuff, but I’m lucky if I use my cameras twice a month. Hence I’ve always considered £10 a month good value. I’m not sure at what cost point I’d reconsider my subscription.

I don't think we would change if the price was doubling. But I can understand why lots of others would cancelling or looking elsewhere, at £10 it's good, £20 is too much. We have too much invested in Adobe I think, for us to cancel, across their other apps also. We were in one of the test groups here in the UK on Wednesday and got hit with double price option only.

This isn't the first time we've seen this either, we had similar in March and October last year, I think once the year before that as well. When queried it online support did not know anything about it, but further checks and we were told A and B testing.

I think it will happen one day and in the not too future distance.

As an ex-IT manager I don't and won't keep anything in the so-called "cloud". I don't trust anyone else's server, and I don't trust the BT/Openreach line to not fail occasionally (as it does currently).

I like Lightroom Classic, hardly use the included Photoshop, but any replacement would have to have an included database to which I could migrate my existing catalogue. ON1 looks promising, but from what I've read, the current iteration is slow and somewhat buggy.

The only reason I went from my purchased Lightroom 6 to CC was that LR6 didn't recognise my ARW raw files from Sony. Just this morning I thought of a work around, use Adobe DNG Converter to convert the ARW files to DNG which are recognised by LR6.
I've re-installed my LR6 on a different computer but when I try to open it up I must login to Adobe and what pops up is my Lightroom CC.....grrrrr buggers!

So, if you buy a subscription from Amazon (et al) does that get applied at the end of your current subscription? Mine is due to renew at the end of June once the 2 free months has expired.

So, if you buy a subscription from Amazon (et al) does that get applied at the end of your current subscription? Mine is due to renew at the end of June once the 2 free months has expired.
I believe it does. Not quite the same but I have a monthly photography plan subscription and I have finally got around to applying the 1 month free that came with the Loupedeck I bought. My Adobe account now says I'm paid up until July.

So, I assume if you activate an 12 month subscription code from Amazon it will just added it to the end of your current one.

Thanks ChrisJ, that's what I thought but couldn't find anything on the Adobe web site.

The only reason I went from my purchased Lightroom 6 to CC was that LR6 didn't recognise my ARW raw files from Sony. Just this morning I thought of a work around, use Adobe DNG Converter to convert the ARW files to DNG which are recognised by LR6.
I've re-installed my LR6 on a different computer but when I try to open it up I must login to Adobe and what pops up is my Lightroom CC.....grrrrr buggers!
Has that computer had CC on it at some point? If so, you might want to use Adobe's Cleaner tool to remove all traces and start with a blank slate:

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

I have not found a Dam to match Lightroom but it would have considerable advantage to have one that was independent of processing.
There used to be one called IView that was bought out by Microsoft, then changed hands a number of times but is now defunct.
It was the one I used before it was sold and so was forced to move to. Lightroom.
(In much the same way PTAssembler has active seamless plugins to other helper programs like Smartblend and TuFuse)

Have a look at IMatch https://www.photools.com/. It can certainly handle active links to other programs.

Back