Sony RX100

Anyone got or had experience of the "RX100vii", if so I'd be really interested to know your thoughts ? I'm thinking of upgrading from my "RX100vi" for one mainly for the video and external microphone capabilities.

George.

Last edited:
I just pre-ordered the ZV1 after dithering for 3 or 4 days.
I have the RX100v and use it about 70% for video, the improvements on Video side are worthwhile for me and still get the rather excellent stills.
Must say (for Sony) the price is quite keen at £699, from WEX at least you can have that new handle thing with controls for about half price too.

Just ordered the RX100 VII and looking for a soft-neoprene possibly - pouch/bag with a belt loop and velcro or magnetic closing, don`t like zips for camera section, wonder if anyone using anything similar. Cheers

Just ordered the RX100 VII and looking for a soft-neoprene possibly - pouch/bag with a belt loop and velcro or magnetic closing, don`t like zips for camera section, wonder if anyone using anything similar. Cheers

Can't help you with a case Keith, but I should be really interested to know your findings with the RX100VII. I currently have the RX100VI and love it but I'm really getting into video etc and seriously considering upgrading to the VII purely for the extra video capabilities ie better tracking, stabilisation & auto focus, and of course the added external microphone socket.

George.

Reactions: nog
Just out of interest, does anyone have or have experience of using a Gimbal with the RX100 series and if so which one and your user findings and opinion ?

I have a "DJI Osmo 3" for my iPhone and like it very much, so much so I'd like to get a Gimbal that is suitable for my RX100VI and probably an RX100VII in the near future.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

George.

Can't help you with a case Keith, but I should be really interested to know your findings with the RX100VII. I currently have the RX100VI and love it but I'm really getting into video etc and seriously considering upgrading to the VII purely for the extra video capabilities ie better tracking, stabilisation & auto focus, and of course the added external microphone socket.

George.

Getting mainly for photos rather than video but will dabble in video a little, main reason is for something to take when walking dogs rather than a shoulder bag or rucksack however after watching some reviews, especially Mark Galer - though he is a Sony ambassador- I wonder if the RX will be all I need.

Getting mainly for photos rather than video but will dabble in video a little, main reason is for something to take when walking dogs rather than a shoulder bag or rucksack however after watching some reviews, especially Mark Galer - though he is a Sony ambassador- I wonder if the RX will be all I need.

Keith, I don’t know if you’ve used one of these little RX100 series cameras before but the RX100VII has the same lens as the RX100VI and you’ll be amazed at the quality of images that can be had from it, particularly around the F4.5 to F5.6 apertures.

George.

Last edited:
Reactions: nog
My ZV1 from Wex seems to be on the way but still limited stock by the look of it.

ZV-1 arrived but have been rather busy.
However for photos an immediate issue is apparent in that the only software supporting the .ARW from it at the moment is Imaging Edge.
Even Adobe DNG converter is baffled by them so far. You can use Imaging Edge to convert to TIFF then import to Lightroom but the files are about 100mb.
For now I'll probably use JPG
They have definitely made a significant change in the colours compared to RX100v skin tones are generally warmer more like Canon.
Anyone used to RX100 would not feel lost with the controls, but there are various new features and the top dial is 'on the screen' no big deal there it's just different.
Since i never used the viewfinder or the flash on RX100v I won't miss them.

I took delivery of my RX100 mk7 in late March. As the coronavirus pandemic worsened along with the chances on income dropping I did wonder if I had made the right choice. Now I certainly don't regret it. I normally carry 2 D750's with 24-70 and 70-300 lenses attached. For a lot what shoot I can now get away with the RX100. I have attached a JJC filter holder and often carry in a small shoulder 'man bag' along with spare batteries, polarising and ND filters, sanitiser, gloves and a snack. I haven't yet had any flare issues, but have a WA rubber lens hood that doesn't cause any problems. If I then add a filter it does vignette. A filter on its own no issue. 99% of what I shoot doesn't require a filter. I contribute stock and reportage images to Alamy, some have already sold. I do check all at 100% before uploading, sometimes reducing the file size. I don't normally shoot longer than 120/130mm unless for personal use. It's also great for shooting our cat, the RX100's small size doesn't intimidate him.

I haven't used it for video yet. Have been considering the Zhiyun Crane M2 gimbal, but read some reviews citing some compatibility issues. If I buy from Amazon and have issues I can always return it. Any other recommendations for a gimbal to use with the mk7?

