Sophie - 52 for 2023 - Week 52 - Showcase

Week 20 - Robust

The Marine Way Bridge is a well known site when travelling into Southport. It was built to replace the original cast iron bridge that closed in 1990. Has a main span of 80 metres / 262 ft, and a total length of 150 metres / 492 ft. It officially opened to traffic in 2004.

Marine Way Bridge
by Sophie Brown

Week 21 - Near By

Toad Hall located on Ainsdale Beach was originally built in the 1920s and designed to be the start of a promenade that never happened. Mr Brown remembers it as a popular nightclub but since its closure in 1990 it has remained derelict. There have been many applications for it to be rejuvenated however they have all been declined. In 2021, permission was given to artist Paul Curtis to paint the outside of the building to make it look more appealing to the eye when people came to visit the beach. It is now having more work done as parts of the roof and internal structures are weakening.

Toad Hall
by Sophie Brown

Too good shots Sophie, I found your commentary about Toad Hall particularly interesting. It took me a second to realize what I was looking at.

Too good shots Sophie, I found your commentary about Toad Hall particularly interesting. It took me a second to realize what I was looking at.
It’s called a Sand Lizard. They’re known to be common in Southport but they’re very elusive!

Both good images. Interesting info too.. expecially the second. The mural really enhances the building.

Week 22-24 Catch Up Session.

I said we would be back soon! Been busy with house DIY jobs, Mr Browns’ study work and then just work and life naturally!

Week 22 - Irregular

Last autumn my Dad (DB5) came to visit and helped Mr Brown and I build a Log Store for our new log burner we had installed. So much for being able to store them all in neat rows! They’re all completely ’irregular’ shapes and sizes!

Irregular
by Sophie Brown

Week 23 - Rubbish

While Mr Brown and I were doing some DIY on the house, we had some scrap plywood leftover in the top of our skip. A neighbour a few roads away walked passed and asked if they could take them. A few days later, the neighbour returned with the Birdhouse he’d made from our ‘Rubbish’. The only unfortunate thing, is that we have 2 cats, so placing a bird box in our garden is hardly fair.

Birdhouse by Sophie Brown

Week 24 - Sound
I have always enjoyed music. My phone holds nearly every genre from classical to heavy metal! I have played the Clarinet from a very young age, I did do a few exams, but then decided to just play for a hobby. I quite enjoy playing songs from Movies, TV themes and popular anthems. Mr Brown’s personal favourites include; Men Behaving Badly and Ghostbusters.

Sound by Sophie Brown

Last edited:
A fine catchup.

I tried clarinet but I could never 'cross the bridge' with any consistency so I remained devoted to my tenor sax but now play guitar too.

Really actually like the birdhouse, and the clarinet is a nice shot - possibly a little busy with the additions underneath.

Keep catching up!

A fine catchup.

I tried clarinet but I could never 'cross the bridge' with any consistency so I remained devoted to my tenor sax but now play guitar too.

Thank you! Yes there seems to be this strange connection between the Tenor Sax and the Clarinet. It is said that if you start with the Clarinet, you can switch to the Tenor, but struggle the other way round. Never knew why?! The Guitar is a lovely instrument.

One of my biggest regrets is not learning to play a musical instrument. I like the image, there is a subtle difference in the colour and the little marks towards the front adds some extra texture (IMO).

Thank you! It’s never too late to start, if I remember correctly my Dad (DB5) started the Alto Saxaphone at the age of 50.

Really actually like the birdhouse, and the clarinet is a nice shot - possibly a little busy with the additions underneath.

Keep catching up!

Thank you! Plan to do my next catch up this week, will see how the shifts go!

Hello! I have immerged from the dark pit of work and decorating! Lots of catching up to do.

Snappers choice is a blended picture of some of the flowers in my garden along with one of my fairy models. Mr Brown had to help me with Photoshop because it was the very first time I had used it.
I will be starting to catch up more regularly over the next few days.

Snappers with Tech-2
by Sophie Brown

Weeks 26-32 Catch up

Week 26 - Watching

Lily likes being in her hammock that looks over the kitchen/dining area. She is always 'watching' and waiting to see if any treats come her way!

Always Watching
by Sophie Brown

Week 27 - Torn

I quite like my Hot Chocolates before bed, here is one of my favourites torn open and melting into a cup of loveliness!

Torn
by Sophie Brown

Week 28 - Unsightly

For me, there is nothing more unsightly then a pile of ironing building up!

Unsightly
by Sophie Brown

Week 29 - Pretty

My favourite pot with a small bunch of pretty Dianthus's.

Pretty-2
by Sophie Brown

Week 30 - Windows

Along with my hot chocolate, the best way to wind down before bed is to transport myself through the window to another world. I love a good book, and the Harry Potter series will always be my 'go to'.

Window to another world
by Sophie Brown

Week 31 - Abandoned (Lilys' Story)

I decided to feature Lily in the abandoned theme, as that was what she was. She was found abandoned with her 2 siblings during the pandemic. Her 2 siblings were adopted together leaving Lily on her own. Mr Brown and I saw her on the local rescues website, and immediately applied for her adoption. She will no longer have to worry about being abandoned again.

Lilys' Story-2
by Sophie Brown

Week 32 - Possession

Panda, is my 30 year old teddy-bear. He was given to me when I was born, and I have kept him ever since. I have been asked if I would ever think of 'refurbing' him, but I cant. I love his bald patches, his ripped paws and floppy head.

Possession-2
by Sophie Brown

What a great catch-up set - well done!

As the owner (servant?) of two abandoned cat brothers I can relate to Lily's Story. Our two are with us for life.

