Sophie - 52 for 2023 - Week 52 - Showcase

The chosen shot is the one - nice kitty too :)

Chosen shot is great - look of focus on kittys face, and nice catchlights in the eyes. Good composition too

Good shots.. my cat never played with any toys (apart from destroying catnip mice in 20 seconds!).
I think I prefer #3 for the compositon and expression. It has a pleasing softness too.

My favourite shot for tunnel this week, you chose the best in my opinion, the expression on Lilys face with big wide eyes makes it a joy to look at. The whole image made me smile.

Went out to enjoy a walk in the good weather this Easter weekend, and found inspiration for both Spring and Smooth.

Spring to me is the start of the growth of new life, so I decided to go out and find some new buds growing on the trees.

Buds of Spring
by Sophie Brown

While out and about, I always walk to this small pond, and on this particular morning it was particularly smooth and still as it was earlyish so the ducks hadn't decided to come out yet. I quite liked how I caught the suns reflection in the water.

Smooth Lake
by Sophie Brown

Getting time for some catch-up comments:

Knob - The crumpets look very appetising! A bit more space at the bottom to centre the place in the frame would have improved it.

Letters - Works well for the theme, I do like the B&W but wondering how colour popping the red heart would change it.

Kitchen - Nicely composed scene, I would have remove the cable at the right. The podster has a very narrow base for the cup, I'm presuming it slides in for a larger mug. We use the Tassimo for our coffee fix but do have the velvetiser too.

Broken - Belated happy birthday, Disney parks are a great way to build up the walking miles. We have been to the Orlando parks many times but never Paris.

Full - Nice variations in the colours, would benefit from extra space all around.

Pattern - I agree that the B&W helps to show the variations in the design more. I get the impression that photographers are creative in general and will other related activities.

Tunnel - That's an interesting take on the theme and the pose is great.

Spring - The composition works well bringing the individual elements together, with the scene framing adding to it.

Smooth - The surface does look very flat, the clean reflection indicating how still the water is.

2 good images for spring and smooth.
The spring one is spot on - good bokeh and the blue sky points to better weather to come.

Getting time for some catch-up comments:

Knob - The crumpets look very appetising! A bit more space at the bottom to centre the place in the frame would have improved it.

Letters - Works well for the theme, I do like the B&W but wondering how colour popping the red heart would change it.

Kitchen - Nicely composed scene, I would have remove the cable at the right. The podster has a very narrow base for the cup, I'm presuming it slides in for a larger mug. We use the Tassimo for our coffee fix but do have the velvetiser too.

Broken - Belated happy birthday, Disney parks are a great way to build up the walking miles. We have been to the Orlando parks many times but never Paris.

Full - Nice variations in the colours, would benefit from extra space all around.

Pattern - I agree that the B&W helps to show the variations in the design more. I get the impression that photographers are creative in general and will other related activities.

Tunnel - That's an interesting take on the theme and the pose is great.

Spring - The composition works well bringing the individual elements together, with the scene framing adding to it.

Smooth - The surface does look very flat, the clean reflection indicating how still the water is.

Thank you Stuart for taking the time to comment on all of the above! The Podster does have a narrow base, so a large cappuccino type mug would not fit, you'd have to support it. Unfortunately Hotel Chocolat have now stopped producing the machine and coffee pods so I've had to switch to Nespresso. I have never been to Walt Disney World in Florida, but are planning to go in a couple of years, because my Dad wants to visit the Star Wars section, and also visit Kennedy Space Centre.

2 good images for spring and smooth.
The spring one is spot on - good bokeh and the blue sky points to better weather to come.

Thanks Peter, I hadn't heard of bokeh before, but a quick google explained. Unfortunately the weather has since gone back to clouds and rain, I'm glad I got this picture on a good day!

Nice colours in Spring :)
Smooth - If possible, I would have tried to get the sun in the top of the shot as well as the reflection (though that may not have been possible).

Yes I was trying where possible to get the sun in the top, however it was slightly too high.

Reactions: LC2
Nice shots for both spring and smooth. I'd have been tempted to get down a bit lower for the buds and frame them with that beautiful blue sky.

I'm catching up again!

Week 15: Snappers Choice

Mr Brown and I were digging up the front garden to plant some hedges, our cat Titan always likes to be around to make sure we're doing a good job!

Clark of Works
by Sophie Brown

Week 16: Connected

I recently treated myself to a new Lego model. Not only am I a Disney girl, I'm also into Harry Potter. So here is an image of me finishing the first part of the Lego Hogwarts Express, all connected together.

Lego Train
by Sophie Brown

Week 17: Liquid

I regularly meet up with my friend for a catch up over some drinks. She recently told me that she is expecting her first child, so we swapped the G&Ts for milkshakes! (And I particularly liked the backdrop that the cafe provided!)

Milkshake
by Sophie Brown

I will endeavor to comment on pictures this week! Thanks for being patient with me and always providing constructive and positive feedback!

3 really good shots, Liquid is the stand out for me, excellent composition with the background and the drinks menu on the table.

Three nice shots :)

GWR 4900 Class 5972 Olton Hall looking good in Lego :D

Nice catch up set.
Another cat that likes to sit on something square - just like ours. Put anything small and square down, and she's on not in a flat.....

3 really good shots, Liquid is the stand out for me, excellent composition with the background and the drinks menu on the table.

Hi, thanks for the feedback, and for also marking it your favourite on Flickr! I have to admit, there was no setting up with the picture, the menus just happened to be there and it was one of those moments where both me and my friend were so impressed with how they looked I decided to snap a picture! I'm not normally someone who takes pictures of their food.

Three nice shots :)

GWR 4900 Class 5972 Olton Hall looking good in Lego :D

I am in my element building this. I love its back story of being found in Crewe, in what is essentially a retired train graveyard, and restored back to life. I have been fortunate enough to see the real one at the Warner Brothers Studio Tour in Leavesden where it was all filmed. Definitely worth a visit if you or children like Harry Potter. (Book in advance!)

Good set, love the cat picture- did he bring the cushion :)

Haha! Titan is very much the type of cat that expects the human to be at his beck and call. As soon as I moved off the cushion within seconds he claimed it.

Nice catch up set.
Another cat that likes to sit on something square - just like ours. Put anything small and square down, and she's on not in a flat.....

Haha! I think being square is a coincidence. If I find a cardboard box of any size however, then he will appear (even from a deep sleep!) to be the first to see if he can fit inside, and then very much becomes the saying: If I Fits, I Sits.

Distant was a tough one for me. But then Mr Brown and I started reminiscing about our first holiday together back in 2017, and found ourselves looking back through the album. Then it hit me: Distant Memories.

Distant Memory
by Sophie Brown

Nice idea for theme, good composition with your eye drawn to the album. Works well in mono.

Great take on the theme and nice mono :)

Great idea and good choice of photos/page in the album, showing the people, the place, and telling the story of the theme perfectly.

Nice reportage image and great for the theme.

Catching up myself Sophie. I like your catchup set especially Mr. Brown.

Distant memories is a great take on the theme.

Great shot, love the over the shoulder view, looks good in b&w too.

Love the picture of the cat for snappers choice and that's an excellent idea for distant.

Good mono, fits the theme and you have shown the crack up well.

Looks like a representation of a spermatozoa trying to get to an egg rather than an actual crack. (y)

B&W works well Sophie, it's a good shot.

B&W really does enhance the crack in the glass so a good shot.

Good mono, fits the theme and you have shown the crack up well.

Good decision to go mono, works really well

Works in B&W for me as well.

Thank you all for your feedback! I shall get round to looking through the all pictures soon!

Back