I took delivery of my RX100 mk7 in late March. As the coronavirus pandemic worsened along with the chances on income dropping I did wonder if I had made the right choice. Now I certainly don't regret it. I normally carry 2 D750's with 24-70 and 70-300 lenses attached. For a lot what shoot I can now get away with the RX100. I have attached a JJC filter holder and often carry in a small shoulder 'man bag' along with spare batteries, polarising and ND filters, sanitiser, gloves and a snack. I haven't yet had any flare issues, but have a WA rubber lens hood that doesn't cause any problems. If I then add a filter it does vignette. A filter on its own no issue. 99% of what I shoot doesn't require a filter. I contribute stock and reportage images to Alamy, some have already sold. I do check all at 100% before uploading, sometimes reducing the file size. I don't normally shoot longer than 120/130mm unless for personal use. It's also great for shooting our cat, the RX100's small size doesn't intimidate him.

I haven't used it for video yet. Have been considering the Zhiyun Crane M2 gimbal, but read some reviews citing some compatibility issues. If I buy from Amazon and have issues I can always return it. Any other recommendations for a gimbal to use with the mk7?

Steve., this is music to my ears, I currently have the RX100M6 which I love and I’m also considering getting that very same Gimbal that is supposed to work perfectly with my camera.

I have however heard that there is a slight issue with it when using the RX100M7, something about firing the shutter for stills but nothing Too serious and apparently Zhiyun are working on a software update to make the M7 fully compatible. I too am contemplating upgrading to the RX100M7 and should be very interested to hear your opinions with regards to the video functions etc particularly the focus, stabilisation, & tracking. The other reason I want to upgrade is for the microphone port.

George.

On Youtube David Harry suggests the ZV-1 'Vlogger' marketing was probably a last minute marketing strategy to highlight they have finally fitted a fully articulating screen after years of requests.
The inner box and documentation makes no mention of the horrid word - it is just a box sleeve which says almost nothing else.
What ZV-1 is in effect is a light version of RX00vii with more emphasis on video so you have a better microphone and hot shoe mount at the expense of flash and viewfinder
They could have called it RX100-7a and nobody would have noticed the release.

I have just acquired an RX100 mk7 and am after some advice/thoughts on filters.

I have looked at the JJC (and similar) holders, and see that they seem to take 52mm screw filters. If I go this route, any advice on suitable ND filters - for example are the Gobe filters good, as they seem to do a comprehensive range of ND’s.

Another thought is that NiSi do a square filter holder and a seemingly limited range of slot in filters. Again does anyone have any experience of this system and whether more filters are available from alternative sources - NiSi don’t appear to give a filter size on their website.

Any help would be welcomed.

Last edited:
I have a DJI Ronin SC gimbal which is listed by DJI as compatible with the RX100 V and the cable comes in the box. I would suspect that later versions of the RX100 would also be compatible, a trawl around the web might throw up an answer.
DJI are not very good at updating camera model compatibilty. I actual use a Lumix G80 on mine, which works perfectly with the add on Panasonic cable, provided the camera has the latest firmware version, but this camera is not listed as being compatible. My RX100 is a Mk1 and therefore has no remote control capabilty. The Gimbal is superb.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Ronin_SC/Ronin_SC_Camera_Compatibility_List_en.pdf

Having been around the houses and back again in terms of camera ownership and now just wanting a convenient, pocketable compact, I find myself back with a RX100. I had a M1 (or was it a 2?) years ago and found myself wanting something bigger with interchangeable lenses.

Well now I’m back with the RX and looking forward to simply having a compact camera with me all the time, rather than leaving bigger kit at home or resenting lugging it around all day. It’s only a M3 as for my budget and requirements it seemed to fit the bill.

Lightroom Classic and Camera RAW have updates recognising the ZV-1 finally.
For stills something about the ZV-1 is not quite as good as RX100v in my opinion.
I see a slight smearing in distant objects towards the edge of frame, despite lens being essentially the same.
Colours are a little warmer all round it's quite noticeable though subtle in stills, with otherwise identical settings.
Video from it is just lovely though and very easy to use.

Just out of interest, does anyone have or have experience of using a Gimbal with the RX100 series and if so which one and your user findings and opinion ?

