Some old and new trains

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
With nostalgia reserved for steam engines, it's worth remembering that some of the diesels that replaced them still have a life working on the mainline. The first batch of BR Class 20s are now 53 years old, but have secured work moving about 200 new Tube trains for London built in Derby. Newer locos have gauging issues around the tube network, that these locos were not. Anyway, enough waffle, now for the shots
img8687.jpg

img8743a.jpg

#3 - This spot was popular, and in #4 you'll see why (that's my mates 24-70 f2.8L, I'm super jealous)
img8760h.jpg

img8766j.jpg

I'm also going to tag some other random railway shots I've been taking lately
img8376c.jpg

Both on borrowed time, building work has started at Birmingham New Street station and the Mk3 loco-hauled set pictured here is only used when something has gone wrong (and it had)
img8423o.jpg

More to follow, all critique and comments welcomed

img8433lg.jpg

img8784l.jpg

Old meets new, and it's amazing how many cutomers believe the train on the left is brand new just because of the paint.
img8820a.jpg

img8843x.jpg

img9006v.jpg

img9015b.jpg

Number 4 is a lovely shot..

trains not really my cup of tea to be honest but love picture number 7, well done and good idea.
bazz.

Some great shots there, hard to pick a favourite though, possibly 10, 16 and 17. I notice DRS have brought a few 20's back into service :)

Spent many a weekend sat at New Street with my Father in the 80's, in the days of proper motive power! Nice to see the HST too, they still do it for me!

What's great about 16 is I spotted the potential shot whilst cycling back from work underneath that viaduct at 01:20 on Sat morning. 10 hours later and I was back to try the photo. How lucky was I with the cyclist on the towpath though??

#1,14 & 16 work well imo (y)
Can't comment on Leicester itself though,never been there :D

What a crackin' collection of railway-related photos! Speaking as an armchair railways spotter I enjoyed looking at all of them. If I was forced to choose a favourite, it's No 7 due to the way how the darkness of the tunnel very nicely framed the two train sets (and same goes for No 10).

Superb effort all round.

Another vote for number 7. Perfectly framed and timed shot. The rails in the foreground lead the eye upwards towards the two trains and even the speed restriction sign, which could so easily be a distraction, just somehow provides a balance.

I am becoming a sucker for Railway stuff,and am really starting to appreciate and enjoy it very much,these are really good and it's great to learn new info and gain greater knowledge.

Great thinking on the tunnel stuff (7),like those a lot.

Thanks for posting,Matt
Pons

Nice to see the Class 20's are still good for something even today. I liked the Leicester shot only because that's my home city but I now live 'up north'. It's changed a lot since the 80's whne there were Peaks, Class 56's, Class 20's on passenger duties and on shed.

My favourite is #7 through the tunnel at New Street.

Back