social History some old pic's

Name
Terri
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok Hubby has been wanting to scan these for months and now has i thought i would share them with you.. this is his first time scanning then ect and first time in PS.
4422578420_feef33cd9f.jpg

4421812229_59f620bdfd.jpg

4422576524_3ff93cdebe.jpg

4422575464_8a30b995d9_o.jpg

4422573718_b61d20a720_o.jpg

4421807663_43953a87eb_o.jpg

i just thought i would share.. there are more just didn't know which one to put on here..

Last edited:
Thanks Natt i know not many people are interested in this sort of thing. it totaly fasinates me..

Thanks Caz have to say i though more people may have looked oh well never mind i like them..

I always feel it strange or amazing to look at old photos like these and think to myself, these people are all practically dead and buried and we are now looking at them and they dont know that all these years later, people would be looking at them. Cant really explain it properly, but do think like this.

Right there is one person alive out of some of these maybe 2 i'm trying to find out and most were taken Redcar hartleypool area. again trying to fins out.. there are loads more that were take of the sailor away at sea during the war too.

the ladyu in no 3 second from the left is soo alive i know that as she is my mother in law

Yes i do sit and wounder if they ever thought in years to come who would be looking at them..

Last edited:
Very Good, where were they taken? Certainly not in Newton Aycliffe

I was thinking the same, Newton Aycliffe wasn't built when most of these were taken.

These are great, which one is you ;)

I was thinking the same, Newton Aycliffe wasn't built when most of these were taken.

These are great, which one is you ;)

i don't know i am from down south only been here 3 years. see above post for where we think they were taken..

cheeky begger:p:LOL:

The reason he is doing the scanning ect is they are being kept in a shed in the garden!!!!!
so he is making a dvd for his mum for mothers day. then i am going to keep the pic's here safe well safer.

This is what got me interested into photography many yrs ago. I collected photos of people and places around my area for the history and loved not only the fact identifieing those in the picture but all the other things in the image such as trying to identifie the place or building, this inspired me to purchase a camera and record my own period for the history around where i live. I now have a collection of various places and people of some 4500 images almost all before 1975. All backed up on DVD+External hard drive and printed ...

Thanks for sharing these, they trully deserve a place to be remembered.. (y)

Last edited:
Rocket thanks for that.. i have loads and loads more.. not going to bore everyone on here with them all but will add a couple more once he has sorted them.. His project.. his mum is so going to love it.. oh and yes i have them backed up nearly ev everywhere i can think

sorry but going to bumb this..if any one wants to see more please let me know we are wtill digging and have found info.. hubby is fretting that this history is gonna be lost.. now need t find out how to store these things we have that are over a 100 years old oknot all of them are but this a box and a half

I did a similar exercise a couple of years ago - it led me to research my family tree and I now know most of my ancestors back to 1695.

Also, most of the photographs I scanned are now loaded on a genealogy website and I've found loads more of the same families uploaded by distant relatives I didn't know I had.

So careful, it's catching.

thans for the warning i will leave it to him i think as it is his family

AS an update.. he has done some more scans ect so today we went out and bought a nice digital photo frame and have loaded it up with the old pictures and i light off his tour starting in 2 weeks some newish one 2 pf pat and the kids for his mum for mothers day.

A bump.
I'am sure his mother will be over the moon, done something similar a few years ago for my mother in-law, she cried her dear heart out, so expect some tears to flow.
Its very addictive, I got stuck with my own family tree some yrs ago after almost excausting each and every avenue, but just recently more has come to light, so its off again.

I spent some time doing my wifes fathers side , although not sure if i should be boasting/shouting about this :naughty:, her tree dates and relates to RICHARD ( Dick) TURPIN. trully.
But before you get any ideas we are a law abiding family.:LOL:

I think it`s fascinating, I love old photos.

I`ve recently done a some of my mums family.

22058_474072390577_781135577_10993863_518721_n.jpg

22058_474072400577_781135577_10993864_6242238_n.jpg

22058_474074400577_781135577_10993875_7569958_n.jpg

As my mum said, it`s important to have a knowledge of your family history passed on, otherwise it`s gets lost.

thank you.

Well we have now finished it well the slide show and music. the music has been choosen to be in date with the pictures.. we are having fun doing it..

oh an dthanks Rocket for the Bump

I think it`s fascinating, I love old photos.

I`ve recently done a some of my mums family.

22058_474072390577_781135577_10993863_518721_n.jpg

22058_474072400577_781135577_10993864_6242238_n.jpg

22058_474074400577_781135577_10993875_7569958_n.jpg

As my mum said, it`s important to have a knowledge of your family history passed on, otherwise it`s gets lost.

and your mum was right..

thanks for sharing your pictures too i love seeing things like this

Thanks for sharing these Terri.
I missed this thread when you first posted it, so I'm glad that it got bumped so I could see it (y)

Well done to your husband for rescuing them from the shed and bringing them back to life . . . these should be looked at and shared, not shut away in the dark.

I absolutely love the 4th one that you posted.
It's the guy at the back, holding his hands up - really made me laugh :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks for sharing yours too Martin.

Honestly, I could spend hours looking at these . . . already been staring at this thread for the last 10 minutes.

Sarahlee, thank you so much.. i just showed hubby your comments and he is really touched by them and everyone elses.. there are so many more i could add just didn't think anyone would want to see them .. i'll get round to adding some more after dinner.

again thank you

Sarahlee, thank you so much.. i just showed hubby your comments and he is really touched by them and everyone elses.. there are so many more i could add just didn't think anyone would want to see them .. i'll get round to adding some more after dinner.

again thank you

Now I know that this thread is here I'll make sure that I look out for them!

I missed this as well first time round, glad I found it this time. I also think its important to preserve these old family photos as not only are they of sentimental value to the family but they are an important social record of times past.
I currently have about 2000 photos of my Mum's (and Dad's) that I am scanning so they will not just disintegrate with age. I'm making the best and most important ones into a book for the family to keep.
Keep posting they're cracking shots and very interesting.

Cheers

Andy

I too am glad to have found this thread I love looking at old photos and have quite a few of our family dating back to around 1920. My dad was into his photography in the 50s so there are some lovely vintage shots. It always gives me a strange feeling looking at them.

These shots are definitely to be treasured! Well done for preserving them:clap:

Sorry Terri, I've just found this.

Please put up some more. Try to get a few that show a bit of the surrounding area so we can try and identify where exactly they were taken.

Great thread.(y)

Sorry didn't add anymore last night i got tied up.
after work today i'll add more and please remembr you asked for this.

i'll try and get ones so you can see more of the area but not sure what we have.
thanks fot the comments and interest shown

home now just up loading to flicker... then will post some not all of them.. the some i have listed may even be too many see how we go

Last edited:
There you go then. not many with noticable backgrounds i am afraid..

Last edited:
Back