I have a "DJI Osmo 3" for my iPhone and like it very much, so much so I'd like to get a Gimbal that is suitable for my RX100VI and probably an RX100VII in the near future.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

George.

Did you end up getting a gimbal? I was looking at this one https://www.hohem.com/products/isteadymulti for my V.

Did you end up getting a gimbal? I was looking at this one https://www.hohem.com/products/isteadymulti for my V.

Yes I most certainly did, I bought the "ZHIYUN Crane-M2" and once you've worked out how to balance the camera and link it up to the Gimbal its absolutely "EXCELLENT". It will also work with my iPhone if I want it to but as of yet I've not tried it.

George.

Yes I most certainly did, I bought the "ZHIYUN Crane-M2" and once you've worked out how to balance the camera and link it up to the Gimbal its absolutely "EXCELLENT". It will also work with my iPhone if I want it to but as of yet I've not tried it.

George.

The M2 is also on the shortlist as would allow a few other cameras to be used and my phone. It does sound like the more robust option so will watch a few videos on it to compare.

Just a simple Landscape type Snapograph taken at Fairfield Kent UK of the tiny St Thomas a Becket Church.

St Thomas à Becket Church in Fairfield stands alone in a field on the Marsh, surrounded by water courses and sheep. A causeway was built in 1913, and until then the church was more often than not surrounded by water during the winter and spring.
Fairfield, the village it once served has long since disappeared, but the church has survived and is now part of a parish which includes the villages of Brookland, Brenzett and Snargate. The church is dedicated to St Thomas à Becket, the Archbishop of Canterbury from 1162 until his murder in 1170.

Legend has it that the Archbishop was journeying across the dangerous Romney Marsh, when he fell into one of the many ditches. He prayed to St.Thomas, as he came up for the second time, for a miracle to save him from a watery death. Just in time a farmer arrived to save him, and in gratitude the Archbishop had the little church built and dedicated to St Thomas a Becket.

Sometime around AD 1200 a simple structure of timber and lath construction was built as a purely temporary measure to provide the local farmers with a place of worship. Temporary became permanent, and the 13th century building survived intact until the 18th century, when the entire timber building was encased within brick walls, and the roof covered with heavy red tiles.

In 1912 the fabric was in a very poor state and a complete rebuilding within the timber framework took place. However, the inside of the church was, fortunately, left untouched. It is Georgian, with a three decker pulpit, box pews and texts boards. The pews are still painted white with black linings.

The interior is pure Georgian theatrics; entering the church is like stepping back into the 18th century. The interior is filled with rows of box pews, painted bright white, with a triple-decker pulpit rising over them and Biblical texts staring down from the walls.

RX100M6, 1/850th @ F5.6, ISO-100, Handheld.
Fairfield Church (Kent)-03454 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y) :sony:

George.

Last edited:
Just a simple landscape/seascape type Snapograph taken at Kent UK of a local Harbour scene.

RX100M6, 1/640th @ F4.9, ISO-125, Handheld.
Harbour Scene (1)-03460ip by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):sony:

George.

Last edited:
I have just joined the mk6 club from the mk4 which will be sold.

The mk6 has come with a smallrig bracket, still not sure if i will use it as it increases the size and weight of the overall package.

I have just joined the mk6 club from the mk4 which will be sold.

The mk6 has come with a smallrig bracket, still not sure if i will use it as it increases the size and weight of the overall package.

That's a positive "RESULT" in my book Simon, they're fabulous little cameras. Congrat's and "ENJOY"

George.

Thanks George, i enjoyed the mk4 just felt i needed a longer zoom range.
In terms of IQ i suspect there is very little difference between all the models unless pixel peeping

Thanks George, i enjoyed the mk4 just felt i needed a longer zoom range.
In terms of IQ i suspect there is very little difference between all the models unless pixel peeping

Simon, The only small problem that apparently is well known with the M6 and also happens on mine is the pop up EVF when flicked up looses its diopter adjustment setting. ie after a few applications the toggle that adjusts the diopter to your preferred setting creeps out of adjustment. I've eliminated that problem with a small bit of "Blu Tac" to hold it in place. And if I remember, when I operate the catch to get the EVF up I dampen it with my finger to raise it slowly.

George.

Last edited:
A couple of photos taken at Purton ships graveyard near Sharpness, taken with the mk4 in B+W to emphasize the textures in the wood

Back