Sony RX100

I have been looking at the Sony and debating, as I also have one eye on the Canon G7X. The Canon is about £500 and looks similar spec to the Sony. Just the RX100 seems so popular.
John if your considering G7x maybe the G5x would better suit.vf etc.

John if your considering G7x maybe the G5x would better suit.vf etc.
One things that puts me off the G5X, and that is the little dome hump on top of camera. I would prefer something neat slim and sleek, and I can only think of the RX100 and the G7X. There does not seem a great deal of choice at the moment, nothing about with manual dials in a sleek format form :( .

Thanks for the tip anyway. :)

Whilst lovely to use, the IQ from the x30 is nowhere near the rx100. I don't think I dared go above iso800 when I had my x30 but my rx100 m2 is fine at ISO 6400.

Rx100 iso 6400
by damianmkv, on Flickr

Last edited:
I have been looking at the Sony and debating, as I also have one eye on the Canon G7X. The Canon is about £500 and looks similar spec to the Sony. Just the RX100 seems so popular.
I did look at all options before I got the rx100 but every comparison came back to the rx100.

Well worth every penny in my opinion. When I'm having a I can't be arsed with photography moment it's my go to you to get me back into the mood

I did look at all options before I got the rx100 but every comparison came back to the rx100.

Well worth every penny in my opinion. When I'm having a I can't be arsed with photography moment it's my go to you to get me back into the mood
Yep, RX100 seems to be ticking all the boxes. :)

haha, yeah it was literally pitch black - I couldn't even see my son, hence his odd expression :rolleyes:

I was thinking about one of these when the double cashback offer was on but let it slip. Think I'll go for one when the next round of cashback deals appear.

I was thinking about one of these when the double cashback offer was on but let it slip. Think I'll go for one when the next round of cashback deals appear.
I am kicking myself for not getting off my backside, and getting one when they were priced at £249 at John Lewis. Would have been ideal with that two year guarantee.

Last edited:
I went from the mark1 to the mark 5, as good as the mark 1 is (and it IS good) the mark 5 is in a different league and I am delighted with it!

Reactions: 4wd
Amazon Warehouse Deals have a couple of Mk Is 'like new' damaged box for £270 and Currys have the Mk II for £359

Amazon Warehouse Deals have a couple of Mk Is 'like new' damaged box for £270 and Currys have the Mk II for £359
Saw one for £270 odd, description is.

"***THE SCREEN HAS LOTS OF SCRATCHES*** In original box (box is tatty). NO manual (this is available on Sony's website). The camera is in good working condition. Cosmetically, the screen has a lot of scratches, and there are a few minor marks to the body. The hot shoe cover is missing. Includes: wrist strap, battery, unofficial USB data cable and Sony charger (with third party power plug). Nothing else is included. Royal Mail dispatch. "

Sounds like that was has been battered. :eek:

WOW I can hardly believe I posted the above so long ago. I never did look into the RX100 any further, it sort of dropped off my radar. I have just been looking for another compact, and my interest in the RX100 has been rekindled. I see the MK1 is still available for sale at about £329. So, is is still a good option today?
I was lucky enough to have the mk1 and mkiii at the same time. The mkiii was the first RX100 I had but got offered the mk1 at a price that was hard turn down. The mkiii has a pop up EVF and tilty screen which although is very handy I just wasn't using them as much as I thought I would. Image quality wise I doubt you'd tell much of a difference between the two. The mkiii has a faster lens but it's also a shorter zoom. I decided to sell the mkiii, keep the mk1 and put the, almost £250 extra money, towards other things. It's not my main camera though so your preferences may be different to mine. The mk1 is still a very capable camera and I love mine.

I was lucky enough to have the mk1 and mkiii at the same time. The mkiii was the first RX100 I had but got offered the mk1 at a price that was hard turn down. The mkiii has a pop up EVF and tilty screen which although is very handy I just wasn't using them as much as I thought I would. Image quality wise I doubt you'd tell much of a difference between the two. The mkiii has a faster lens but it's also a shorter zoom. I decided to sell the mkiii, keep the mk1 and put the, almost £250 extra money, towards other things. It's not my main camera though so your preferences may be different to mine. The mk1 is still a very capable camera and I love mine.
I do like the small size of the camera, I am seriously looking at the MK1. :)

At £270 I don't think it is worth it to be honest, as for an extra £59 you could get one from John Lewis. Surely it would be a better option of paying an extra £59, for buying something brand new boxed and 2 years guarantee.

At £270 I don't think it is worth it to be honest, as for an extra £59 you could get one from John Lewis. Surely it would be a better option of paying an extra £59, for buying something brand new boxed and 2 years guarantee.

I agree :)

Good walking country:-

South West Coast Path, Dorset by Andrew R, on Flickr

It was great carrying the RX100M3 around last week in Dorset - so small & light and yet the images are really good. I found I was using the viewfinder a lot more when outside in the sun

So, been using the Mk5 since New Year, does anyone else feel it's actually too sharp?
I'm shooting RAW and don't apply any sharpening but when downsized anything with a lot of detail can look a bit scratchy, bare tree branches being a particular isue.
This for example I actually un-sharpened it. Flickr seems to exacerbate it..
Maybe it's just me and screens viewed on.

Bridge in a snowy land by Colin Grice, on Flickr

This too though I appreciate it's poorly lit after sunset

New Ravenswick arises by Colin Grice, on Flickr

Last edited:
Anyone had problems with 'delamination' of the LCD screen. Have seen many reports online and even saw a demo model in my local Curry's store which had it. Would really like one of these but this problem is putting me off big time.

Anyone had problems with 'delamination' of the LCD screen. Have seen many reports online and even saw a demo model in my local Curry's store which had it. Would really like one of these but this problem is putting me off big time.

Yes I had a MkI where the screen had turned pretty ugly. However, this was only noticeable when the camera was turned off. Once you turned it on you would not see the blemishes on the screen. If you get an RX100 with a good screen it's probably best to put a screen protector on to keep it that way. I've had the MkIV now for a couple of years with a screen protector and no complaints about excessive blemishes on the screen so far.

Yes I had a MkI where the screen had turned pretty ugly. However, this was only noticeable when the camera was turned off. Once you turned it on you would not see the blemishes on the screen. If you get an RX100 with a good screen it's probably best to put a screen protector on to keep it that way. I've had the MkIV now for a couple of years with a screen protector and no complaints about excessive blemishes on the screen so far.

Yup. First thing I did with mine was a screen protector and a grip!

Yup. First thing I did with mine was a screen protector and a grip!

Does anyone have a Mk4 that they may be interested in selling ?
No great rush, just putting this out there.
Thanks.

This thread has good advice if you are getting into Picture Profiles for video with the RX100. (and several other Sony cameras)
https://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/20843-gfilm-an-easily-graded-flat-profile-for-sony-cameras/
There are some links to download LUTS which work very well with this GFilm setting if you record LOG, however it's mentioned you can use the basic settings on Cine2 and it's damn good from camera but more tricky to avoid over-exposing.

The key point - set your WB manually, daylight sunny or custom as a go to, but anything is better than the too lively Auto.
Be ready to lock exposure if not in full manual too.

I've been tinkering with a few recommended tweaks for a while but this is easily best so far.

Something else important I didn't realise for a while is that Picture Profiles affect your RAW stills, you need PP turned off for good results.
A good way to quickly switch from photo mode to being setup for video is the MR dial option.

Last edited:
My new Mk6 will be delivered today :D...but I'm away until next Tue so won't be able to see it until then :(

Back