So what film camera/bit of kit have you been obsessing about today?

Now wondering whether to try a lomography Bell end er bellair as a cheap alternative. That offers multi format and panorama features. Foldable.

After using the scientific research tool that is flickr the Bel air is definitely off the list.

After using the scientific research tool that is flickr the Bel air is definitely off the list.
What are you actually looking for Suz?

What are you actually looking for Suz?

Image quality of the Fuji GW617 or the Xpan for a fraction of the money in something that is less cumbersome. I'd settle for reasonable image quality rather than jaw dropping. I suspect I'll end up trying panorama on the digital to scratch this itch... Edit: just tried the Sony. Ick. Clatter clatter clatter clatter.

The impossible is probably what I'm looking for :)

Last edited:
Image quality of the Fuji GW617 or the Xpan for a fraction of the money in something that is less cumbersome. I'd settle for reasonable image quality rather than jaw dropping. I suspect I'll end up trying panorama on the digital to scratch this itch...

The impossible is probably what I'm looking for :)

I can't help you straight away (as, annoyingly, there are only 24 hours in a day..) but I'm going to have a more affordable 6x12 at some point down the line, most likely early next year. I now that doesn't help you much right now though, sorry!

I'd be very careful about using Flickr to evaluate the merit of cameras. I see a lot of crap on there even with cameras that I know can produce the goods.

You would probably need to be even more careful if you're researching a Lomography camera, as there will be some strange choices in film, processing, and scanning, etc. that could easily obscure the capabilities of the camera.

I'd be very careful about using Flickr to evaluate the merit of cameras. I see a lot of crap on there even with cameras that I know can produce the goods.

You would probably need to be even more careful if you're researching a Lomography camera, as there will be some strange choices in film, processing, and scanning, etc. that could easily obscure the capabilities of the camera.

I think it was the belair I looked at a while ago. the lens was so simple I think it would be disappointing to anyone used to the decent quality of a high end camera.

True. The Bel air does use a plastic lens and it shows in the produced images. The BelAir with a proper lens of some kind might work a lot better.

I can't help you straight away (as, annoyingly, there are only 24 hours in a day..) but I'm going to have a more affordable 6x12 at some point down the line, most likely early next year. I now that doesn't help you much right now though, sorry!

I can wait :)

Awesome :) As in interim, have you thought about using something like a 6x9 folder but load it with 35mm? It's easy enough to get hold of 3D printed adaptors to hold the film cartridge and you'd just need to have a bit of a play with an old roll to work out winding on etc.

I hadn't. There's so many possibilities these days with 3d printed gubbins to make all sorts of modifications.

Just found those adapters on Amazon and got a pair. (y) Might try them in the Automat to see what happens.... except 120 winds itself onto the new spool and doesn't need winding back but 35mm always needs to be wound back into the cannister. Hmm.

Last edited:
Just found those adapters on Amazon and got a pair. (y) Might try them in the Automat to see what happens.... except 120 winds itself onto the new spool and doesn't need winding back but 35mm always needs to be wound back into the cannister. Hmm.

Have you got a dark bag? Otherwise you'll need to get under the duvet to rewind it.

Have you got a dark bag? Otherwise you'll need to get under the duvet to rewind it.

Nope. Not got any kind of changing bag type thingies. The Fuji GA645i has mid roll rewind though... except it shoots in portrait so it's the wrong orientation to make use of it possibly. My tiny brain can't work out what would you get if you did use 35mm in it.

Nope. Not got any kind of changing bag type thingies. The Fuji GA645i has mid roll rewind though... except it shoots in portrait so it's the wrong orientation to make use of it possibly. My tiny brain can't work out what would you get if you did use 35mm in it.

You'd be getting something like 1:2 (24:45) rather than 2:3 (24:36), so not very panoramic...

BTW if you use 135 film in a 120 camera, remember it doesn't have backing paper, so don't use one that needs looking for numbers through a red window to wind on!

I'm at the moment obsessing over finding a decent 28mm wide angle lens for the K1000, loads on eBay but trying to separate the decent lenses from the tat is becoming frustrating!

You'd be getting something like 1:2 (24:45) rather than 2:3 (24:36), so not very panoramic...

BTW if you use 135 film in a 120 camera, remember it doesn't have backing paper, so don't use one that needs looking for numbers through a red window to wind on!

The fuji is motorwind fortunately so all the blame can be put on it for any winding irregularities :)

I'm at the moment obsessing over finding a decent 28mm wide angle lens for the K1000, loads on eBay but trying to separate the decent lenses from the tat is becoming frustrating!
I have a Vivitar Wide Angle 28/2.8 which is excellent, and a Vivitar Wide Angle Close Focus 28/2.8 that's even finer! Also the Pentax M 28/3.5 is supposed to be very fine; I have one but never use it over the Vivitars.

