Sony A6000

I keep looking at this along with the RX100 III/IV. I want a pocket camera but the autofocus on these seem insane. Want something that can pick-up, shoot or record the toddler and put down again. Touch screen would have been the icing on the cake.

I keep looking at this along with the RX100 III/IV. I want a pocket camera but the autofocus on these seem insane. Want something that can pick-up, shoot or record the toddler and put down again. Touch screen would have been the icing on the cake.

Get an A5100 then. Ive had both and the A5100 is better for video in terms of focus (touch screen is fantastic for tracking). Lack of EVF and physical controls may be an issue or may not, but thats more for stills anyway.

This is more a family camera. I have the D750 for anything more than family memories. I just want to hand the OH the camera and let her capture away in the holidays, pair with her phone and send onto family and make small photo books. I will have a look into the A5100 also then. It just need to be small to fit into the baby bag or left on the mantle piece.

Last edited:
This is more a family camera. I have the D750 for anything more than family memories. I just want to hand the OH the camera and let her capture away in the holidays, pair with her phone and send onto family and make small photo books. I will have a look into the A5100 also then.

A5100 will be perfect, my other half wont touch the A6000 even though essentially its the same camera in terms of performance, but its bigger and has more controls. Its the first of the cameras Ive bought her that she loves, using the touch AF and shutter release makes it so simple. The A6000 takes to many button presses to change AF points, especially with video. Shes had Olys M43, Panys M43, NEX, RX100 etc and she wasnt happy with any of them.

Shame you missed the Amazon lightning deals, were going for 295 in kit. They may have them up again this week.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight into your OH's camera history :) It seems the A5100 is more 'phone' like and gets the job done and beats any teeny weeny phone sensor that so many adore!

Thanks for the insight into your OH's camera history :) It seems the A5100 is more 'phone' like and gets the job done and beats any teeny weeny phone sensor that so many adore!

Thats exactly how Id put it.

@redlion The other nice thing the A5100 has for video over the A6000 is a smooth powerzoom lever on the front of the shutter release, so you can zoom via the grip or zoom via that lever which is much quieter and smoother when it zooms, so the inbuilt mic doesnt pick up the lens noise and you dont get that staggered zooming.

sony-a5100-top.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks @twist. Having read up more on the A5100 it seems good for my intended purpose. Some decent photos on flickr and videos on vimeo shot with it. Which additional lens would you suggest? The 35 1.8? The kit lens should suffice but always nice to get some creative stuff with a faster lens and retire the D750 for when really needed. The A6000 seems ideal for me but seeing as sharing this camera the A5100 hits the sweet spot.

Thanks @twist. Having read up more on the A5100 it seems good for my intended purpose. Some decent photos on flickr and videos on vimeo shot with it. Which additional lens would you suggest? The 35 1.8? The kit lens should suffice but always nice to get some creative stuff with a faster lens and retire the D750 for when really needed. The A6000 seems ideal for me but seeing as sharing this camera the A5100 hits the sweet spot.

Yup, I have the 35 and 50, 35 is a better FL on crop for me but the 50 is dirt cheap so got it also.

I will await the camera first and then give it a run through with her before ordering any primes for 'myself'.

She had wanted a camcorder but this hybrid will do nicely.

Anything will be better than her Lumia phone. I came across this app for her which will allow her to grab images from the camera and send to the family.

It is weird how I had looked for something for ages and the TP community push me towards this. The lightening deal just cushioned the blow.

Last edited:
Had mine arrive today. I'm a 7D user with a few nice lenses, but wanted something a little more compact to walk about with and use on family occasions. I had looked at the obvious EOS M3, but too many poor reviews and lack of viewfinder, ongoing autofocus and slow fps pushed me towards the a6000. £100 cashback helped the deal as well.

Does anyone know what strap this is?

Hoping the A5100 serves me well. Still awaiting Amazon to deliver it.

@twist to the rescue again making me spend more ;) cheers for the link. looks decent and good value. It is either this or the peakdesign cuff.

I should really hold off on any more Sony accessories until it gets approved by the OH!

@twist to the rescue again making me spend more ;) cheers for the link. looks decent and good value. It is either this or the peakdesign cuff.

I should really hold off on any more Sony accessories until it gets approved by the OH!

Thatll be $50 plus the VAT, duty, handling etc. So more like $80 if it doesnt slip through customs.

I better close all the links and just sit in the corner awaiting any delivery! Will stick to the cheap and cheerful option.

Lightning deal on 5100 c/w lens starts again in 16 minutes

Picked up the A6k and 16-50 lens today before the double cash back runs out. All I've noticed so far is that it takes ages to charge and you do it inside the camera, and they don't give you a body/lens cap! It's also quite weird to have a camera that's lens moves on its own!

Picked up the A6k and 16-50 lens today before the double cash back runs out. All I've noticed so far is that it takes ages to charge and you do it inside the camera, and they don't give you a body/lens cap! It's also quite weird to have a camera that's lens moves on its own!

The lack of an external charger is a pain, i'd suggest picking up one of these from amazon (£6.97)
They also do batterys for under a tenner
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro-NP-F...?ie=UTF8&qid=1449323442&sr=8-12&keywords=fw50

Pick up an aftermarket charger from Amazon. I bought a double charger with 2 batteries for less than £20 to take away on holiday with me.

^^beat me to it!

Last edited:
Okay, next problems! Can't test XAVC-S video without buying a 64Gb SDXC card, and the remote app doesn't support video function, which is pretty big thing as I want to use it with a gimbal.

So, it might be going back, as I don't really want to buy an external HDMI monitor when I have a better solution for my 5D3, and even with that I'd still have to touch the camera to adjust settings.

Will test it a little more but probably should have done a bit more research before buying I guess.

After a lot of umming and ahhing, I've finally decided to get an A6000. The only question is - black or silver.

I actually think the silver looks quite nice especially with black lenses.

I'm going to struggle using the viewfinder when wearing my glasses. There's just no 'give' in the eyepiece. I'm going to end up using live view more than I wanted.

I guess I can always flip my glasses up when using the viewfinder. Not ideal.

I recently picked up the A5100 which has the same sensor and been highly impressed with the AF speed. It eerily tracks all over the screen. I didn't think I would like it but as a family camera it proved far more useful over Xmas than the my Nikon D750 as anyone could use it and the ease at tapping the screen to grab moments for them was priceless.

I recently picked up the A5100 which has the same sensor and been highly impressed with the AF speed. It eerily tracks all over the screen. I didn't think I would like it but as a family camera it proved far more useful over Xmas than the my Nikon D750 as anyone could use it and the ease at tapping the screen to grab moments for them was priceless.

Yup, fast and responsive touch AF seems like a gimmick but its a very strong point.

I was looking to add a prime or two to my A5100 kit lens setup. Would you recommend the Sony 35 and 50 or should I give the Sigma 19 30 and 60 a consideration? I am mainly looking to capture family moments be it indoors at home or when out and about. The ease of picking up the Sony has made me want to invest in the prime for when the kit lens doesn't cut it in low light and some extra bokeh :)

Anyone got a small bag recommendation for the Sony?

I also narrowed down the strap to the Peak Design Cuff to go with the Slide I have for my Nikon stuff.

Back