Some shots with the 500D Close-up element

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

These constitute half an hour in the garden with a piece of kit I bought a year ago and have never really bothered using. I don't really have the kit for true macro shots, so these are just close-ups. It's my first foray into this kind of photography and I am a total amateur. Let me know what you think...

closeup1.jpg

closeup2.jpg

closeup3.jpg

I love these as I don't have a proper macro lens either.
You've inspired me to try more experiments in the future. :)
I need to ask though, how did you manage to get so close to your subjects without frightening them off. I get really frustrated when this happens, but I can't imagine that people just set up on a leaf or a blade of grass and wait for something interesting to land there. :LOL:

It's the latter actually. I picked bug hotspots and basically waited there half an hour! All 3 were taken within about 3 square feet of garden! My big prize was a white butterfly but would that settle down for me... not a chance...

Thanks. I must admit that although sitting out in the garden taking these was really nice and I am pleased with the results, I'm not sure I am tempted to shell out on a true macro lens. I'm tempted to keep churning out stuff with the 500D element and see what I can get!

Nothing wrong with close-ups.............particularly when they are as good as these(y)

Does anyone actually know how the pros get their shots? As was aforementioned, I basically just had to wait for something to 'come into range'. The 500D close-up elements makes the focal distance about 50cm, meaning I have to get quite close (and yet not scare things away). Any techniques?

Does anyone actually know how the pros get their shots? As was aforementioned, I basically just had to wait for something to 'come into range'. The 500D close-up elements makes the focal distance about 50cm, meaning I have to get quite close (and yet not scare things away). Any techniques?

I'm not a pro but I get some good shots with my Canon EF 100 f/2.8 USM Macro lens and Sigma ring flash. It's all about keeping your eyes open and very gentle movements. A couple of my friends call it commando photography, not because I'm wearing no underwear but because I seem to spend a lot of my time crawling through the undergrowth on my stomach.

When I see an insect I want, if it's not one I've captured before I'll start creeping in and shoot as I go. If it then flies/hops off at least I've got something. If I've already got decent shots I'll go straight in for the close up. This can entail walking, crouching or crawling along the ground so that I'm on the same level. Once I'm around the closest focussing distance, about 6" from the end of the lens, I'll compose the shot and take it.

If it's bright sunlight or I want a shallow depth of field I use the lens on its own. If it's overcast or I want a good depth of field I use the ring flash.

Some insects are more obliging than others. The white butterflies always seem very flighty and are very difficult to capture. I spent an age chasing a hornet about a field last Sunday trying to get a shot and didn't get one, as soon as I got anywhere near it would fly off.

Back