Sony A6300 & lenses announced

Some better image samples from the 85mm f1.4 here - Camera Labs (click through to Flickr and zoom). They look much better than the ones on DPReview.

Some better image samples from the 85mm f1.4 here - Camera Labs (click through to Flickr and zoom). They look much better than the ones on DPReview.
I'm sure the guys in the A7 owners thread would appreciate you posting the link in that thread.

Last edited:
I am pretty uninspired by the announcement. I have an a6000 and the Sony-Zeiss 24 1.8. and love the combo. I guess if I was in to video the a6300 would hold more appeal.

Don't lose all hope. I'm actually very tempted by the A6000 series as a replacement for my MFT and it's only the lack of a compact 24mm f1.8 in line with the 35 and 50's they have that stops me. It's a shame for A series users though I do agree. Unfortunately this isn't the only system to look neglected but at least it's not dead and buried yet as others have been... four thirds, Samsung DSLR etc.

lae3 and the a mount 35mm, 30mm macro or 50mm "easy choice" lenses might be decent option, the 50mm wieghs nothing and covers full frame unoffically. i have a sigma 24mm probably 2.8 A mount but manual focus auto apature.

sigma do 19? 30 and 60, but 2.8

probably one & the same. Iirc Sony are the no.1 CSC vendor on a global basis (the image that you posted is for the Japanese market only & even then based only on the outlets that that survey organisation covers).
You all may find the following article an interesting read re. the new lenses. http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2016/02/04/sonys-master-plan-new-85-24-70-70-200-and-more/

I did say it was Japan in the post and at atleast they are factual figures for a region that buy a lot of small cameras. Alan referred specifically to the a6000 as being world's best seller. Do you have any figures to back that up?

I am pretty uninspired by the announcement. I have an a6000 and the Sony-Zeiss 24 1.8. and love the combo. I guess if I was in to video the a6300 would hold more appeal.
Like some other recent new cameras part of the update seems to be better build which of course may not matter to those who don't insist on a metal body and are happy with the adequate build of the older models.

I did say it was Japan in the post
No, you didn't. You said "Do you mean Sonys best selling CSC or the worlds best selling CSC? A mount is pretty much dead, some countrys have stopped stocking it, its behind Pentax in Japan in terms of sales so that says something.".
A-mount cameras are not CSCs so not sure why they were brought in. You gave no attribution to where the image/figures came from & there is nothing on the image that tells you where it covers .

and at atleast they are factual figures for a region that buy a lot of small cameras. Alan referred specifically to the a6000 as being world's best seller. Do you have any figures to back that up?
There are certainly figures showing Sony as the no.1 global CSC supplier (no, I don't have them to hand but they are out there if you search - I'll give you a starter http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/the-final-2015-shipment.html "Put another way, Canon and Nikon still share over 70% of the ILC market. The next closest competitor isn’t even at half of #2 Nikon’s market share (that would be Sony, by the way).") .
& apparently Sony have said "The Alpha A6000, says its maker, is not only the best-selling mirrorless camera to date". http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-a6300/sony-a6300A.HTM
I have not sat through the whole A6300 launch video to see exactly what they said as it doesn't particularly interest me.

Last edited:
Writes amateurish intro, then has a pop at bloggers. Wierd.
It's perhaps understandable that he is annoyed if you know the full back story albeit I think that he should have taken a step back, counted to 10 & then deleted that preamble. However, it was the thinking on the lenses that I thought would be of interest.

He has since added another article on the lens technology http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2016/02/05/sonys-precision-aspherics/

Last edited:
No, you didn't. You said "Do you mean Sonys best selling CSC or the worlds best selling CSC? A mount is pretty much dead, some countrys have stopped stocking it, its behind Pentax in Japan in terms of sales so that says something.".
A-mount cameras are not CSCs so not sure why they were brought in. You gave no attribution to where the image/figures came from & there is nothing on the image that tells you where it covers.

My reply in bold was followed by the statistics from the region I mentioned, why would I post Germanys stats after I mention Japan. See the bit that says Ricoh in the table under DSLR (A mount)?

The reason A mount came into it was because Alan asked about A mount sales. Go back and read his post.

And A series sales are I gather tiny?

