Sony RX100

Seen them now not via the app tbh I'm not a fan of the processing but that doesn't mean anything. Haha.

Apart from that I think they are very good.
Thank you, what didn't you like about the processing? Whilst I felt happy with these, this is just my style, and I'm still getting to grips with Lightroom and suchlike.

Thank you, what didn't you like about the processing? Whilst I felt happy with these, this is just my style, and I'm still getting to grips with Lightroom and suchlike.
Its not my cup of tea thats all mate. If you are happy thats all that matters imho. Ive never been a fan of hdr, the mono ones just make the buiding look soft in my eyes.

But if thats the look you were after then you should be happy. I dont use lightroom cause i just cant get to grips with it.

But yes they are a great little camera

The Blue Lagoon, Iceland Mk IV

DSC01272_zpse8rrldm8.jpg

DSC01269-Edit_zpsd9vlrxwk.jpg

I have a RX100 mkiii which I bought for the flippy screen and viewfinder and love it, I've now had it around 18 months. A friend has got a nearly new mk1 which he has offered me for £150 with an original Sony case.
I'm now contemplating selling my mkiii because I have used the flippy screen maybe 3 times and the viewfinder even less. Both very useful features when needed but I'm not sure I NEED them.
I'm going out today to try both cameras side by side and look at the results on my PC, if there is very little or no difference in IQ, the mkiii will be going. My thinking around this is that I will still have a RX100 but also have around £200 extra to put towards a new lens or accessory for my DSLR.
Am I mad to be thinking this way, has anyone else done the same thing and regretted it?

I have a RX100 mkiii which I bought for the flippy screen and viewfinder and love it, I've now had it around 18 months. A friend has got a nearly new mk1 which he has offered me for £150 with an original Sony case.
I'm now contemplating selling my mkiii because I have used the flippy screen maybe 3 times and the viewfinder even less. Both very useful features when needed but I'm not sure I NEED them.
I'm going out today to try both cameras side by side and look at the results on my PC, if there is very little or no difference in IQ, the mkiii will be going. My thinking around this is that I will still have a RX100 but also have around £200 extra to put towards a new lens or accessory for my DSLR.
Am I mad to be thinking this way, has anyone else done the same thing and regretted it?

I've gone the other way from the MkI to the MkIII and then the MkIV. Reason for the upgrade is I couldn't see the rear screen properly in bright sunlight so I wanted to have the EVF. If you don't use the EVF or the tilt screen then I would say go for it.

The lens on the MkIII is a bit brighter though than on the MkI and also it starts at 24mm equiv instead of 28mm equiv:

RX100 MkI: 28-100mm f/1.8-4.9 equiv
RX100 MKIII: 24-70mm f/1.8-2.8 equiv

The MkI is also slimmer than the MkIII, which is something that I liked.

Got a mint mk4 for sale if anyone is interested

I've gone the other way from the MkI to the MkIII and then the MkIV. Reason for the upgrade is I couldn't see the rear screen properly in bright sunlight so I wanted to have the EVF. If you don't use the EVF or the tilt screen then I would say go for it.

The lens on the MkIII is a bit brighter though than on the MkI and also it starts at 24mm equiv instead of 28mm equiv:

RX100 MkI: 28-100mm f/1.8-4.9 equiv
RX100 MKIII: 24-70mm f/1.8-2.8 equiv

The MkI is also slimmer than the MkIII, which is something that I liked.
Thank you for your reply. I have decided to part with the mkiii and keep the mk1. Flippy screen I don't use and nor the viewfinder enough to justify the difference in cost. The IQ, apart from the difference in focal length, is almost identical so I feel that, for me, the decision is the correct one.

Hello, it may have been asked before, but I'm looking to do some Timelapses with the RX100 III, but because of the low capacity of the battery, and seeing as the camera can be charged via the USB socket, would it be possible to connect a portable battery charger to power the camera whilst doing a long Timelapse? Has anybody done this before?

Hello, it may have been asked before, but I'm looking to do some Timelapses with the RX100 III, but because of the low capacity of the battery, and seeing as the camera can be charged via the USB socket, would it be possible to connect a portable battery charger to power the camera whilst doing a long Timelapse? Has anybody done this before?

Yes I've used an Anker Power Bank to do just that.

I'm still using my mk1 its always in my camera bag when I'm carrying a long lens on DSLR
It's perfect if I want to take some scenic shots while I'm out doing macro stuff and great when out with family
I persuaded brother in law to get one but unfortunately the mk1 is no longer available and the mk2 is a lot more expensive

First time out with my new RX100 MK3
Cameraworld had it reduced by £60 so it cost £492 and Sony are offering a cashback deal of £75 on the MK3. I was slightly shocked though when two weeks after applying for my cashback that I received £150! That was the cashback offer for the RX10. I'm not complaining and at some point I expect Sony to discover the mistake.
Great camera and obviously still learning whats what on it.

Sugarloaf, Monmouthshire by Paul, on Flickr
Sugarloaf, Monmouthshire by Paul, on Flickr

I ummed and ahhhed all day about getting it. Got it on the credit card and was doing some extra work to pay it off. Was going to tell SWMBO once I'd done the extra work tomorrow!

It was a great plan until she found the box this morning!!!

S

History repeating........

Grabbed a mark 3 today [emoji85][emoji85][emoji85]

Ha! still have your old Mk1 here :)

Did you use the filters with it at all?

I was at the beach on Sunday and ended up using the iPhone rather than my slr as it was a pain to carry stuff around! Wanted a decent quality camera that was small. Wifi transfer for social media but still decent enough quality if needed to print out.

Although the pics from the phone are "ok" I'd rather have better quality!

IMG_6438.JPG
IMG_6431.JPG
IMG_6433.JPG
IMG_6435.JPG

I was at the beach on Sunday and ended up using the iPhone rather than my slr as it was a pain to carry stuff around! Wanted a decent quality camera that was small. Wifi transfer for social media but still decent enough quality if needed to print out.

I have used the filters but only briefly. If I'm using filters I'm usually not rushing and have planned the trip so taken my D810 and associated gear with me. The real value of the Rx100 is that I can stick it in a pocket and still get decent images, even in poorish conditions ... the below was indoors in cruddy light but still a very usable image and way better than my phone can do too.
big_sheep_RX100-03862 by Paul, on Flickr

I bought the RX100 III today, having borrowed a II previously I'm looking forward to a real portable camera with decent AF/IQ. :D

Last edited:

View attachment 105922
View attachment 105923
View attachment 105924
View attachment 105925

rx100 is the kiddy, i have the mk3 great for transferring to the phone, then any alterations are made in snapseed before posting anywhere.

rx100 is the kiddy, i have the mk3 great for transferring to the phone, then any alterations are made in snapseed before posting anywhere.

That's how I plan to use it. I have LR/PS on the iPhone so I can do quick edits before sharing pics.

I like the fact it has an EVF and wifi[emoji1474]

Best of all, it generally fits in the pocket.

Got an external charger, spare batteries, pouch and screen protector.

It was an expensive morning!!!

Back