Sony A6300 & lenses announced

Oh dear Sony still proving schizophrenic over their lenses, infact I'm gonna apply for a job there as they must take on anyone.
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Wowzer!!!

I have just seen the prices! My jaw is welded to the floor. Jeepers!!! In fact I find it almost insulting to think that we are going to have to pay that sort of money if we want one of their lenses.

Andy is that why your gear is in the classifieds or another reason mate?

Ah no worries I just thought that you had turned your back on the system or had another camera etc mate

I will soon but not sure what yet :wacky:

Disappointing to see that the A6300 has a max mechanical shutter speed of 1/4000.

We've seen a string of top end CSC's around £1,000 or so... GX8, Pen F, Fuji Xpro2.

Crazy lens prices, I would want full frame glass for that kind of money, its performance still can't touch a Nikon D810 + 24-70 but you want me a to pay a lot more. Jog on I think .. Disappointing as I have been getting on well with my 6000 which I use as a back up camera.

Crazy lens prices, I would want full frame glass for that kind of money, its performance still can't touch a Nikon D810 + 24-70 but you want me a to pay a lot more. Jog on I think .. Disappointing as I have been getting on well with my 6000 which I use as a back up camera.
What lenses are you talking about? If it's the new G lenses they are FF.

Disappointing to see that the A6300 has a max mechanical shutter speed of 1/4000.
I'm not sure I've ever used 1/8000 on any of my cameras (or very rarely). But then, bright midday sun is not particularly flattering for portraits.

The A6300 looks amazing mostly for the autofocus system. I just wish they'd produce some more suitable E-mount lenses. 24/1.4 OSS anyone?

the 24-70 is the only one thats lighter than dslr, but its bigger and 82mm thread

70200 is similer size and weight to dslr ones, 85mm even heavier than some dslr ones

but sony only cares about fe, rx and then apsc e mount

they seemingly dont give a s*** about a mount :|

I'm not sure I've ever used 1/8000 on any of my cameras (or very rarely). But then, bright midday sun is not particularly flattering for portraits.

The A6300 looks amazing mostly for the autofocus system. I just wish they'd produce some more suitable E-mount lenses. 24/1.4 OSS anyone?

That would be a nice lens to have

If you're an f8 and be there kind of guy it's not an issue. And no, I wouldn't normally shoot a portrait at f1.4 to f2.8 but I often point my camera at other things and at other distances than tight head and shoulder portrait distance.

My main complaint is juggling ND's is a PITA I'd rather avoid by having up to 1/8000 available.

Last edited:
Any chance the X-PRO2 using the same sensor in the Sony A6300? Both using copper wiring and both have the same expandable ISO range at the top end.

Last edited:
Any chance the X-PRO2 using the same sensor in the Sony A6300? Both using copper wiring and both have the same expandable ISO range at the top end.

Maybe it is, although it's a one trick Af pony in the Sony and a fully fledged extremely ergonomic system in the Fuji.
Pay your money take your choice.

I will wait and hope more members can buy this camera and put it in actual use in real world, and i would be interested in seeing how this camera is responsive for movements and actions say sports in general, this could be the body i am waiting for, 7D2 isn't that 100% trustworthy reliable to me and i can't just take those who are super happy with it when there are some still have issues or had issues and sent to service and fixed. Also 1DXII isn't that much appealing to me and it is expensive and i may not able to wait much longer for backup body, and this camera A6300 price sounds more affordable, only the issue is to buy a native lens if i want maximum reliable focus for actions, who knows, i will wait and see.

Maybe it is, although it's a one trick Af pony in the Sony and a fully fledged extremely ergonomic system in the Fuji.
Pay your money take your choice.
Oh dear... why on earth do people feel the need to do this?

There's choice in the market... be happy :D no need to get into Fuji v Sony wars as I'm sure there are many reasons to choose either over the other.

Just noticed that they haven't put IBIS in this camera, I wonder if this would have affected the camera size?

Just noticed that they haven't put IBIS in this camera, I wonder if this would have affected the camera size?

Yes, it usually makes them bigger, the A6k is quite thin, I think they wouldve ran into overheating. At one point rumours were pointing to that very reason it was taking so long to release. 4k + IBIS = heat

Does anyone reckon the price of the 70-200mm f4 will come down in price? Would love this lens but for my needs it's too much money to justify it

Does anyone reckon the price of the 70-200mm f4 will come down in price? Would love this lens but for my needs it's too much money to justify it

Doubt it, its priced about right vs the competition, plus the 2.8 will be ridiculously expensive so its for a whole different market. They run alongside each other, it hasnt been replaced.

the 24-70 is the only one thats lighter than dslr, but its bigger and 82mm thread

70200 is similer size and weight to dslr ones, 85mm even heavier than some dslr ones

but sony only cares about fe, rx and then apsc e mount

they seemingly dont give a s*** about a mount :|

To an extent that's a reason (along with shonky mechanical quality in the Zeiss 16-80) I've gone Nikon FF, at least in parallel.

Wasn't the A6000 the best selling CSC? And I assume most people just buy the camera and kit lens bundle? And A series sales are I gather tiny?

I do know that lack of kit is annoying but us geeks are a relatively small market and despite what we think I'm pretty sure that Sony know better than us what makes them money.

Sad realities I'm affraid.

Wasn't the A6000 the best selling CSC? And I assume most people just buy the camera and kit lens bundle? And A series sales are I gather tiny?

I do know that lack of kit is annoying but us geeks are a relatively small market and despite what we think I'm pretty sure that Sony know better than us what makes them money.

Do you mean Sonys best selling CSC or the worlds best selling CSC? A mount is pretty much dead, some countrys have stopped stocking it, its behind Pentax in Japan in terms of sales so that says something.

We are the target audience for their imaging department, if the consumer doesnt feel like they get what they want/need then the business suffers, doesnt matter how much they think they know whats best for their business. Money talks.

BCNranking.jpg

Last edited:
Just noticed that the A6300 will use all of its phase detection points when using the LA-EA3 adapter. Could this mean that hooking up an A Mount SSM lens will actually take full advantage of the camera's focusing system? Something which I feel is lacking with the A6000 because the available lenses don't seem to be able to keep up with the focusing system, with perhaps the 70-200mm f4 being the best choice due to having dual motors?

Small image sample gallery here.

Is that really the best they can come up with?

they have done so very little with a mount for years and don't advertise it, so no surprise the sales aren't there.

the rx series and qx where done because the head guy wanted them, just him. So he could of pulled resources from a mount stuff when it was still doing ok.

and e mount is better if u want slow kit lens on crop body, but not a wide selection of fast glass on crop.

fe gets all the love, but if they made equal spec a mount stuff in ff....

they have done so very little with a mount for years and don't advertise it, so no surprise the sales aren't there.

the rx series and qx where done because the head guy wanted them, just him. So he could of pulled resources from a mount stuff when it was still doing ok.

and e mount is better if u want slow kit lens on crop body, but not a wide selection of fast glass on crop.

fe gets all the love, but if they made equal spec a mount stuff in ff....

Don't lose all hope. I'm actually very tempted by the A6000 series as a replacement for my MFT and it's only the lack of a compact 24mm f1.8 in line with the 35 and 50's they have that stops me. It's a shame for A series users though I do agree. Unfortunately this isn't the only system to look neglected but at least it's not dead and buried yet as others have been... four thirds, Samsung DSLR etc.

Back