So it really is time to ditch Adobe

I feel a bit "Billy-no-mates" as not (yet) having received the email. However my surname is nearer the lower end of the alphabet so there is still time.

I upgraded from LR5 to LR6 late in 2017 and have had no problems whatever with the program reading my Sony .ARW raw files with no need to use the DNG converter.
That's interesting, my copy wouldn't play ball. Can't test it though as I can't load LR6:banghead:

I have found this thread quite confusing. I have not received any email from Adobe telling me that they are going to change my fee.... I have a plan that costs £10 a month. I use LR Classic, PS and update Camera RAW regularly. Is there a definitive answer anywhere?

I think that at the time of transition where they introduced a cloud version in parallel with V6 it was called Lightroom CC 2015.x /LR 6 (the 'x' reference was to sub version) I think it shows that on the Adobe page I linked to above?
Yes, it refers to LR6 under 'Creative Cloud Apps'. I think it also used to be the case that the same LR demo version was used for both LR CC 2015 and LR6 standalone, and after it expired you could choose to buy either a CC or perpetual licence. Basically the parallel versions were the same thing, differing only in the branding and the way the licence worked, and whether the cloud/mobile sync features were available. Later on I guess they diverged, as LR CC got more updates.

My copy they were referring to is the stand alone LR6 that I purchased as a "one time" in 2017. I think they are sending this email out to all such purchasers to get them to take out a CC plan.
Left hand and right hand not talking as I already have a CC plan. Like the impetuous fool I am I deleted my LR6 copy when taking out my CC plan as it wouldn't read my Sony raw files. In hindsight I should have done more research and downloaded the Adobe DNG converter app and just carried on with LR6, I don't need the other stuff that comes with it.
I'd be the last one to try to defend Adobe, but I wonder if this is simply a mistake or badly worded email, especially if you had CC when LR6 was current - perhaps whatever mechanism they use to check whether CC users still have old versions of CC apps also flags LR6 standalone as if it were LR CC 2015? Has anyone who uses LR6 but does not subscribe to CC received an email like this? I can't imagine Adobe has any enforceable legal right to require anyone to stop using LR6 standalone, whether or not they also subscribe to CC. They may have the right to stop CC-only customers using older CC apps like LR CC 2015, but they'd be better off doing this by having some means of forcing an update remotely, like MS does with Windows 10.

Call it what you wanting to this is all that was available to some on Wed 1st, Thursday 2nd and Friday 3rd when all this happened - removing the 20GB option is doubling the price for many people. As far as I know everything went back to normal on Friday 3rd at some point.
adobe photography plans.jpg

Last edited:
I have found this thread quite confusing. I have not received any email from Adobe telling me that they are going to change my fee.... I have a plan that costs £10 a month. I use LR Classic, PS and update Camera RAW regularly. Is there a definitive answer anywhere?
Adobe were simply testing prices on new customers by removing the £10 plan you have as an option on the normal plan page. There is nothing anywhere that suggests the price has actually increased for existing customers. That's not to say that Adobe will not double or even increase the price for existing customers at some point.

Adobe were simply testing prices on new customers by removing the £10 plan you have as an option on the normal plan page. There is nothing anywhere that suggests the price has actually increased for existing customers. That's not to say that Adobe will not double or even increase the price for existing customers at some point.

Quite - it seems that they were simply testing the market to see if it would bear a big price hike.

If there is any chance I'd be able to use my LR6 then I'd ditch CC like a shot and go back to my purchased copy. The trouble is Adobe will charge me a cancellation fee for ending CC early.
As well as using the Cleaner tool on the computer, you might need to do something like create a fresh Adobe ID without a CC sunscription, and re-register LR6 to that.

Testing the market or softening it up I wonder? We've seen this approach of go-too-far and then roll-back quite a bit with social media companies, perhaps Adobe is trying to apply that approach, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see at 20% price hike within the year with the message "well at least we didn't double it".

Just an update:
I have created a new Adobe account by using a different email account as advised here and succesfully registered my paid for LR6. Adobe wanted to charge me £54 cancellation penalty for Creative Cloud Subscription as being half the remaining contract. That's in the T&C's apparently but it really pi$$ed me off :mad:, my own fault though. I got them to offer me 3 free months if I didn't cancel so I've taken that but will cancel the renewal when it comes up and revert to using my LR6.
Thanks for the help in this thread.

I switched to ON1 Photo Raw 2019 a few months ago and cancelled Adobe Photography CC. The subscription has irritated me for a while. I'm won't say ON1 is perfect, but it does the job for me and I don't do much post processing anyway, it's more about organisation and meta.

I'm a standalone LR6.14 user and won't be subscribing in the foreseeable future.
I haven't had any emails relating to my software stopping working.
I would imagine it would be pretty hard to turn off software I've purchased (not rented) without offering compensation.

This might shed some light...
"Upgrade refuseniks, beware: Adobe snips away legacy versions of its Creative Cloud apps
Need something older than the last two major updates? Tough – get on the update treadmill"

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/05/13/adobe_creative_cloud_licence/

I was about to post the same link. What Adobe might do, as they did with an old version of filmpack, is turn off the activation server, so fresh installs can't activate.

