Soggydiverdans 52... Including week 12, (but only in moderation!!)

you just had my turn my computer through 90 degrees... and I must say I agree, I didn't try any other orientation, as I just didn't think about it! re: cropping off the bottom, I didn't think of trying that, my main thought was getting the orange crunch (worst chocolate in there, by the way!!) in the middle of the shot

Thank you for the comments about 'hard' as well, I've definitely learned to take my time, and set aside a good period of time for taking the shots instead of a 'that'll do' attitude I had for the other shots in this 52.

The only problem is I now want to do more macro, and have already hit the limits of my lens... as I couldn't get any closer to anything... (tried a watch hand shot at the same time, and for the life of me couldn't get it to focus!) so on the hunt for a cheap way to do more macro work...

wow this week was tough!!

I've had a bit of a session this morning, and got a few shots I like...
I think this one is my favourite, but I'm not entirely sure!
What do you all think?

delicate3 by soggydiverdan, on Flickr

I know it's not the best of sublects
(it's my saxophone mouthpiece and reed (the most delicate bit of any woodwind instrument)
Again, I know it's not technically the best shot, however, I think i
I like it, and the light shining through the tip does show off the delicacy of the item.
I've also taken some photos of some artificial flowers, one of which I think is a better shot then this one, but I don't think it shows the theme as well...
does that make sense?

Cheers
Dan

Last edited:
Hi, Dan, I had a friend who played the sax at school and it remains to this day one of my favourite sounds!

Love the rich colours in the reed and nice touch to include the music sheet.

Very had one to judge what distance to photograph from, too close and you risk loosing it's identity, to far and you risk looking the detail.

From my work's PC the end of the reed looks totally blown out and I'd like to see the music at the end of the reed in focus/not over exposed.

I do like the darkness at the rear of the photograph.

As a matter of interest, where did you focus and where did you meter from?

Cheers.

I well agree about it being blown
That's due to my lighting choice
(torch shining down the end of the mouthpiece to make it kind of... glow and highlight how thin and fragile (and indeed, delicate!)... if that makes sense.)
I did try without, and that just didn't get the effect I wanted

I focussed on the very end of the reed, and used evaluated metering, but, as per my personal 'bit' everything bar focus was full manual:)

much more fun that way!!!

I take the comments fully on board, however I'm not sure how I can sort it, if that makes sense??

Hiya Dan,

Well I never ...... I always thought a sax was a brass instrument, so one learns something new every day.

If you hadn't explained what your pic was about I would still have been trying to figure it out now (and probably not got to sleep tonight wondering what it was) so thanks for the explanation.

I agree with the reed looking a bit 'blown', but in some way I like that because the way you have it positioned is almost like it is 'reading' the musical notes (no pun intedended there) :LOL:

Now I know what it is .... I really like this image.

Well done

Cheers

Dawn :)

P.S. Saxaphone is the one musical instrument I can listen to for hours .... and I think it is the sexiest musical instrument ever invented, so (y) to you for playing it as I understand it is also one of the hardest to learn.

Dan... if im honest your delecate image does not do anything for me... And it does not really connect in my mind to the theme! At first in fact until I read what it was I did not have a clue... as others have said it's a bit blown... but that said it's not a bad image now I know what it is... maybe a bit more of the brass of the sax in the background may have helped... a lower angle perhaps... that said... im not sure it as a subject would ever say delecate to me! I know im picky when it comes to the subjects...

Good work though!

Mark

no, that's fair enough:)

I appreciate it is a bit of an odd choice, and doesn't scream 'delicate' to most people 9unless they play/have played woodwind!

(p.s. due to my method of illumination (i.e. LED light shining inside the mouthpiece to make the reed glow) I don't think it is possible to have the tip not... blown (as it is less then a millimetre thick:))

I'll post one of my other shots for this week, I didn't like it as much, but I appreciate it is probably more in keeping with the theme for most people!

delicate2 by soggydiverdan, on Flickr

It's an artificial flower, about 4cm in diameter

**Feel the need to explain why I have random hands and artificial flowers etc in my house**

It was a show home, and came fully 'dressed'

Hiya Dan,

I am glad you explained what your 2nd image is because at first I was trying to figure it out. I can see how it fits better with the theme. I can't say it as interesting or appealing as your first image, but can see how delicate they must be.

Soooo glad you explained about all the 'odd' items you have photographed because I was starting to have serious concern for you .... what with hands and delicate balls :naughty: :LOL: :LOL::LOL::LOL: :exit:

Cheers

Dan,

I was unsure what it was until I read on a bit, it's something I think I only ever saw at school some.............years ago. It is nice & clear if a tad blown as you have said.

It's a difficult thing to light on it's own. I have struggled with gentle lighting on some of my shots too. Think I'm gonna invest in some adjustable lighting.

