Softness on the 55-250mm IS

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
After checking out some pics i took none of them seem to have the sharpness that other people on here are getting the "tack sharp".
The pictures look ok when fitted to the screen but when zoomed in at 100% edges look soft.

Could this be the lens or the way im taking shots.

Cheers
Scud

P.s I have a UV filter on the lens for protection too.(y)

post some pics at 100% crop with the exif might help, am interested to see as im looking to buy this lens.

Just installing PS onto the PC, brb.

Try it without the filter on too.

I've used this lens both with and without a filter (Hoya green UV, and I'm undecided whether it makes a lot of difference). A lot of the shots I've posted recently, have been taken with this lens. All the goodwood shots, the flowers, the flying hoverfly and this Gatekeeper Butterfly as examples. I've had some poor results too, but I've put that down to my inability to use the camera and lens properly. My one gripe with it would be the speed of focusing, everything else comes down to my lack of ability. HTH.

I wish I could help you out, as I have been trying to buy a 55-250 for 2 months - unable to locate any - if anyone could tell me where I can get one I would be most grateful :shrug:

Camerabox which is just up the road from me had them last week when I went and got one.. now showing as out of stock till this friday...

Victor

It could be either.

Despite all the talk you hear on the internet of "bad copies", manufacturers like Canon do have decent QC processes and I expect that over 99% - maybe over 99.9% - of the lenses they make are fine. (I have 115 lenses and none of them are "bad".)

On the other hand, the number of photographers who know how to take a sharp photo is definitely less than 99%.

I think you need to show us some examples, and tell us how you took them.

It could be either.

Despite all the talk you hear on the internet of "bad copies", manufacturers like Canon do have decent QC processes and I expect that over 99% - maybe over 99.9% - of the lenses they make are fine. (I have 115 lenses and none of them are "bad".)

On the other hand, the number of photographers who know how to take a sharp photo is definitely less than 99%.

True true, it -is- a good lens though, here are some of those examples (which im sure you have all probably seen before :D)

ALL off the canon 55-250 IS

whitebflyweb.jpg

brownbflyweb.jpg

flypinkweb.jpg

pkweb.jpg

antweb.jpg

It could be either.

115 lenses - well that makes me feel better about owning 5 :)

It could be either.

I totally agree with you there. Im having trouble with Win vista at the moment but will try to get some up later with and without the filter.

Cheers

@ combat - thats what i wanted pics like, is there any pp done ?

Ok, livingroom a bit darker than what i thought so pics were shot at ISO1600 all at 250mm

With filter at 1/25 5.6 on a tripod

1/25 5.6 without filter on tripod

With a filter 1/15 @ 5.6 Hand Held

Without filter 1/15 @ 5.6 Hand Held

Looking at them i can see the filter'ed pics are darker but what do you think about sharpness ?

Thanks

Are you using IS when on the tripod? If so, that's your problem, as it's designed to counteract movement when not using a tripod - if you combine the two, it actually detracts from sharpeness.

Cheers,
James

I should add, don't forget that all images at ISO 1600 will NOT be as sharp as those taken at lower isos, that's no fault of the lens, rather a by-product of the sensor sensitivity being ramped up.

They aren't very sharp.

Then again, at 1/15th second handheld, I wouldn't expect them to be sharp unless you have very good technique. So we can ignore them and concentrate on the tripod shots. But we still can't decide bwtween lens fault and user fault.

Can you tell us what the camera settings were? RAW or JPEG? What focal length? How did you focus? Are these the full frames or have you cropped them? What PP did you do?

IS was used on the tripod,
Shots are JPEG
250MM
AF
Full frame
No pp they are straight from the camera.

Going down to a low shutter speed, the 5.6 ap and the ISO1600..was the only way i could get the exposure right on the camera.

I would try taking some outside in daylight. You are using a combination of poor light high iso and slow shutter, I wouldnt expect them to be that sharp.
Allan

I would try taking some outside in daylight. You are using a combination of poor light high iso and slow shutter, I wouldnt expect them to be that sharp.
Allan

Fair comment, will repost tomorrow :)

Camerabox which is just up the road from me had them last week when I went and got one.. now showing as out of stock till this friday...
Victor
They're back in stock & mine is on it's way - thanks for the info Victor :banana::banana:

After checking out some pics i took none of them seem to have the sharpness that other people on here are getting the "tack sharp".
The pictures look ok when fitted to the screen but when zoomed in at 100% edges look soft.

I may be in a position to give you some advice very shortly ........... :thinking:

Back