Sony RX100

Nice shots Julian,good to see this thread pick up a little pace.:cool:

I am probably going to get shot down in flames for this but this is my LR process for the RX100 RAWs

Clarity +10

Sharpening
Amount 50
Radius 0.7
Detail 70
Masking 20

Noise
Luminance 39
Detail 59
Contrast 40
Colour 49
Detail 50

Then remove CA
Apply Camera Standard Profile

Then autotone but correct exposure back to 0

Note I have my RX100 set to over expose by 2/3 of a stop in camera

Thanks Stuart :)

Thanks for posting your settings Richie, I don't have set settings, depends on the image

I'm finding in my photos that having the auto HDR switched on on my photos gives them a bit more dynamic range and punch. It doesn't overlook them either but that's my preference.

I'm finding in my photos that having the auto HDR switched on on my photos gives them a bit more dynamic range and punch. It doesn't overlook them either but that's my preference.

Yeah I used the in camera HDR for a little bit, very nice subtle effect I found

Ok, a few more, yes boats again, sorry

8183271326_4705334121_z.jpg

8183248412_27c69fa9f4_z.jpg

Keep the boats coming Julian I'm enjoying seeing them and the colours look vibrant the camera brings out the detail well.

Andy

Right, I am now a fully paid up member of the club. Opening those files in LR4 was impressive.

Back at home, playing with the camera and all I can say is colour me impressed. The Fn button is key - I've assigned mine already, it really feels natural. ISO first, DRO/HDR second, metering third.. and so on. The left button is AF area, the control ring is exposure compensation. That's pretty much everything I do on my SLR plus more in two or less button presses.

Specifically, the HDR mode is awesome - and Sony's in-cam alignment is still the one to beat. The Canon HDR of the S100 etc needs a tripod - I don't know about you guys, but if I had to take a tripod I'd be carrying an SLR or manually bracketing. Having said that, I do have a credit-card sized tripod clamp which might come in handy for long exposures... As for the Nikon's HDR... well, they're behind on that front. The V1 could have, but didn't. The 5100's was poor, and proper bracketing on the higher models requires a proper tripod.. :]

The watercolour and illustrator modes are great fun, I can see more than a few being printed out!

Oh, and the camera feels really well made - a proper little brick, although it's still light and compact. I like the minimalist looks, too - I've seen a few leatherette skins on posts around and for once they add to the look and feel of the camera. A bargain at £429 - if this was a Leica it'd be £899...

Very pleased. Not perfect - closer focus, a faster lens at the long end and a stepped control ring would be plusses for me - but when I sit it next to the D3100 and 18-70 combo [in itself a small SLR setup] it looks tiny, tiny, tiny!

I agree on the function button custom assignments, thought it a bit odd to start with, but soon becomes second nature :)

I am probably going to get shot down in flames for this but this is my LR process for the RX100 RAWs

Thanks Richie.

I'm not sure I understand the wisdom of applying a standard set of corrections to all files - but if it works for you.... :)

I assume you have that as an import preset so it's automatic?

Yes it is automatic and then I tweak from there as needs be. As I have said before though I prefer the jpegs unless I am struggling for dynamic range

Right, I am now a fully paid up member of the club. Opening those files in LR4 was impressive.

Back at home, playing with the camera and all I can say is colour me impressed. The Fn button is key - I've assigned mine already, it really feels natural. ISO first, DRO/HDR second, metering third.. and so on. The left button is AF area, the control ring is exposure compensation. That's pretty much everything I do on my SLR plus more in two or less button presses.

I have mine set ISO on the front control ring.
Exposure comp is default down button and shoot mode left.
Cant remember what is in the fn button other than hdr and effect.

Couple from me, from my walk around Moses Gate.
Did a few HDR but to be honest i wasnt impressed with them, had them on 4ev, maybe too much, but colours and details looked washed out.
Might try lower or try DR instead, I do however like how it saves the normal image as well.
It does handle tricky lighting very well i think though.

Moses Gate Canal by treboraj20, on Flickr

Moses Gate Sculpture by treboraj20, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice shots there particularly the first one, when you say Moses gate is that in Bolton by any chance?

Andy

Well Farnworth but its not far from Bolton.

Ooo look. You can make the lens do pretty things.... :)

2012-11-19_001.jpg

BTW pretty blown away by the video on this camera.

Looking at getting the RX100 some great info hear.....thanks guys
Dave

Does the RX100 suffer from shutter lag and is there a Manual mode setting please.
Dave

I'm back to pondering on this little cam.

I bought an X10 [for herself] - but she never bothered with it. I played with it a bit but there was just ... something about it ... can't put my finger on it. The colours, even at all jpeg standard setting, looked over saturated to me, blues and greens in particular. The images had a slight ... painterly feel. I also felt it was a little chunky, not exactly pocket-size. I managed to sell it on for what I paid for it, so no loss.

I have spotted a mint RX100 on a local used site, going for €420 - which is a great price considering they are up to €630 in stores here. €550 on amazon before postage. Seller has a tonne of positive feedback too.

If I can knock the seller down to 400 inc delivery, I might just have to swoop it up.

This one will be for ME! :D it'll be my travel/always have on me cam.

Last edited:
Found this extended instruction manual 261 pages in pdf format on another forums site I use hope it is of some help.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/42203493
Looking at purchasing the RX100 for £440 less the £50 discount so I think this is a good price at £390 what do you think!!
Dave

Last edited:
Is that from UK digital cameras, if so I emailed them and you cant claim cashback. Thats why its not advertised, seems a bit fishy if its UK stock.

Anyone got there £50 back yet, what takes them so long?

robj20 said:
Anyone got there £50 back yet, what takes them so long?

I was thinking the same only yesterday, but when I got home had a letter from Sony returning my receipt and guarantee, stating cashback card would be sent separately. I sent the claim around 22nd Oct

just ordered a RX100 for £449 less the £50 discount = £399 comes with a 5 year warranty should receive it on Saturday.
looking forward to having a play and reading the Manual
Dave

Is the 1 inch sensor bigger or smaller than m43?
Is the lens f1.8 throughout the zoom range?
What are you finding the useable ISO range is?
How many shots out of the battery?

Ta(y)

Last edited:
When did you send it off, they normally take for ages

Sent it off about the 8th November, so guess i have to wait longer.

Is the 1 inch sensor bigger or smaller than m43?
Is the lens f1.8 throughout the zoom range?
What are you finding the useable ISO range is?
How many shots out of the battery?

Ta(y)

Its slightly bigger sensor 25mm vs 22mm
No it soon drops off.
Pretty happy with 3200 myself.
Over 300 shots.

Last edited:
So whats an inch got to do with it? 13.20 x 8.8 would have a diagnal of 15.9

So why do they say its a 1" sensor?

Because marketeers like to lie.

Just like we measure LCD TV screen across the diagonal (because an almost obsolete technology put a tube there) we measure sensors including the outside glass envelope that movie cameras had in the 80s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor_format#Table_of_sensor_formats_and_sizes

Basically, measure a bit that isn't really interesting and multiply by a made up number to get something you can advertise. But since it's almost standard I guess it will do.

So 4/3 > 1 - but not by as much as you think.

Back