Beginner Sony FE 24-105 f/4 G OSS - as a travel lens?

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
What is everybody's opinion of the Sony FE 24-105? Good or bad as an everyday walkaround lens for my holiday coupled with my A7ii?

I would be mostly taking pics of (in this order)

Landscapes
Buildings
Sunrises/sunsets
Cars (especially old VWs)

Lets see some examples so that I can convince myself (and my wife) that it's the right lens to get :)

What is everybody's opinion of the Sony FE 24-105? Good or bad as an everyday walkaround lens for my holiday coupled with my A7ii?

I would be mostly taking pics of (in this order)

Landscapes
Buildings
Sunrises/sunsets
Cars (especially old VWs)

Lets see some examples so that I can convince myself (and my wife) that it's the right lens to get :)

It's my go-to travel lens. I'd like a bit more reach, but overall it's sharp, enough I can crop a little. Only complaint is that it's big and heavy.

If you only want the one lens, it's a great choice. I had it with my A7Rii.

However, if you can manage 2 lenses, an ultra wide zoom and a telephoto zoom may be worth considering.

Perhaps I should add, my normal travelling kit, depending on destination is the 24-105, a 12-24 and a 50 f1.4 or f1.8. I have been tempted by the Tamron 28-200 especially now it's down to £499 grey.

I had the 25-105 for quite some time for my A7Riii and loved it as a walkabout/travel lens. However, I recently changed my lens line up completely, and sold the 24-105. My travel/walkabout lens is now the Tamron 28-200 and so far it hasn’t disappointed.

I bought mine in anticipation of a trip to Granada last October and it worked very well with my A7III for that purpose

It's probably my go-to lens now (I also have a triplet of FE primes: the Sonnar 28/2.8, Sonnar 55/1.8 and 85/1.8 for when I'm that way inclined)

Actually, just saw the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, maybe that would be a better lens for travelling...

Not a Sony (interchangeable) user but that lens seems to have a reasonable zoom range for a general purpose holiday lens. On FF, I use a 24-120 and on crop, an 18-135.

Back