Sony A6000

Edit My Images
Yes
Thinking of adding this , unless ive missed it, cant see a thread, any owners or ex owners offer their thoughts,
Thanks

I had one for a little while but didn't really get on with it. There's nothing bad per se and I for the first while I quite liked it but I found that the AF didn't quite live up to the hype and I wasn't a huge fan of ergonomics.

Couldn't fault the actual image quality though and I liked the EVF but overall it just wasn't for me.

Great little camera, with the 16-50 kit lens on its a good option for a 'take on a family day out' camera - small enough to fit in a coat pocket, but with decent speed and level of controls.
Just make sure you have at least one spare battery, as they don't last long :(

Expresso, was. It the accuracy if the AF that. Didnt live up to hype? Thanks

I have the A5100 and that has the same AF, Id say it does live up to the hype, its the best AF of any mirrorless Ive ever used including, Panasonic, Olly, Fuji, other Sonys.

Had the a6000, good solid little camera. The 16-50mm is okay but nothing more. If your looking to make this your main system then I would look elsewhere as Sony seemed to have stopped make lenses for cropped sensor and only focussing on Full Frame.

I just brought the a5100 (a6000 minus EVF and hotshoe) through the Amazon Prime deal for £300 as a walk about camera.

To be fair I was coming from a DSLR so that may have skewed my opinion somewhat but I just felt that it wasn't as fast or accurate as had been claimed.

I think that we need to be careful when comparing focus speed as it's always going to be a combination of camera plus lens.

There'll be specs somewhere stating focus speed and doubtless there'll be video clips of focus performance on Youtube.

Haven't tried the 6000 and have only tried the one before it (I forget the designation...) with a kit lens and focus indoors seemed to be fast and accurate and I can only imagine the 6000 being more so. Tracking may not be up to the best DSLR standard though.

There's a review at DPR...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-A6000

"If there's one area that makes the a6000 stand out from the crowd, it's the camera's improved AF system. While the 25-point contrast detect part of the system remains the same, the number of phase-detect points has increased from 99 to 179 since the NEX-6. All of those extra phase detect points give you a much wider coverage area: roughly 92% of the frame, compared to around 50%. The benefit? A wider area that lets phase detection autofocus do what it does best: track moving subjects."

"Class-leading continuous autofocus"

I think that we need to be careful when comparing focus speed as it's always going to be a combination of camera plus lens.

There'll be specs somewhere stating focus speed and doubtless there'll be video clips of focus performance on Youtube.

Haven't tried the 6000 and have only tried the one before it (I forget the designation...) with a kit lens and focus indoors seemed to be fast and accurate and I can only imagine the 6000 being more so. Tracking may not be up to the best DSLR standard though.

There's a review at DPR...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-A6000

"If there's one area that makes the a6000 stand out from the crowd, it's the camera's improved AF system. While the 25-point contrast detect part of the system remains the same, the number of phase-detect points has increased from 99 to 179 since the NEX-6. All of those extra phase detect points give you a much wider coverage area: roughly 92% of the frame, compared to around 50%. The benefit? A wider area that lets phase detection autofocus do what it does best: track moving subjects."

"Class-leading continuous autofocus"

"Class-leading continuous autofocus", as said Id agree with that, in terms of its class (CSC/mirrorless) its the best Ive used by a fair margin.

I can make the comparison as I have the fastest focusing Sony CSC A5100/6000 with 2x fast focusing lenses, its not as fast or accurate as my D750 in AFC and it doesnt AF as well in low light (0 EV vs -3.5 EV) BUT its bloody fast for a CSC and tracks very well in most light. Im not sure that one of the cheaper DSLR cameras (Xxd or Dxxxx) will have much on it at all (if anything) and tbf my D750 cost a hell of a lot more, so its not exactly a fair fight.

@woof woof If you thought the previous gen and the A7 are fast you really need to try one of these, its very impressive and I hope the A7rii is as good.

@simonblue Sony APSC finally has a few very good lenses actually, 16 2.8, 20 2.8 pancake, zeiss 24 1.8, 35 1.8 oss, 50mm 1.8 oss and theres the FE primes to make up the other FLs. Zooms you have the 10-18 f4 oss, 16-70 f4 oss and all the FE zooms would work if the FL works for you.

In fact I think the AF and IQ is that good for the money I also recently bought an A6000 to go alongside my A5100. :banana:

Last edited:
Ive just purchased the a6000 and the AF seems extremely quick and accurate. Lightweight, versatile, i much prefer it to my old Nikon D5000.
Taking it to a match this afternoon so will let you know how i get on with the AF tracking.

Cheers.

@woof woof If you thought the previous gen and the A7 are fast you really need to try one of these, its very impressive and I hope the A7rii is as good.