Great catch up Sophie, like the back stories and can’t go wrong with cat pictures

A nice set to catch up with. Particularly like the window take on the theme.

Weeks 33-42 Catch up.

Sorry there are going to be a lot of pictures loading up! Its been one thing after another in the Brown household, but we are both fine and I have now managed to get round to catching up. I am well aware that some of these pictures will be very much 'Post and be damned'.

Week 33: Machine (Macro Tech)
This is a close up picture of the inside on the car engine. I believe from my very basic knowledge it is the starter motor.

Machine - macro
by Sophie Brown

Week 34: Circles
My 9 year old Tefal Actifry decided to give up the other week, and after much research I replaced it with a Tefal Air Fryer and Grill. I thought its heating element made a good picture for the theme.

Circles
by Sophie Brown

Week 35: Snappers Choice (Motion Blur Tech)
Who doesn't love an action shot of a cat playing?! Our Lily having a great time with her feather toy.

Snappers Choice - motion blur
by Sophie Brown

Week 36: Urban
A picture of some of my local shops in what I feel is a more urban area near to where we live as its a bit more built up with a busy high street and lots of shops and cafes.

Urban
by Sophie Brown

Week 37: Hollow
With the darker evenings drawing in, I thought a good picture for this theme would be my solar powered garden lights which are very much hollow on the inside.

Hollow
by Sophie Brown

Week 38: Solid
With winter round the corner, Mr Brown has been out chopping logs for our wood burner.

Solid
by Sophie Brown

Week 39: Gate
This one is very much a 'quick snap' of what is our side gate. But atleast it fits with the theme.

Gate
by Sophie Brown

Week 40: Memory
A selection of photobooks that we've had made over the years.

Memory
by Sophie Brown

Week 41: Upright
We did a bit of rennervating in the house, and bought some new furniture, one being our rather tall, upright shelf for books, CDs and movies.

Upright
by Sophie Brown

Week 42: Not Forgotten
I wanted to take a picture of my Spitfire Poppy pin badge that I wear every year as my sign of respect and remembrance. 'Lest We Forget'.

Not Forgotten
by Sophie Brown

Nice catch up set Sophie. I like the pin badge!
Time gets the better of us all sometimes - the week's come around very quickly!

Week 44 - Captive

I had trouble trying to think of something clever for this theme and working night shifts meant I haven't found it easy getting out and about between shifts to find a picture. So this one is a shoe-horn from when we went to visit the Welsh Mountain Zoo back in the summer. This is one of their Bengal Tigers. As much as I would love not to have beautiful animals like this in cages, I know that in a zoo like this one, they are there for conservation and education purposes and they all look so healthy and well looked after. This photo required a bit of editing to remove the reflections from the window I was taking the picture through.

Captivity
by Sophie Brown

Reactions: nog
Nice shot and very impressive tiger. We live about 30 mins from there, good to hear animals were well cared for as remember the enclosure for the bear/bears? was very small though that was years ago and IIRC was scheduled for improvements

Nice shot and very impressive tiger. We live about 30 mins from there, good to hear animals were well cared for as remember the enclosure for the bear/bears? was very small though that was years ago and IIRC was scheduled for improvements
Ah yes the illusive bear or bears. We have visited a couple of times and never seen them, we’ve also been unlucky with the Snow Leopards too. But Chester Zoo which is much closer are opening a new section next year containing the leopards so hopefully I’ll get better luck there.

For me, the enclosures could still with being a bit bigger for some of the animals, but I’d imagine they are limited by the space due to being built into quite a ‘hilly’ area.

Reactions: nog
Week 45 - Snappers Choice

As with all the snappers choice weeks, I can never think of something straight away. But my luck changed when my male cat Titan decided to bask in the warmth of the fireplace this evening while I was reading my book. I just couldn’t help but take a picture!

Warming
by Sophie Brown

Aww, two lovely cats. I'd be more likely to stroke the latter rather than the former but he is very majestic. Beautiful detail in your shot too.

Can't beat a kitty pic. :)

Nice details in the Tiger Shopie, better well looked after in a zoo rather than none.

The fire looks nice and warm, we are still bedding in a new chimney liner fitted tuesday.

Pete

Week 46 - 48 Catch Up. (Wall, Autumnal, Arrows)

Whilst out on a walk around the neighbourhood, I thought I would catch up on the weeks.

Wall-2
by Sophie Brown

Nothing speaks Autumn to me like the changing colour of the leaves.

Autumn-2
by Sophie Brown

Directions for the Trans Pennine trail from Southport to Hornsea with a 215 mile trip between the two coasts. It does also have other routes towards Leeds, York and Chesterfield, so brings a total of 370 miles of trail available to walk/cycle etc.

Arrows-2
by Sophie Brown

Week 49 - 51 Catch Up (Wet, Old & Festive)

Wet Hands-2
by Sophie Brown

Grandma Pearls-2
by Sophie Brown

Week 50 - Old is a picture of my Grandma wearing 3 strings of pearls that she was gifted for her 21st Birthday in 1954. One year, My sister, Cousin and I were each gifted a string each. My Grandma is now 90 years old and was happy to see that I wore these pearls on Mr Brown and Is' Wedding Day back in 2021. They only come out for special occasions,

Mickey Bauble-2
by Sophie Brown

Couldn't have a festive Christmas tree without something Disney!

Good Afternoon and Happy New Year! For my showcase picture I decided to pick Week 17 - Liquid. This is because it was a spur of the moment picture, taken on my phone and has no adjustments etc. It was one of my most commented and liked pictures of the year.
I shall endeavor to respond and comment more on everyone's pictures this year! Looking forward to starting it all again!

Milkshake
by Sophie Brown

Back