Sony A6000

I use the Sigma 30mm as the sole lens on my A6000 - delighted with it although I have been considering the 19mm for wider indoor stuff. Brilliantly sharp and relatively inexpensive. Good for environmental portraits and more general stuff. Used exclusively indoors by me and don't find the 2.8 limiting.
Strap wise, I've got a Gordy's wrist strap. Bag - never used one.

Last edited:
I was looking to add a prime or two to my A5100 kit lens setup. Would you recommend the Sony 35 and 50 or should I give the Sigma 19 30 and 60 a consideration? I am mainly looking to capture family moments be it indoors at home or when out and about. The ease of picking up the Sony has made me want to invest in the prime for when the kit lens doesn't cut it in low light and some extra bokeh :)

Anyone got a small bag recommendation for the Sony?

I also narrowed down the strap to the Peak Design Cuff to go with the Slide I have for my Nikon stuff.

35 and 50 are obvious choices because you also shoot video, faster aperture and OSS makes a big difference. Also, the Sony lenses will use all the PDAF points, the Sigma lenses dont. For a few more quid I went for the Sony lenses.

Would this card be fine for shooting 60p video? I read that it has to be 64gb and class 10.

@Fozzybear I purchased this one the other day. I did consider the Transcend but have had issues in the past. The Kingston one was mentioned on a few Sony blogs I read and comes close to the Sandisk offerings.

@Fozzybear I purchased this one the other day. I did consider the Transcend but have had issues in the past. The Kingston one was mentioned on a few Sony blogs I read and comes close to the Sandisk offerings.

Sounds good. I have a 32gb version of that Kingston card and it seems fine.

I shot a drama performance last night with my A6K and mainly 50/1.8. I haven't edited them yet but on first impression they look good with low noise and sharp focus. I also grabbed a few shots of our new pup Rosie today with the same combo;

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1452978658.967571.jpg

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1452978669.068799.jpg

Quick iPhone edits.

Cheers
Steve

^nice pup.

I'm just wondering if anyone uses the 18-105 f4 with the A6000. How fast is the focus? Is it usable for fast moving objects?

Thanks, she's growing fast. I spent a couple of days in Rome last week with work and the A6000 is a great travel landscape setup. I took it with my Samyang 12mm and Sony 50/1.8 in a small bag along with my Yashica 635 tlr and a Manfrotto Pixi tripod. Apart from forgetting to disable long exposure noise reduction (it is now!) I'm happy with the results;

1) Samyang 12mm

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1453674200.101840.jpg

2) Samyang 12mm

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1453674217.191558.jpg

3) Sony 50/1.8

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1453674235.300230.jpg

4) Samyang 12mm

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1453674259.745765.jpg

These have only been edited on my iPhone on the plane but I'm happy with the results.

I've just been testing a lightweight Jessops AFDC flashgun on my A6K for some fill flash when I'm shooting a wedding on Sunday. The A6K happily shoots up to 1/250th with no shadow from the shutter which is better than I ever got from my Canon kit :0)

Grabbed this shot of my wife testing makeup for a fancy dress party over the weekend. 50mm 1.8, 1/250 @F3.2 Iso100 with the flashgun bounced from the wall to the right of camera. Not bad for an on camera flash and a bit of iPhone editing!

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1455220305.570973.jpg

The image upload has compressed it but the original shows details in her eyelashes and pores!

Full image in Dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o4i2r1tzq22ayh9/File 11-02-2016, 20 02 51.jpeg?dl=0

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
I'd be very interested to see how you find it copes with the af speed of the camera as I'm finding the other lenses can't keep up.

I've only tested it around the house this morning but AF speed seems to be more than a match for the body. I'll see how it handles lower light later on because that's normally where the AF performance of all mirrorless bodies starts to drop with reduced contrast but so far it looks very nice.

I think the A6000 only has a small amount of contrast detection points with a large amount being the faster phase detection. Not sure which type is better in low light though?

I think the A6000 only has a small amount of contrast detection points with a large amount being the faster phase detection. Not sure which type is better in low light though?

Switches to contrast detect at lower levels so becomes slower.

Thought I'd get this thread back onto page 1. I don't shoot a lot of telephoto work so haven't invested in anything long term even though the 70-200/4 I hired was very nice. I've used the 55-210 a few times which also delivers good results for less outlay but I now just use an old OM mount push/pull Tokina 80-200/4 which cost about £10 :0) Its lens coating obviously isn't as good as the native lenses so it flares like a D750 in cross light... However, if the lighting is good it delivers pretty good results for the cost.

1) Slightly cropped to remove a bit of the left side and top of the image. Shot at 200mm, f5.6 1/125 iso250

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1457970002.451823.jpg

2) Cropped screen grab taken from my phone (I was walking around Chester zoo yesterday editing as I went)

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1457970037.202828.jpg

Obviously these are both resized by the forum to upload but the original gives good detail within a reasonable crop especially considering this is a £10 lens.