Mick

my apologies for not posting week before last, and last week
(don't eveen know what the topics were!)
I may not post this week, as am onl holiday in tunisia, and don't want to use all the wifi in the hotel to upload photos!!
will catch up though...
promise...
anyway
<<<<<<<<,pool:D

Hiya Dan,

I was wondering where you had got to and now we know where you are .... living it up, instead of spending quality time here on TP :LOL: Enjoy your jollies and have a drink for us (that is if there are any left :D).

Won't comment too much on the image .... although it looks like the glass has been recharged a couple of times, looking at all the fingerprints as evidence :cautious:

Look forward to seeing your posts when you get back.

Oh yes and thanks for popping in to keep us posted.

Take care

Cheers

ok...
trio...
well, I've had difficulty here...
this is the best I can offer, I know it's not very technical, and tbh is just a holiday snap with a compact... but

this is a trio of 'pirate' ships that give trips from Yasmin Hammamet in Tunisia, which were being refurbished as it's the off season here.

Also, the centre 'ship' has a trio of 'masts'

P1020479 by soggydiverdan, on Flickr

Hiya Dan,

Hope you had a fantastic jollies.

I like your trio shot, considering it is a snap with a compact (not that it should matter).

Think the image would benefit with a clone of the lower right hand corner and a tad lighten.

Otherwise well done on the take for the theme.

Cheers

ok, this is my week 11, and it was a lot harder to take then i thought it would be!!

knowledge by soggydiverdan, on Flickr

I've never attempted to take a photo of a screen before, and it was a lot harder then i expected it to be.
I appreciate the background of the devices is very dark, and also that it is not 100% in focus.

However I hope you can see what i meant it to look like!

Essentially I wanted to take a photo of the internet (as it is the universal repository of knowledge!)
and thought to use a 'smart' phone, and a 'smart' tablet to display it on
(i did also think about using my hithchikers guide to the galaxy (aka kindle) as well, however it just didn't look... right as it's not backlit and just looked too dark to read)

so no, I'm not happy with it, and would really like to have some pointers on how to improve it:)

ty
Dan

Hi Dan,
Seem to have missed your 52 weeks. I particularly like your clutter, trio and your latest 'knowledge' shot - a great idea and I like the way you have composed the shot with the two screens.

Hi Dan

great idea for Knowledge (y) I had a similar idea ( just the 'puter though) but bottled it as no real idea how to make it work !
Your shot works well for me , the word Knowledge stands out on the bigger screen & I like the background dark as no distractions . Possibly cropping a bit closer in may have helped but I'm not sure ?

Great capture (y)

Hi blondie
Thanks fir the kind comments, I did try a tighter crop, but then it would either have had the main screen off-centre, which just looked odd, or cropped off some of the smaller screen... Which again, I dont think would have worked...

ok
week 12, moderation
well, this was a tricky one1

in fact, I have three shots.
the first one was a 'huh, why not' after brewing myself a pot of coffee, and realising I had one square of chocolate left (I don't know why I'd leave a single square...) but only having one square was definitely moderation!

moderation1 by soggydiverdan, on Flickr
I like the shot, i think it is the best one of the series i took for this week.

my second two are both of the same thing.
Sadly, I had equipment limitations, so couldn't get the shot i wanted.
these two are the best of this lot.
they really speak for themselves!
This first one was taken with my 70-300mm zoom lens on macro setting, but i think it is too... tight.
sadly i couldn't get any further away, without putting the tripod on a table!!

modration2 by soggydiverdan, on Flickr

and finally, this was taken with my 18-5 kit lens, and is about as close as it could focus, but I don't like it as much!!!

moderation3 by soggydiverdan, on Flickr

what do you all think?

Hi, Dan, I do like the orange background in your chocolate moderation. Being picky, the first thing I saw was the tiny bit of chocolate near the 'G'.

OOOOOOhhh, coffeeeeee!!!

I'm going to go for the second coffee one, but I'd like to see all the handles facing south and a slightly closer crop to just inside the cup rims. Also wonder what a slight vignette would look like on this one??

I quite like your finished; just spoilt by the inclusion of the ashtray, and the obvious difficulties with exposure.

Cheers.

Hiya,
Thanks for the reply and comments, sadly I can't reshoot the chocolate shot, as I've eaten it now...

Coffee shots (sorry for the blatant rip off of your last shot re: espresso by the way)

Thanks for the comments about them, however I didn't want to get al the handles pointing the same way (I don't like too much uniformity, if that makes sense)
I did try a bit of a tighter crop, however I don't think it worked...

I will try it in a reshoot to redo these, as it would be an excuse to buy more chocolate!

Some nice shots for moderation. For me, the 1st and 2nd are best. The chocoloate shot is nice and clear and I like the orange background. Somehow it lacks interest or some spark that would catch attention.

The cups one grabs my attention more. I like the angle and the use of DOF. That little cup is definitely coffee in moderation!

Cheers, Patrick

Nice take on the moderation theme - if I had to choose I think I would go with number 2 - I particularly like the colours and the patterns.

Back