Sony A7 Viewfinder Question

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
I just got the A7 - first mirrorless camera - I just stuck the lens on (28-70) inside and tried the viewfinder inside the house, it looks flickery and not fully clear - is this normal or do I need to return it?

The screen picture on the screen is fine.

Is this standard with mirrorless?

I just got the A7 - first mirrorless camera - I just stuck the lens on (28-70) inside and tried the viewfinder inside the house, it looks flickery and not fully clear - is this normal or do I need to return it?

If you're using the kit lens indoors, the EVF is probably gaining up due to the lower light and narrower aperture. As a result, the EVF will look more grainy and may look like it's stuttering slightly. Try in a brighter room with a wider aperture and see if it still looks the same.

The difference between mirrorless and DSLR systems is that you're looking through an optical viewfinder on a DSLR (so direct through the lens) but with a mirrorless body you're basically looking at the sensor output (sorry if you already know this!).

What ISO does it show when your using inside the house?
It could well be the EVF is struggling in low light.

The A7 series of cameras (including the Mk2 series) do have a flickering viewfinder. Some people don't notice it while a few do.
When I first got an A72 it seemed ok indoors but when I took it outside the flicker was very apparent to me. An acquaintance had the A7 and when I tried that it also had the flicker although he didn't notice it, a friend had an A72 and his also had the flicker but again he didn't notice it. I returned the camera and got an A7R2 but it also had it, I've still got the camera but I'm used to it now and no longer notice it.
None of my m43 cameras had any flicker (don't have them now) and my A6300 doesn't have it.

Last edited:
Back