A little plus for the Vivitars is they have green lettering which makes them easy to find in the bag or drawer! 49mm thread all these.

I have a Vivitar Wide Angle 28/2.8 which is excellent, and a Vivitar Wide Angle Close Focus 28/2.8 that's even finer! Also the Pentax M 28/3.5 is supposed to be very fine; I have one but never use it over the Vivitars.

A little plus for the Vivitars is they have green lettering which makes them easy to find in the bag or drawer! 49mm thread all these.

@ChrisR I'm bidding on a Vivitar as we speak and also a Sigma, both 28mm 2.8 I just hope I don't get sniped like I have the past couple of times I have bid on lenses!

Edit: I've just won the Sigma, £13.50! Got to be worth a punt at that price.

Last edited:
@ChrisR I'm bidding on a Vivitar as we speak and also a Sigma, both 28mm 2.8 I just hope I don't get sniped like I have the past couple of times I have bid on lenses!

Edit: I've just won the Sigma, £13.50! Got to be worth a punt at that price.
I think someone on here (@excalibur2 ) swears by one of the Sigmas. Was it this one you bought?

Right. So I think I'm probably going to look out for a Fuji GW690iii as my next buy. It does look like a reasonable compromise between price and performance and heft. I still dream about finding an Xpan for peanuts as well :)

its bloomin long 6x9, still, plenty of wiggle room

my thoughts are about the lens, and why you wouldn't just crop 120 film, but I guess there'll be some 35mm film convenience factor or some such thing.

or maybe you just fancy bloomin long panos....:D

its bloomin long 6x9, still, plenty of wiggle room

my thoughts are about the lens, and why you wouldn't just crop 120 film, but I guess there'll be some 35mm film convenience factor or some such thing.

or maybe you just fancy bloomin long panos....:D

I just fancy blooming long panos :) There's just something about them that are very immersive.

Right. So I think I'm probably going to look out for a Fuji GW690iii as my next buy. It does look like a reasonable compromise between price and performance and heft. I still dream about finding an Xpan for peanuts as well :)

I've had two of them Fuji's, a mk I and a mk ii. The lenses are superb, definitely amongst the best I have used but I found them a bit boxy and souless and I sold them both.
However (and I hope Mrs Snap isn't listening) every time I look at the shots I took with them I'm tempted to get another one... I'm not going to though honest :):)

I've had two of them Fuji's, a mk I and a mk ii. The lenses are superb, definitely amongst the best I have used but I found them a bit boxy and souless and I sold them both.
However (and I hope Mrs Snap isn't listening) every time I look at the shots I took with them I'm tempted to get another one... I'm not going to though honest :):)

:wave::withstupid::rolleyes:

Suz

For those times I want a pano I take several shots and stitch them together.

As long as you're careful it works a treat.

Suz

For those times I want a pano I take several shots and stitch them together.

As long as you're careful it works a treat.

I've done that but I like not having to. I also like the multi format options it would give me.

@Andysnap The 645 is very capable and with the motor wind it's like a big point and shoot so it's a very faff free experience. It is it's weakness and strength. I'm assuming the 690 is similar in how easy it is to use.

Last edited:
Thought I'd explore the possibilities here, so how's this; not quite as exciting a subject as Iceland (I mean the country not the frozen food shop), but it's a blooming long pano especially for Suz. :)

https://flic.kr/p/284SvfW
In reality it's 2/3 of the centre of a 6x9 shot from a £60 Ensign Selfix 820 folding camera. Now imagine what the detail might have been like if I'd used a tripod,100 ISO Fuji Acros instead of 400 ISO Ilford XP2, had the negative scanned at hi-res by a lab instead of using my Epson v600 flatbed scanner, and it wasn't a slightly overcast and breezy day? Now how much is that Hasselblad again? :whistle:

I've been obsessing about the replacement film that I managed to drop onto the rock armour this afternoon. It was like a game of pinball as it bounced about before finally disappearing for ever between the rocks. I had just taken it out the bag for a quick change as the photo opportunity was developing in front of me, and how many extra films had I thought to take with me? Got it in one. :oops: :$

I just found this guy's youtube channel and now I want a 6x17 panoramic camera.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLcKQhTO6i0oq10S234vWyA

I really like Nick Carver. He makes me chuckle and he really seems to care about his photography. The liquor store video was most amusing when the lorry driver rocked up right in front of his composition.

And as to 6x17 and obsessing about stuff. Every time I see this thread I want to post a link to the Tomiyama 6x17 that WYC has but then I don't want anyone to buy it, but then I can't afford it.... So someone buy it and put me out of my misery. Or I could Timeshare it with @Andysnap :)

Well now, thats rather nice.

But if you just stitch 3 shots from your Rollei together....boom..... 6 x 18 pano :D

Back