Kev
Edit My Images
Yes
Stream here -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6krHQ9qNa-Q

More details here.

aAbc7Nl.jpg

Last edited:
From DPReview: "new 24.2MP CMOS, 4K movies w 2.4x oversampling, 11 fps with af/ae tracking, 425 phase detect AF points."

Lenses announced:

RMvwqet.jpg

70-200 f2.8 GM OSS - available in Europe in May 2016 with pricing still to be confirmed.
85mm f1.4 GM -
24-70 f2.8 GM

"The new FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Standard Zoom and 85mm F1.4 GM Telephoto prime lenses will be available in Europe in March 2016 priced at approximately €2,400 (SEL2470GM) and €2,000 (SEL85F14GM)."

Wayyyy out of my price range.

Last edited:
yep I called 2k for the 24-70 its going to have to be a different level for that money

I doubt you'll get much change out of £2500 for the 70-200 GM OSS either. Impressively small size for a 2.8 though.

Gasp, £7k for a 2470 / 70200 and A7rii. Good luck.

To disrupt the market they could have priced it competitively but have priced many out. The A6300 on the other hand might tempt me to finally separate my photo and video needs.

To disrupt the market they could have priced it competitively but have priced many out. The A6300 on the other hand might tempt me to finally separate my photo and video needs.

No IBIS for me is a dealbreaker. All those features and shaky output. What a shame.

A6300 body - $1000

or

1250 euros in Europe. That's equivalent to $1382 or £948. :eek:

Last edited:
Just compared the size and weight of the 70-200 f2.8 GM OSS to the similar Nikon.

Sony - 88.0 x 200 mm & 52.21oz

Nikon - 87 x 205.5mm & 54.3oz.

Just over 1/2cm shorter & 2oz lighter. I thought it looked smaller than that.

Just compared the size and weight of the 70-200 f2.8 GM OSS to the similar Nikon.

Sony - 88.0 x 200 mm & 52.21oz

Nikon - 87 x 205.5mm & 54.3oz.

Just over 1/2cm shorter & 2oz lighter. I thought it looked smaller than that.

They are pretty big lenses that need chunky body with good hand grip. That's the way its going I'm afraid.

It is however very nice to see the electronics developing so fast. The AF tracking video is very impressive.

What is IBIS?!? Seeing prices, think I'll knock the idea if buying a Sony on the head! Fuji looks nice.... :)

£7k. The mirrorless bodies should be cheaper as there is less moving parts and no pentraprisms. Why are full frame mirrorless cameras so dear?

Exactly. The manufacturers clearly think people are stupid. That's the main reason they push mirrorless, not because of the size or other 'benefits' they want people to believe.

£7k. The mirrorless bodies should be cheaper as there is less moving parts and no pentraprisms. Why are full frame mirrorless cameras so dear?

Lenses are still as expensive. Electronics cost the same. Mirror and pentaprism are probably a couple hundred; EVIL VF is not free either. The rest is RD, marketing and profits.

Lenses are still as expensive. Electronics cost the same. Mirror and pentaprism are probably a couple hundred; EVIL VF is not free either. The rest is RD, marketing and profits.

RD yes but economies of scale a mirrorless camera is a lot cheaper to manufacturer than say a D5 or D810.

I'd assume these lens are very good performers for that outlay.

All I know after trying an A7r is I was straight onto the classifieds to get another D800.

The lack of touch screen along with IBIS is unforgivable when they touting it for video. They probably have another camera above maybe?! For now my interest is cooled. Getting a few A6000s on the cheap may be the better route.

The lack of touch screen along with IBIS is unforgivable when they touting it for video. They probably have another camera above maybe?! For now my interest is cooled. Getting a few A6000s on the cheap may be the better route.

Agreed. Seems like they are holding back a little..

RD yes but economies of scale a mirrorless camera is a lot cheaper to manufacturer than say a D5 or D810.
Nikon succeed in selling more D810s than Sony sells A7, so economies of scale mean Canikon can be more aggressive in pricing and still make profit. So Sony either have to charge more or reduce their profit in the hope of winning market share.

Sony 500mm f4 = £9,999
Nikon 500mm f4 = £8,149
Canon 500mm f4 = £6,899

Wowzer!!!

I have just seen the prices! My jaw is welded to the floor. Jeepers!!! In fact I find it almost insulting to think that we are going to have to pay that sort of money if we want one of their lenses.

No IBIS and no touch screen.. what were they thinking? - Probably something along the lines of let's milk the consumers again next year

I did see a rumour for an A6000 type camera with 33 or 36Mpx and IBIS to be released in the summer so it may still come.

Oh dear Sony still proving schizophrenic over their lenses, infact I'm gonna apply for a job there as they must take on anyone.

Last edited:
Back