I'm a standalone LR6.14 user and won't be subscribing in the foreseeable future.
I would imagine it would be pretty hard to turn off software I've purchased (not rented) without offering compensation.

"Upgrade refuseniks, beware: Adobe snips away legacy versions of its Creative Cloud apps
Need something older than the last two major updates? Tough – get on the update treadmill"

My guess is that nobody who hasn't also subscribed to CC will get a letter, and the intention is 'only' to kill off older CC versions. The links in the Register article also just talk about legacy CC applications. I suppose this makes life much easier for Adobe (and that language about 'risk of potential claims of infringement by third parties' implies some sort of legal issue about technology in the older releases they'd rather wash their hands of - 'don't blame us if somebody sues you, we've already told you to stop using that version').

I was about to post the same link. What Adobe might do, as they did with an old version of filmpack, is turn off the activation server, so fresh installs can't activate.
Adobe also did this with CS2, though in that case they provided replacement downloads that didn't need online activation, effectively making it 'free' (legally you still needed a valid licence, of course). I doubt they were just being 'nice' here - they may have been advised that killing off activations unilaterally would leave them open to legal action.

My main issue with potentially losing LR Classic is I have an A7R2, and RAW files are circa 85mb each. Even with a half-decent broadband connection, that's a weighty upload. The only thing I use the phone or web app for is culling and flagging - I find the editing in Classic much quicker, easier and better (and more fully formed).
I'd be happy to lose PS, but really don't want to lose Classic, but as a hobbiest I can't justify £240 p/a and really don't care for any of the cloud features.

I'd be really interested to see their research into LR Classic vs LR CC usage - as I've not really met anyone who prefers CC over Classic.

My Photography program has just renewed at the same price as last year £8.32 +vat.
That gives me PS, LR CC,LR Cloud with 20gb storage, Bridge, so nothing has changed

My Photography program has just renewed at the same price as last year £8.32 +vat.
That gives me PS, LR CC,LR Cloud with 20gb storage, Bridge, so nothing has changed

It was only testing the pricing for new subscribers, it is not supposed to have changed.

I think you are safe, LR 6.14 doesn't look to be effected by these changes.

This thread has got me thinking about where to go with software in the very near future. I have been using lightroom mostly with a spot of photoshop using the photography plan which has been perfect for me. Shooting weddings I’ve managed to get my editing workflow down to a degree where it doesn’t take me long at all.

I’ve very recently stopped shooting professionally and as such can’t really justify £120 a year for software that won’t get used THAT often; the On1 software looks to be a reasonable price without a subscription model which would suit me nicely. I’m happy to relearn software but I don’t really do in depth editing and use a series of presets which suit me nicely, some of which I paid for. Has anybody managed to easily migrate presets over? If so that may just seal the deal for me, if not I feel a trial is in order and some fettlin’ :D

This thread has got me thinking about where to go with software in the very near future. I have been using lightroom mostly with a spot of photoshop using the photography plan which has been perfect for me. Shooting weddings I’ve managed to get my editing workflow down to a degree where it doesn’t take me long at all.

I’ve very recently stopped shooting professionally and as such can’t really justify £120 a year for software that won’t get used THAT often; the On1 software looks to be a reasonable price without a subscription model which would suit me nicely. I’m happy to relearn software but I don’t really do in depth editing and use a series of presets which suit me nicely, some of which I paid for. Has anybody managed to easily migrate presets over? If so that may just seal the deal for me, if not I feel a trial is in order and some fettlin’ :D

I'm not aware of a preset migration tool, but there are many many presets form On1, and they are also very easy to create to suit your own taste (what I'd recommend). Consider also DXO if you like presets and a little automation.

I'm not aware of a preset migration tool, but there are many many presets form On1, and they are also very easy to create to suit your own taste (what I'd recommend). Consider also DXO if you like presets and a little automation.

Thanks for the tip, looks like I’ve got some homework to do :D

If there is any chance I'd be able to use my LR6 then I'd ditch CC like a shot and go back to my purchased copy. The trouble is Adobe will charge me a cancellation fee for ending CC early.
yes you still have a licence just dl v6

i have lr6 and its not connected to adobe at all via internet,even if yours is its ok
If you have a CC subscription in place and are logged to Adobe then you cannot install a purchased copy of LR6. You will simply see your Adobe Lightroom Classic come up.
If you create a new Adobe account with a different email address then you will be able to log in to this and complete installation of your LR6 copy, you must log out of your CC account first.

Laurence not sure if you mean me but ive not got a CC sub and dont connect to adobe these days. thanks

I just bought Affinity Photo for £49, one-off payment, no subscription model and it's the same as Lightroom. One of the new Industry Standards in my opinion.

I have just bought ( pre ordered) Affinity Publisher as a beta user, for only £33.99 .... Affinity is on the march.
It just needs to add an asset management tool, and improve its Raw processing and it will be a real winner. It is already an excellent pixel editor.

Back