Sony RX100

Sorry silly question time. I have searched on the net but have not found out how to or even if it is possible to move the focus point on the RX100 iii. Any pointers please? Thank you

I’ve just never really gelled with it - I rarely use it and recently sold my m43 stuff in a bid to cut down on camera gear.

Don’t have any desire to go out and use it IYKWIM

Thanks - sometimes it’s just a “feeling”. For example, I loved the x100t even though it was fixed lens and therefore “flawed”. Just something about it

For this camera, it’s a tool for memories as opposed to something I enjoy

Thanks - sometimes it’s just a “feeling”. For example, I loved the x100t even though it was fixed lens and therefore “flawed”. Just something about it

For this camera, it’s a tool for memories as opposed to something I enjoy

I've had Six X100 cameras (3xOriginal, 1xS and 2xF). I loved the form and looks BUT for me they were fundamentally flawed. I just couldn't get on with a fixed 23mm lens. I preferred the X30 - just for the zoom. My RX100M3 is basically my latter day X30.

Fair enough. I had a x30 but the iq was too poor to keep ( by that I mean in comparative terms to £ vs xf1 ) so it went quite quickly

Maybe it’s rose tinted specs

Sorry silly question time. I have searched on the net but have not found out how to or even if it is possible to move the focus point on the RX100 iii. Any pointers please? Thank you

Not 100% on the Mk 3 but on the Mk 4 you change the focus area to 'Flexible Spot : S' or 'Expanded Flexible Spot'.

When composing, you then press the centre control button and position your desired focus spot using the directional control pad.

Dougie.

Not 100% on the Mk 3 but on the Mk 4 you change the focus area to 'Flexible Spot : S' or 'Expanded Flexible Spot'.

When composing, you then press the centre control button and position your desired focus spot using the directional control pad.

Dougie.

Thank you, will have a go.

It's generally easier to lock focus on your point and recompose.
I like to have the delete button set to toggle between MF and AFC

It's generally easier to lock focus on your point and recompose.
I like to have the delete button set to toggle between MF and AFC

Thank you, do you shoot using AF-C most of the time or is it AF-S?

8852A4EF-F497-4FBD-B388-F92AB5C7358A.jpeg

The Artic Corsair

Last Sunday saw the Artic Corsair make the journey to dry dock, in preparation for a make-over.
After twenty years the trawler left the river Hull and once more sailed on the Humber.

RX100 - 4

533D09EE-EAFF-404A-9639-37C7031A3D62.jpeg

3 at the Sesh

It was the Humber Street Sesh last weekend.
I liked this group of people taking a break from the music craziness of the Metal stage.

RX100 - 4

Where how ? ta :)
They were on offer on Amazon prime day for £379, and with the Sony cash back of £100 they work out to be £279.

However there is talk about if Sony will honour the cash back or not due to it being a promotion.

Fingers crossed they do..

Bought one of these for my one, it is a nice tight fit. (Peli 1030).IMG_20190815_143954983.jpg

They were on offer on Amazon prime day for £379, and with the Sony cash back of £100 they work out to be £279.

However there is talk about if Sony will honour the cash back or not due to it being a promotion.

Cheers :)

Just had confirmation from Sony that they have approved the cashback claim so all's well

Last edited:
Can I ask if the battery is the same for all the rx100 range, please?
I need xtra battery & a case for rx100m5a so do you have any suggestions, please
Thanks a lot

Hi Angelo,

Quick search seem to point to the battery being the same (NP-BX1), what does it say on the camera you have?

If it is NP-BX1, then I bought these from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074J9QFVQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not used them as much but last a good while, for photos but not as much for video. I do not like charging via the camera so the charger helps.

Re the case, I did not want to go for a leather the one, or the sony one so have gone for a Peli 1030, camera and battery fit in it nicely. Picture a few post up.

Also if you have not already bought some, make sure you get screen protector on the screen especially if you are going to be keeping it in you pocket on days out.

Last edited:
Morning,

Sorry me again...

How many of you use the Sony grip with the RX100? Does it help with anything?

Thank you

Morning,

Sorry me again...

How many of you use the Sony grip with the RX100? Does it help with anything?

Thank you
I have one and it makes the camera less awkward to handle. It's still not great (mostly down to the size and surface finish), but definitely an improvement.

Thank you both, have picked one up.

Any pointers on putting it on? I presume clear the surface and stick?

What do you clean the camera with before sticking it on?

Thank you

Can I ask what setting you prefer for this little camera, please? I had v1 years ago and wasn't too fast at the time. Ended up with m5a but still struggle to find the right balance. My little boy is way too fast and the pics are a bit blurry.
Jpeg size, raw, focus, etc...what would be a master config?
Thanks a lot

Can I ask what setting you prefer for this little camera, please? I had v1 years ago and wasn't too fast at the time. Ended up with m5a but still struggle to find the right balance. My little boy is way too fast and the pics are a bit blurry.
Jpeg size, raw, focus, etc...what would be a master config?
Thanks a lot

Try Shutter (S) Mode at around 1/800 sec with AFC set, also face detect.

AFC is probably best default for focus, if you want to try something macro-ish try the DMF, this is actually really good but no need to use it all the time.
Definitely RAW if you have a decent converter.
The focus is really smart, with lock on options to follow something moving about in frame.

Hello, quick question, please.
Would the pictures be overwritten when the memory card is full? Or I won't be able to take pics anymore? I've got a spare card but I'm afraid not to lose the first ones taken on the existing card.
Thanks a lot

Hello, quick question, please.
Would the pictures be overwritten when the memory card is full? Or I won't be able to take pics anymore? I've got a spare card but I'm afraid not to lose the first ones taken on the existing card.
Thanks a lot
Not tested but thought it would just say card full and stop taking pictures.

Back