Im quite surprised the A6000 is the best selling CSC after looking at the Japanese market, their stats usually give a good indicator of what the trends are elsewhere. With a 10%+ drop compared to previous figures I wonder if Sony were basing their figures on the latest stats or the figures just before the drop.

Last edited:
My reply in bold was followed by the statistics from the region I mentioned, why would I post Germanys stats after I mention Japan. See the bit that says Ricoh in the table under DSLR (A mount)?
Nobody mentioned Germany ;). You initially mentioned the world - with no indication of the source of the figures or the area that they covered one could very easily think that they related to that. Iirc BCN doesn't count A-mount sales as DSLRs as they class DSLTs as mirrorless - which again, unless you know this, can give a skewed impression (in both categories).

Im quite surprised the A6000 is the best selling CSC after looking at the Japanese market, their stats usually give a good indicator of what the trends are elsewhere.
I would disagree with you on that, imo the Japanese camera market is unique & you can't project from it to the rest of the world. Olympus & Pentax ILCs do well in Japan (as do Casio in their market sector but whose cameras are no longer imported into the USA or UK) but less so elsewhere.
http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/regional-cameras.html

Nobody mentioned Germany ;). You initially mentioned the world - with no indication of the source of the figures or the area that they covered one could very easily think that they related to that. Iirc BCN doesn't count A-mount sales as DSLRs as they class DSLTs as mirrorless - which again, unless you know this, can give a skewed impression (in both categories).

I would disagree with you on that, imo the Japanese camera market is unique & you can't project from it to the rest of the world. Olympus & Pentax ILCs do well in Japan (as do Casio in their market sector but whose cameras are no longer imported into the USA or UK) but less so elsewhere.
http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/regional-cameras.html

:rolleyes: No (whoosh), I clearly mentioned Japan in my quote and Pentax and A mount, followed by the stats for that region below it. Then BCN need to sort out their classification, but doesnt that also make Sonys mirrorless figures look better than they actually are, considering they are including DSLT?

Your link shows the US & EU mirrorless sales arent hugley different, swinging 3-4% either way between the US / JP / EU. I dont mind, we can disagree. (y)

Last edited:
:rolleyes: No (whoosh), I clearly mentioned Japan in my quote and Pentax and A mount, followed by the stats for that region below it.
You also mentioned the world first. There is no indication given as to where the stats cover or from whom they are drawn (& BCN only covers ~50% of Japanese sales iirc).
Then BCN need to sort out their classification, but doesnt that also make Sonys mirrorless figures look better than they actually are, considering they are including DSLT?
As long as they make clear how they classify (& they probably do in the full reports for paying customers) then no, they don't have to do a thing - it's up to users to be aware. & yes, as I said it can give a skewed impression in both categories if you are not aware.

Your link shows the US & EU mirrorless sales arent hugley different, swinging 3-4% either way between the US / JP / EU. I dont mind, we can disagree. (y)
The overall %s may not be that different but how those are made up (brands & models) varies quite dramatically. Japan is a market that seems to be driven by the latest & greatest (& smallest) so the fact that Sony didn't launch any new models in volume sectors for the last 2 years has hit them in Japan in terms of market share (but not, apparently, in profit). Similarly, Olympus was hit previously as it recovered from it's troubles by slowing down new PEN models so this year it has regained share.
Came across another interesting post on Luminous Landscape forum http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=107788.msg889240#msg889240 which probably says it better than I could.

It always intrigues me how different people can take different things out of the same information.

Last edited:
The new lenses look like exactly what a lot of people have been asking for albeit at a price. But if the IQ and particularly build quality is as good as the Nikon/Canon equivalents then it seems a fair pricing guide.

More importantly though I think it properly signals Sony's intentions with the A7x system and that appears to be to make it into a true professional system, with glass to match.

The only one of the camera labs samples that look any good is the guy with tats...... will wait to see a full review but looks a bit underwhelming at the moment....

You also mentioned the world first. There is no indication given as to where the stats cover or from whom they are drawn (& BCN only covers ~50% of Japanese sales iirc).

As long as they make clear how they classify (& they probably do in the full reports for paying customers) then no, they don't have to do a thing - it's up to users to be aware. & yes, as I said it can give a skewed impression in both categories if you are not aware.

