So what FILM related pressie did Santa bring you this Christmas?

and there will be another present to post up ( hopefully this weekend if it gets delivered as planned on friday) which unlike the other two gifts, is a "Christmas pressie to myself"

My wife got me some darkroom paper. Spent ages choosing it. RC as well as fibre and 16x12!

Sadly, I don't have a darkroom.

Bless her - she was very upset.

My wife got me some darkroom paper. Spent ages choosing it. RC as well as fibre and 16x12!

Sadly, I don't have a darkroom.

Bless her - she was very upset.

What a b*mm*r! :((n)

Erm so what are you going to do with it?

I feel kinda awful tbh cos I made a flipant comment ( in gest) in the "Merry Christmas" thread about being more than willing to accept any unwanted gifts!
It seems that i may have tempted fate, Sorry!:sorry:

Not really a Christmas present as such, but my dad looked out his old camera from the 60s to give me.

Still a gift though! ;)

If it works then why not run a roll of film through it…..I don't know that actual camera but looks to be 35mm format.

Your dad may well be touched to see some results from it if he's had it stored unused for a number of years.

I feel kinda awful tbh cos I made a flipant comment ( in gest) in the "Merry Christmas" thread about being more than willing to accept any unwanted gifts!

Heh, well I missed it.

Not sure what I'll do with it tbh. I've been looking at paper negatives and photograms but it feels like a waste. It wasn't cheap paper. I suspect it'll end up in the classifieds here and on eBay.

Edit to add: We are thinking of moving next year, and I have suggested a space for a dedicated darkroom. So I may end up keeping it. Enlarging to 16x12 though is a step up from what I'm used to. Biggest I've ever done is 8x10.

Last edited:
Edit to add: We are thinking of moving next year, and I have suggested a space for a dedicated darkroom. So I may end up keeping it. Enlarging to 16x12 though is a step up from what I'm used to. Biggest I've ever done is 8x10.

Now that's gotta be the best news!(y)

It wasn't cheap paper. I suspect it'll end up in the classifieds here and on eBay.

Before possibly selling it, is it not possible to try and return it to the retailer for a refund/ exchange, credit note?

I've got some money to spend and only found out yesterday that Ffordes are now stocking Ilford chemicals and Paterson darkroom kit, as well as film. Since it costs a fortune to get chems sent to the Highlands, a trip in the next few days to support them seems to be in order. :)

Not really a Christmas present as such, but my dad looked out his old camera from the 60s to give me. I'll have no intention of using it, but it's pretty cool to play about with. There's also a mechanical light meter

View attachment 263849

Run a roll through it, it’ll be fun and much better than just keeping it as an ornament.

Ansel Adams' Yosemite for inspiration, and (deep breath!)
5x Fidelity 4x5 film holders,and a bag for them
50 sheets of 4x5 Fomapan 100
A 90mm Schneider f8 in a Linhof board
A Stearman Press SP-455 tank with chemistry
4x5 negative holders and a box for them
A changing bag
And an Intrepid 4x5 Mk4 (awaiting delivery...)

Mrs SP did good!

From my wife I got:
Box of Portra 160 (120)
The Landscape by Don McCullin
Magnum Streetwise
Plus other non-photo related stuff

From my Emulsive Secret Santa I got:
2 rolls of Portra 800 (135)
2 rolls of expired Tmax (120)
2 rolls of expired Ektachrome (120)
Henri Cartier-Bresson: Interviews and Conversations 1951-1998
Photographic: The Life of Graciela Iturbide
A couple of prints of the sender's work
Some tea
Some Ferrero Rocher choccies

I sense some synchronicity in mine and @Kevin Allan 's book tastes as I also had Holga by Michael Kenna on my letter to Santa. :)

From my Emulsive Secret Santa I got:
2 rolls of Portra 800 (135)
2 rolls of expired Tmax (120)
2 rolls of expired Ektachrome (120)
Henri Cartier-Bresson: Interviews and Conversations 1951-1998
Photographic: The Life of Graciela Iturbide
A couple of prints of the sender's work
Some tea
Some Ferrero Rocher choccies

I sense some synchronicity in mine and @Kevin Allan 's book tastes as I also had Holga by Michael Kenna on my letter to Santa. :)

By way of contrast, from my Emulsive secret santa I got a circular 77mm yellow filter.

None for me. :( But I did buy my daughter some instant film for her Instax.

Last edited:
Another nothing. But in true F&C fashion, I can shoehorn in three. Since I don't regard photography as being completely separate from other art forms (other (erroneous :)) opinions are available) I'll count two books - Man Ray "Writings on art" and the Taschen book "Bauhaus" - and a series of video lectures on Michelangelo.

I will be getting another camera next year though - hoping for a special deal at the Photography Show, hence not before.

I got some old darkroom paper from my emulsive secret santa that he tells me is quite rare and unusual, so I'm apprehensive about messing it up and wasting it hehehe.
My wife also made me a crossstich gift that I'll upload in a bit, but it sits nicely with last years one too.

ETA photo of this years cross stitch from mah bird
20191225_064134 by Madison S, on Flickr

Last edited:
and there will be another present to post up ( hopefully this weekend if it gets delivered as planned on friday) which unlike the other two gifts, is a "Christmas pressie to myself"

I reckon Santas sleigh must be nuclear powered!:naughty:
He visited me, then headed off to ensure that most of you lot got your goodies, then he's done a swift U turn and come all the way back down here to drop this off a day earlier than expected :woot:

Nova.JPG

I have to say that its the first time I've ever come across a four slice toaster that accepts bread 16 x 12 inches :LOL::LOL:

Great to see that it has arrived safely Asha, and it's a more modern one than mine with the control unit on the plug. I've just got a refurb kit with new taps and hoses, so that will be getting sorted at the weekend. (y)

And guarantees that all the slices come out sepia brown?

Nothing for me so far, the strongly hinted light box didn't turn up. I did get a pair of gloves and a box of drill bits, both of which I'd bought.

TBH there's not really much I want that's within the price range of my family.

Still hopeful that my Secret Santa will actually send something interesting... or at least, something!

Lee that's a fantastic haul! 20 P3200, that's incredible. I didn't even know Ilford Pan 400 existed! And a 4x5 120 roll film back, Very very nice indeed.

Thanks Chris... I never knew Pan 400 existed either. When I get round to trying it, I'll let you know what it's like.

Santa (i.e, me) brought a Hasselblad 903SWC. I almost bought an SWC/M five years ago in the configuration I wanted (chrome, CF lens, newer finder with the built in bubble level) but I stupidly passed on it. I’ve already shot 5 rolls through it and years of zone focusing with my 35mm cameras means I’m right at home with the lack of focusing screen. Lens is amazingly sharp and distortion freeIt’s also kinda fun to be shooting a film camera that’s younger than me.

The server here is going to be brutal with the compression but here are two shots from the first roll. HP5 + Rodinal 1:25, @ 800:
878BD5B3-AB1E-4567-958F-ABF6CB2C67B3.jpeg683BEC3A-42CA-4911-8608-0C24C1450FC4.jpeg

Back