Thinking about picking up an 18-105 f4, the extra range would be nice along with fixed aperture. Got a VPR1 which will make using it with the Ronin a lot easier once I find a decent way to mount it. It can control zoom so the 18-105's Power Zoom would be a nice feature as well.

So far still using the 18-50 kit lens, but the front optic now has metal lodged in it from filming welding/grinding.

I'll admit I hate using this camera for stills though, but it that's more because I'm so used to the 5D3 rather than its bad.

image.jpeg Out for a walk today. was a little nervous leaving the washing on the line with this bad boy making its way over.
Batis 85 on a6000

I have noticed something annoying about the A6000 and wondered if others have had this problem and found a way around it. I have started using an A6000 after using a DSLR which when on a day out using the camera I would leave it switched on hangung around my neck, now with the A6000 I do the same but when I come to take a photo find that the back dial has been rotated against my body and the aperture and often the exp comp have been adjusted and I have had a few photos taken with the settings way off as a resukt of this. I don't want to have to turn the camera off and on all the time and can't find an option to disable the dial.
Any suggestions of a solution?

I have noticed something annoying about the A6000 and wondered if others have had this problem and found a way around it. I have started using an A6000 after using a DSLR which when on a day out using the camera I would leave it switched on hangung around my neck, now with the A6000 I do the same but when I come to take a photo find that the back dial has been rotated against my body and the aperture and often the exp comp have been adjusted and I have had a few photos taken with the settings way off as a resukt of this. I don't want to have to turn the camera off and on all the time and can't find an option to disable the dial.
Any suggestions of a solution?

Personally I would turn it off whenever not using it in order to save the battery and avoid what's happening to you. Doesn't take a anytime to turn off and on.

Got my A6000 about 2 weeks ago. Having great fun with the 30mm macro. Not as sharp as my Canon 100mm macro but it's great get really close up to things.

Are people still enjoying their A6000 as much as they did to begin with? I'm still learning mine. The menu system isn't the best. Bit of a mish-mash but the camera makes up for that :)

Are people still enjoying their A6000 as much as they did to begin with? I'm still learning mine. The menu system isn't the best. Bit of a mish-mash but the camera makes up for that :)

It's a great little camera and I got to learn the menu soon enough.
The evf is the big let down for me though.

[QUOTE="addicknchips, post: 7453215, member: 19339"
The evf is the big let down for me though.[/QUOTE]

Really, why? It's better than a lot of equivalent M4/3rd and Fuji cameras I've used before I bought it.

[QUOTE="addicknchips, post: 7453215, member: 19339"
The evf is the big let down for me though.

Really, why? It's better than a lot of equivalent M4/3rd and Fuji cameras I've used before I bought it.[/QUOTE]

Just very hazy to me. Perhaps I'm spoilt as use a7rii and X-t1 which are far better evfs. But the a6000 evf really made me enjoy the camera less.

I'm not surprised that the XT1 and A7rii EVFs are better though when you consider the cost of each of them against the A6K. I think that against it's direct competitors' it's the best one out there but each to their own.

Fair enough, that's what forums are for, to get different opinions. Personally, I wouldn't let it put off prospective new buyers and regularly use it with manual focus glass.

I only use the evf in bright sunshine. For me it's just fine.

Is there a way to look at the screen and have the exposure compensation line showing?

Is there a way to look at the screen and have the exposure compensation line showing?

I think in manual it should show a + or - with a number to show you if you are over or under exposing. I don't have the camera anymore to check I'm afraid.

It will depend on what view you have set up in the EVF or screen.

I have EVF to show the exposure line on the bottom - in that case there is a little pointer above the line which shows the exposure comp.
The Back screen I have for information (I almost always use EVF to compose, so don't have it showing live view), and to the right of the exposure line it shows the exposure comp as a number.

From what I can see it looks like you have the choice of 4 displays on the screen. Apart from the all black one where you use the evf only, it looks like the rest have a little symbol that goes + or -

Great camera but I still feel the focus system is let down by the lenses. I'm getting a full frame itch again also!

That is how mine is set up with a "second" screen showing a histogram

Last edited:
For me, one of the great aspects of this camera is the degree of customisation - given the number of buttons that can be assigned, along with the Fn menu, I find I rarely (never?) have to go in to the menu system proper.

As an aside, does anyone else find that their 16-50 can take a few seconds to burst into life, especially if it hasn't been used for a day or two?
My camera has been updated to the latest software but I find the start-up with this lens (only) as lengthy as ever. Grateful for comment, thanks.

As an aside, does anyone else find that their 16-50 can take a few seconds to burst into life, especially if it hasn't been used for a day or two?
My camera has been updated to the latest software but I find the start-up with this lens (only) as lengthy as ever. Grateful for comment, thanks.

Normal

Yes, it can take a moment or two to sort itself out - sometimes has a similar delay when powering off.

Back