The overall %s may not be that different but how those are made up (brands & models) varies quite dramatically. Japan is a market that seems to be driven by the latest & greatest (& smallest) so the fact that Sony didn't launch any new models in volume sectors for the last 2 years has hit them in Japan in terms of market share (but not, apparently, in profit). Similarly, Olympus was hit previously as it recovered from it's troubles by slowing down new PEN models so this year it has regained share.
Came across another interesting post on Luminous Landscape forum http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=107788.msg889240#msg889240 which probably says it better than I could.

It always intrigues me how different people can take different things out of the same information.

Yes I did, but that was followed by a ? not a comma then the next comment was clearly about Japan because I said Japan and Pentax which was linked to the information in the table I posted.

Users to be aware? LOL. Isnt that the point of posting sales figures? So that people dont have to run around for hours trying to find whos 'tweaking' the figures. So how will the figures ever be correct if they classify an SLT as a mirrorless.

But you posted that table which backs up what I said about other regions following the Japanese trend, I just commented on the info you posted about the overall picture. Im pretty sure that the A6k (could be A5k) was one of the best sellers in Japan, it clearly still wasnt enough as Olympus still had much better sales overall especially when you consider they included A mount. I do agree that Sony not releasing anything new has hurt their numbers.

Yes, its very interesting. Perhaps when companies start posting worldwide and regional sales figures for each of their models we will have a better picture of whats going on (obviously they will have to be classified correctly). I think we should probably agree to disagree in some ways and move along.

Last edited:
Looks like anyone expecting individual A6k models will be disappointed (IBIS, 36MP etc). Its only the A6300. The sources got the name wrong.

SAR

The bad rumors:
Sony told our sources the camera name would be A6100 but at the end it was A6300 (a source got the specs right but the name was wrong). And most SR1 and SR3 rumor were wrong (including the 30+ MP rumor)

Where's the best place to get an A6000?

First post so I'm not going to link to shops. If you Google/Shopping the A6000 it comes up with a shop selling for over £100 cheaper, with the 1650PZ, than the comparison site above. Can't vouch for the shop though as I haven't used before. I would have thought it was worth waiting for a bit for the A6000 though as the A6300 has just been announced, you'd think the prices will drop a bit more.

First post so I'm not going to link to shops. If you Google/Shopping the A6000 it comes up with a shop selling for over £100 cheaper, with the 1650PZ, than the comparison site above. Can't vouch for the shop though as I haven't used before. I would have thought it was worth waiting for a bit for the A6000 though as the A6300 has just been announced, you'd think the prices will drop a bit more.

Yes, but they are not UK stock, camerapricebuster has offers from most of the UK retailers for reference. The A6k will drop, its inevitable.

Agreed, will wait for the inevitable A6000 price drop.

Camera Price Buster is always a good starting point, but does have a few omissions.

London Camera Exchange can give better prices, but this is very dependant on what you're looking for.
On the Google list Bristol Cameras come up with a better price than CameraPrice Buster, and AFAIK they are genuine UK stock.

I got the pre-order email from Jessops yesterday and saw the same body only price of £999 (or, as ever $999). It will be interesting to see what price it settles at once the early adopters have bought it but I'm in no rush to replace my A6000 yet. I don't shoot a lot of video and don't have a 4K TV or monitor so that's not a massive benefit for me and I also don't use A mount lenses so won't miss the PDAF for them. The additional focus points/speed might be good but I'm not missing enough shots with the A6K to warrant the upgrade.

I got the pre-order email from Jessops yesterday and saw the same body only price of £999 (or, as ever $999). It will be interesting to see what price it settles at once the early adopters have bought it but I'm in no rush to replace my A6000 yet. I don't shoot a lot of video and don't have a 4K TV or monitor so that's not a massive benefit for me and I also don't use A mount lenses so won't miss the PDAF for them. The additional focus points/speed might be good but I'm not missing enough shots with the A6K to warrant the upgrade.

Lets see what imports come in at. $1k is £700 add the tax and its still only £840 so good to see manufacturers keeping up the tradition of taking the p*** out of UK consumers.

Exactly mate. Whilst VAT and import duty isn't Sony's fault it still always feels like a smack in the face when the £/$ price is the same.

No, Im all for adding it but manufacturers (not just Sony) could at least make it a bit less obvious, call it £900, that should cover all relevant costs. £100 is a fair amount of change.

Back