I've never used continuous AF. The newest DSLR's I've owned were the 20D and 5D and they weren't exactly blisteringly fast to AF, not with the lenses I had anyway but they were good and fast enough for me. I'd say that in real world non test bench use my current CSC's with their faster focusing lenses focus at least as fast and possibly faster than those DSLR's and also very probably better in low light too. As I've mentioned before, my GX7 will focus in almost total darkness. It takes time but it does it and it does it in (lack of) light far beyond a level at which my Canon's would have long since given up.

I suppose expectations have moved on. Cameras that not so long ago were SOTA would now be considered pretty useless and this makes me smile just a little when people write off more recent cameras which are possibly better.

Well, all i can say now following my test drive with the a6000 is that i am back in love with photography again.
Small, compact, lightweight and versatile. Everything i want from a camera.

At the match yesterday i found the AF to be extremely fast and accurate. Throw in 11 fps shooting and i couldnt ask for more.

I have now learned my lesson the hard way. I gave up my Nikon for the Sony A7. Whilst being a great camera the A7 just didnt fit my requirements. However, the a6000 for me, ticks all my boxes. I understand now that it is important to identify your requirements and then select your camera and equipment as opposed to me deciding i could do with a full frame unit and hope to diversify into different genres.

I am very happy with my a6000. Great purchase.

Hi Chris,
I was using the SEL 55-210.

A few eyebrows were raised when i waltzed into the ground with my tiny A6000 as they are used to me going in with a large camera bag.
Even with the 55-210 lens it is still extremely portable

I was shooting Medium 12M

Files resized to 1000 pixels

Any OOF is due to me throwing my camera around :)

Cheers
Alan

Last edited:
Got mine Friday, used over the weekend. As expected, a great camera. Easily in the top 3 of any CSC Ive used (Fuji, Panny, Olly, Sony).

Twist can you please state the models ised in the other systems and how you rate them and did you use the kit 16-50 , if so how did you find it?
Thanks

I've got an A6000 as well and love it .I was having a few issues with nailing fast dog shots which was more a lens limitation but I found that my other mistake was trying to use continuous af with single spot. I now use multi and let the camera do the work and it's much better .

Twist can you please state the models used in the other systems and how you rate them and did you use the kit 16-50 , if so how did you find it?
Thanks

Ill try remember them all but may miss out a few, it would take me ages to do mini reviews on each though. These are just the smaller large sensor cams, I wont go into DSLRs or DSLTs.

Fuji
X100
X100s
Xe1
Xa1
Xpro1
Xt1

Panasonic
G1
G2
G5
GF3
GX1

Olympus
Ep1
Epl3
Epl5
Em5
Em10

Sony
Nex3
Nex3c
Nex5
Nex6
A5000
A5100
A6000

A7
A7s

* The models in red have been my favourites from each manufacturer.

Lol OMG
Thought i was bad with guitars;)
Thats quite a list lol,
Dam now im thinking about it with all the positive reviews
Grrrrrr

Lol OMG
Thought i was bad with guitars;)
Thats quite a list lol,
Dam now im thinking about it with all the positive reviews
Grrrrrr

Ha ha. I like cameras. I dont actually keep them all though, use em for a while (depending on how much I like them) then make way for something new. :eek:

Its a great camera and at the moment a bit of a steal.

Gary Fong loves it,and one can use nikon lenses with adaptor yes?

Correct, but you cant change aperture with lenses that have only electric aperture (no manual aperture ring). As the Nikon adapters dont have electric contacts. Ive seen rumors of one being produced but not sure just how good it is.

I think you lose a lot of the focusing ability also with an adapter, even the fancy built in af adapter isn't as quick as native fit lenses I believe.

I wanted to get the Sony 70-200mm because it has dual focus motors but it's a little expensive for my current use requirements . Need some decent ultrasonic lenses to come out to make full use of the af system I reckon.

Nikon mount adapters are dumb, there will be no AF. Theres always the 70-200 FE via LAEA4. The native lenses are as good as it will get.

LAEA4 lets you use Sony A mount lenses and Minolta lenses with fast AF but limited focus point spread.

Last edited:
Thanks Graham,ill still have my Nikon body so ok here.but i guess lenses is what Sony need to get more out i guess.

Reserved at John Lewis,choice of black or sliver,
Mind you i also had the Xpro1 reserved and never picked it up lol

Thanks Graham,ill still have my Nikon body so ok here.but i guess lenses is what Sony need to get more out i guess.

E mount is well catered for, especially APSC (A7 not so much), you get to use all of Sonys E mount and FE lenses of which there are a lot, plus LAEA4 gives access to all of A mount, I seriously doubt anyone couldnt find something to use in that lot.

Back